Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 11:37 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times

Advertisements

Title says it all. Curious to see what people think.

Please leave out:

Houston
DFW
Austin
San Antonio
El Paso

from this discussion all together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2015, 02:07 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
A tie.

Old 08-28-2015, 03:15 PM

692 posts, read 854,908 times
Lubbock and areas near are much more conservative in my experience. Not even close. Though in this case I'm not sure I'd put Amarillo in with Lubbock, honestly. I see a bit more "do your own thing" in Amarillo.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:23 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,970,756 times
I think Abilene is the most conservative town in West Texas due to the colleges which are all Christian. I think it is even more conservative than Lubbock due to TTU. Also, the Church of Christ pretty much runs Lene town.The Church of Christ tend to be very moralistic and puritanical towards drinking, dancing and entertainment.However, its mostly the middle aged and older who are like that.I think the moralism will die out decades from now.

Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
East Texas is more bible belt evangelical conservative
West Texas is more libertarian pro-business conservative

Old 08-29-2015, 11:28 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,219,288 times
West Texas. More white people, more religion and people are nicer. East Texas just makes me think of coocoo dallas and houston liberals

Old 08-30-2015, 08:57 AM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amercity View Post
West Texas. More white people, more religion and people are nicer. East Texas just makes me think of coocoo dallas and houston liberals
Dallas isn't considered East Texas at all, more North Texas. And Houston is really more part of the Gulf Coast.

West Texas is really part of the West or Southwest. It was open range land not farmland due to the lack of rainfall and was settled far later than in the east and was basically unsettled Comanche lands until after the Civil War so there never was any legacy of slavery. Since then it has been settled and run mostly by Anglo ranchers and oilmen. And more recently Hispanic immigrants. The political culture in West Texas is more western. It is deeply conservative but more like say Arizona in political outlook. Anti-government and anti-regulation Republicans.

East Texas is really part of the deep south. It was cotton plantation lands for a century before the Civil War and more part of the greater Mississippi Delta just like Louisiana and Mississippi with a legacy of slave plantations before the civil war and segregation afterwards. Deep East Texas has mostly been run by the descendants of the slave plantations since then. So while East Texas is also deeply conservative it is much more southern and shares more in common with other deep southern states like Mississippi and Louisiana where bible belt Baptists reign supreme and everything has to do with race.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:01 AM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
Dallas isn't considered East Texas at all, more North Texas. And Houston is really more part of the Gulf Coast.

West Texas is really part of the West or Southwest. It was open range land not farmland due to the lack of rainfall and was settled far later than in the east and was basically unsettled Comanche lands until after the Civil War so there never was any legacy of slavery. Since then it has been settled and run mostly by Anglo ranchers and oilmen. And more recently Hispanic immigrants. The political culture in West Texas is more western. It is deeply conservative but more like say Arizona in political outlook. Anti-government and anti-regulation Republicans.

East Texas is really part of the deep south. It was cotton plantation lands for a century before the Civil War and more part of the greater Mississippi Delta just like Louisiana and Mississippi with a legacy of slave plantations before the civil war and segregation afterwards. Deep East Texas has mostly been run by the descendants of the slave plantations since then. So while East Texas is also deeply conservative it is much more southern and shares more in common with other deep southern states like Mississippi and Louisiana where bible belt Baptists reign supreme and everything has to do with race.

I can't rep you again so soon, but I just did, rep.

Old 08-30-2015, 02:20 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,783,535 times
East Texas is more diverse, so I would imagine that it would be a bit more tolerant when it comes to race.

Old 08-30-2015, 11:27 PM

1,515 posts, read 1,523,096 times
Who is dumber the Bush or Trump Families? yep its a tie- (even modern intelligent tests don't reach that low).

Ok if you want the most conservative counties in Texas -its the smaller counties near the Panhandle. Dallam, Roberts Gray etc. They vote literally 90% GOP.
Midland is more conservative than Odessa as it is less Hispanic.

Tyler has the most rabid newspaper and elected officials. Longview -Marshall are more tolerant . They don't have a large Hispanic Pop but they do have more Blacks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas