Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 09:12 AM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times

Advertisements

I don't understand what the OP wants. Does he want to walk in the city (proper) or does he just want to walk anywhere? All cities are different and San Antonio inner city is much like any other big city in Texas. Sorry, that's just the way it is. If you just want to walk anywhere SA has a multitude of parks and walking trails pretty much all over the metro area as well as being surrounded by the hill country which also has many parks and nature trails. This is the lamest excuse I've ever heard and pretty much ignorant as I can see it. Read a little more before posting. Here are some suggestions to get you started.

San Antonio Trails - Best San Antonio camping, hiking & biking trails | AllTrails.com

Top heart-pounding hikes - San Antonio Express-News

Best Hiking trails in San Antonio, TX

LocalHikes - Hikes and trails near San Antonio, Texas

google for many more.

In fact all of these are in the metro area. If you are a big hiker, travel north and you will find more hiking parks and trails than you can imagine.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:39 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,269,751 times
From the post, it sounds like he/she wanted Manhattan, but moved to SA sight unseen. How else could you explain that post? A little research would have shown that no Texas city would satisfy that type of urban requirement. It's like a Texan moving to the OP's home expecting all homes to have spacious yards and an expansive highway system... and then acting disappointed.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:43 AM

40 posts, read 48,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
OP, if budget is not an issue, and you can move to any city - why are you determined to stay in Texas?

My wife's family spread all over Texas and we prefer to stay close.
By everyone comments its seems like we have to get as fast as possible out of the state :|

Old 10-26-2015, 11:41 AM

554 posts, read 745,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedon View Post
By everyone comments its seems like we have to get as fast as possible out of the state :|
... Zedon, There's this old saying that goes something like this: "If Y'all Don't like TEXAS ... LEAVE!" ... But, I'm sure other posters were trying to be somewhat-polite in their comments to you.
Folks in TEXAS are not real 'open' to folks from other places coming-in and complaining about how where they are now doesn't match-up with their idea about how to live (where they've come from).
Most folks who come to TEXAS at-least try to assimilate into the culture, and not bring their old-home-culture with them and try to make their new home adapt to it.

Please don't be offended ... That's the way "LIFE in TEXAS" is. After spending a quarter-life in Granola-Land (What's not 'fruits' & 'nuts', th' rest is 'flakes'), I'm more-than-ready to get back to a culture where a person knows where (s)he stands, th' minute you meet someone.

... We're all different - That's what makes th' world go 'round! ...

Old 10-26-2015, 11:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cBach View Post
Even parts of Spain are as hot as Texas. For instance Seville has an average high of 97 in the summer hotter than average of 96 in San Antonio.

Yet Seville is very walkable.

Heat is not the issue. It's culture.
I think it's a combo of heat and culture. I don't want to walk across a parking lot in Dallas or San Antonio or Houston in August - because of the heat. But also, our culture has not created walkable Texas cities - it's a combination of the two.

But so what? Why did the OP move to San Antonio if he didn't like the culture of the city? As he says, budget is not a problem, which implies that he had and has the luxury of scoping out and visiting various places to settle. He's not going to be able to turn San Antonio or any other American city into Tel Aviv or Seville or any other city culturally. It's a lost cause. He needs to be able to embrace the positives of his new city, wherever it is, or move back to Tel Aviv.

American cities aren't like European or Mediterranean cities. They're JUST NOT and not likely ever to be.

That being said, if he wants to live in an urban core that offers lots of walking, he can find those types of cities in the US (even though they won't feel like Tel Aviv). For instance, he could check out New Orleans. He could check out New York. He could check out Fort Worth. That's just a few ideas but there are lots of metro areas in the US that offer a walkable inner city/core/area.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Or you could focus on the positives and embrace all that's good about living in Texas and come to grips with the concept that when it comes to locale, there's usually a trade off involved. There are very few places in the world that don't require some adjustment and sacrifice while living there.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... Zedon, There's this old saying that goes something like this: "If Y'all Don't like TEXAS ... LEAVE!" ... But, I'm sure other posters were trying to be somewhat-polite in their comments to you.
Folks in TEXAS are not real 'open' to folks from other places coming-in and complaining about how where they are now doesn't match-up with their idea about how to live (where they've come from).
Most folks who come to TEXAS at-least try to assimilate into the culture, and not bring their old-home-culture with them and try to make their new home adapt to it.

Please don't be offended ... That's the way "LIFE in TEXAS" is. After spending a quarter-life in Granola-Land (What's not 'fruits' & 'nuts', th' rest is 'flakes'), I'm more-than-ready to get back to a culture where a person knows where (s)he stands, th' minute you meet someone.

... We're all different - That's what makes th' world go 'round! ...
Someone else said it really well on this thread. What if we moved to Israel or Europe and began grousing about how tiny or expensive the housing is, how our pickup trucks won't fit in the parking garages, how we have to park on the street yada yada yada. People would think we were ridiculous trying to replicate what we're familiar with in a completely foreign country.

When in Rome...

Old 10-26-2015, 12:09 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,890,870 times
Quote:
You're going to have to make a decision about what's most important. Is staying close to your wife's family and dealing with another way of life in San Antonio preferable to living in a big city like New York City where you can walk everywhere but you are far from home.

If you just want a city where you can walk a lot and you don't mind being far from your wife's family, then why don't you just move back to Tel Aviv, where you like it a lot there.

You are not really trying to adapt to life here. There are plenty of parks that you can go walking in to get exercise. Or you could walk around downtown San Antonio even though it has too many bums for you. But NYC or SF will have that too.

Old 10-26-2015, 02:18 PM

738 posts, read 765,532 times
Walkable in Texas without budget restriction would probably best be found in Port Aransas and buying a house on the waterside of Downtown Port A. It's small enough where walking is an option and so constrained cars can be a pain to drive a short distance. Not a ton to walk to other than the beach, small shops, and restaurants but walkable it is. Other than that it's probably any part of a big or medium city built in the 20s and 30s or earlier which can be hit or miss on quality.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:34 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,970,175 times
Quote:
Hello everyone, My wife and I w\o kids moved recently from Tel Aviv to San Antonio and so far we are very disappointed with the city. we used to walk a lot in Tel Aviv and found out it's not even a possibility in this city.
the only walkable area is downtown which means homeless people, ghetto and tourists that come to see the river... besides? there is literally nothing in this area, also it feels like too much up and coming area.
Anyways now we looking forward to move out of here hopefully to find a more interesting place to live in (which means for us more urban area than suburb), we basically looking for a place that feels more youth than old, more urban than suburb, more type of Manhattan (in our case Tel Aviv ) than a 5 acres of ranch and in general we prefer to live in a building.
A friend told us to try uptown and downtown dallas ans downtown austin as well.
can you help us with recommendations about neighbourhoods\cities to look for in texas?

Thanks a lot!

p.s. currently budget is not an issue
What area of San Antonio do you currently live at? Sounds like you moved to the wrong side of town.

I live in the King William area and can walk anywhere. I got miles and miles of the Riverwalk outside my door with no tourists or bums in sight. OK, maybe a few tourists that are in the know and wander down to Southtown or Blue Star. I live in a true loft, it's an old factory. Not no apartment that is called a loft. I'm less then a mile from the center of downtown, some days I feel like slumming it with bums and tourists. I even jog the Riverwalk up to the Pearl on Saturday mornings, the tourists and bums are still asleep downtown. In a few weeks the HEB on S Flores will open up, so I can walk and get grocery's. There are also a couple small markets in my area that I can walk or ride my bike to already. All my neighbor's are professionals, and many of them young.

Looks like you picked the wrong area of town.

P.S.
Downtown Austin is full of tourists and bums too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas