Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2016, 09:59 PM

2 posts, read 1,249 times

Advertisements

My husband just got approved to have Labor Day off and we want to take a small trip since he never gets more than two days off in a row. We love doing ghost tours (San Antonio was amazing!!!) and I'm also really big into Mansions, Victorian Houses, Plantation Homes, etc. I am having a hard time finding anything in Texas other than South Texas which is a looooong drive for us! We are in mid-west Texas, miles away from the Panhandle, near Odessa. I'm looking for a 4-5 hour trip with lots of historic houses and nice evening ghost tours, even if we have to "town-hop" to nearby places. I know it's vague, but I was hoping someone would have some ideas!!!

Thanks in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 12:04 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,958,837 times
Check out El Paso. It's been many years since we lived there, but the tours that included the Magoffin Home and the Downtown Library were interesting.

Also, Old Mesilla, New Mexico has some interesting

places right on the Plaza, including the Double Eagle, where we obtained some interesting photographs.

The Inn at Cloudcroft (New Mexico) can be interesting, as well. We also got some good pics there. (Say Hi to Rebecca).

Old 09-02-2016, 01:58 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,511,593 times
Don. Probably too east for you. I have not stayed here but we have toured it. Truly, staff are told not to focus at all on possible hauntings. Really interesting small town and Caddo Lake is near, gorgeous yet spooky area.

Editing to say I don't know why the link I'm providing comes up as Don. It's a good link.

Old 09-02-2016, 04:25 AM

11,865 posts, read 26,910,887 times
Waxahachie has a ton of beautiful Victorian homes, but the only time you can tour them is during their Gingerbread Trail in June.

Old 09-02-2016, 07:09 AM

3,842 posts, read 8,277,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Waxahachie has a ton of beautiful Victorian homes, but the only time you can tour them is during their Gingerbread Trail in June.
This is a good idea. Waxahachie also has ghost tours, and supposedly a haunted restaurant (Catfish plantation)! They have the Munster Mansion, but it's not open until Halloween. Very nice downtown for a small town, too.

Galveston would fit all of your checklist including ghost tours, but that would be one heck of a drive.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:59 PM

6,160 posts, read 5,724,115 times
I've always wanted to check out the homes from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre movies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas