Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 05:53 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
I'm not saying don't go to a Cowboys game, especially if you've bought the tickets already. But if you have a chance, go to a college or high school game too. That's where the real passion is. It's an exciting experience! Don't miss the half time show!

Here's a video of the world famous Kilgore College Rangerettes, and then their proteges - the Kilgore High School Hi Steppers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rkRGu5Rr88

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOJKu0qioDE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2016, 09:31 AM

5,265 posts, read 6,407,452 times
Quote:
New Yorkers have a reputation for being rude and obnoxious,
That's not really true. New Yorkers are picky about how you walk on the sidewalk or subway, just like Texans get 'road rage' on the highway, and get bored of mass numbers of tourists just like any place does. But they are plenty friendly.

TCU is a good enough substitute for UT. You should check them out.

Old 08-12-2016, 01:20 PM

2,511 posts, read 2,216,689 times
If you decide to hit up a TCU for a game I can give a few tips for food, parking, etc. If you'll tell me who they're playing when you come I can probably predict how good the crowd will be. The good games can sell out so you'll want to get tickets well in advance depending on the opponent.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:09 PM

3,491 posts, read 6,976,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand_new View Post
I've had a quick google - unfortunately the weekend I'm in Austin the Longhorns are away. I'll be in Fort Worth when TCU are at home though - still seems like a massive stadium!

Do people go and watch high school games for fun, or is it more just friends and relatives that go to them? Obviously college games are different, just wouldn't want to go to a high school game and look a bit weird!
I still go to high school games for fun and I graduated a long time ago

Old 08-12-2016, 05:36 PM

5,717 posts, read 18,928,902 times
I have a lady friend that has cousins that are from London that live there. When they came to Texas for the first time, the one thing they went wild on was I took them shooting. If guns have any interest for you, you might consider it. You can rent guns at most shooting ranges. BUT, I would also tell you if you plan to do this, make sure to take a friend that is proficient with gun safety. One of the first things I did was go over gun safety with the 2 guys and still when we got to the range the first thing that happened was one picked up an old Colt, pointed it at his brother and then pulled the trigger. Good thing I saw to it they didn't get any firearm that was loaded until they stepped up to the line to shoot with me behind them waiting to take the gun away. Had the pistol been loaded, it would have been nasty. So if you can get a friend who knows guns, it may be a fun thing that you don't get to do at home. Might consider a dude ranch too. You can ride the horses, take the trails on horseback, really get to see some of the beauty of Texas besides asphalt.

Old 08-13-2016, 12:50 PM

50 posts, read 40,390 times
The gun thing is a weird one for me - I hate them but I would love to try shooting one! I wouldn't describe myself as particularly masculine, so shooting a gun can add to my man points!

Never ridden a horse either come to think of it, going to a ranch sounds a pretty cool way to spend a day.

TCU play Texas Tech when I'm in Ft Worth

Old 08-13-2016, 02:35 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
The gun thing is a weird one for me - I hate them but I would love to try shooting one! I wouldn't describe myself as particularly masculine, so shooting a gun can add to my man points!

Never ridden a horse either come to think of it, going to a ranch sounds a pretty cool way to spend a day.

TCU play Texas Tech when I'm in Ft Worth
You must go to that game.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:58 AM

1,442 posts, read 1,341,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You must go to that game.
I second the idea of a dude ranch. Spend a couple of days in the Hill Country. Explore Lost Maples (beautiful in the fall). The best small towns IMO for the area are Bandera (known as Cowboy Capital of the World) with several fun dude ranches, a great old downtown where folks still ride their horses. Visit Arky Blues Silver Dollar Saloon for a drink. It's one of the oldest saloons in the area and great fun on Sunday early afternoons because locals have "pickin'" sessions. Try the BBQ at Busbies BBQ. At night, country music at 11th Street bar. All of this is in EASY walking distance once you hit downtown.

Not too far from Bandera is a little town called Lakehills. It is nestled around the beautiful Medina Lake. The lake has an interesting and rich history the locals can tell you all about. You can also Google "Ripples of Medina Lake". Stop and have a burger or a flat iron steak at Adolph's. The service is slow but the food is worth the wait and the beer is cold. Adolph's also has a great history as well so ask the bartender about it. He is owner, Adolph Jr. Down the road a peice is Dancing Bear Cantina if you want to experience a real Texas country atmosphere that may include a few rednecks but they are a friendly bunch. Shoot some pool, have a beer, enjoy the lake view and listen to the famous Texas accent here but don't eat the food, it's not that good. LOL

At this point, you are right up the road from San Antonio (about 15 miles or so) for planning purposes.

I'd also spend a day or two in Fredricksburg. Stay at one of the many B&B's there. Lots of great shops, German restaurants, wineries and let's not forget the Admiral Nimitz museum (by far, one of my favorite museums ever). Be sure to try a fruit collache while you are in town.

Gruene and New Braunfels are also favorites of mine. Gruene Hall is great on a Sunday afternoon for good old Country music and there are TONS of great shops within walking distance of The Hall. It may be bit chilling to tube down the river when you are here but it's loads of fun.

San Antonio is also MUCHO fun. Tour all of the missions, not just the a Alamo. Do the Riverwalk at night and if you eat at the River, do NOT think that is "puro San Antonio" cuisine because it ain't. It's tourist chow. Talk to locals when you get here to find the best Tex Mex and you'll most likely be pointed in the right direction, hopefully. BUT, you MUST experience "real" Tex Mex.

I'd definitely go see a college or High School football game. We take that serious here and it's tons of fun. Not a huge fan of either Dallas or Houston but both are great for shopping. I personally like the Galleria in Houston.

I hope this is helpful and that you have a fun and memorable experience. Please be sure to let us know how your visit went and what was a hit or miss in your opinion.

Old 11-22-2016, 12:17 PM

50 posts, read 40,390 times
I got back from this Texas trip last week, just wanted to say how amazing your state is.

I've honestly never met such friendly people.

Ended up going to Fort Worth, Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio and Dallas and loved each city. I really didn't want to come home, so envious of you all!

Oh, also went to see the Cowboys play - that stadium is absolutely ridiculous! Been to stadia around the world but that was by far and away the most impressive!

Old 11-22-2016, 02:26 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,346,261 times
Quote:
I got back from this Texas trip last week, just wanted to say how amazing your state is.

I've honestly never met such friendly people.

Ended up going to Fort Worth, Austin, San Marcos, San Antonio and Dallas and loved each city. I really didn't want to come home, so envious of you all!

Oh, also went to see the Cowboys play - that stadium is absolutely ridiculous! Been to stadia around the world but that was by far and away the most impressive!
Glad you had a positive experience. Was the weather very cooperative while you were traveling around? We've had some exceptionally mild temperatures this fall. if you drove down I-35 through Round Rock on the north side of Austin, you missed my house by 3 miles. However, I did have a Brit houseguest from October 28 -November3rd.

There are several more stadiums around the US (and in Houston) that are just as nice/cool as Jerry's Death Star in Arlington. Several years ago we sat up in the nosebleed seats and were somewhat overwhelmed by that mega-TV.
At least the Cowboys are on a good winning streak this season.

Did you indulge in any of the usual tourist junk... uh, souvenir purchases while traveling though The Lone Star State?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas