Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 10:42 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkman75229 View Post
Ok, so let’s take that route. Dallas voters approved an anti-discrimination ordinance in 2002. It implicitly covered sexual identity but to make the ordinance unambiguous, the Dallas City Council amended the ordinance to specifically state sexual identity to be included. This is partly what started this current push for codified discrimination.

So you see, democracy in Texas is really only ok when it reinforces religious or anti-science (look what the state did to Denton) points of view.

I personally am adamantly against this "bathroom bill". My company is also against it, thus we have contacted Joe Strauss to register our objection and will be putting expansion plans on hold until the outcome of this vote. Our company has very strict non-discrimination policies and we will not concentrate dollars in regressive states. Despite the statements to the contrary that position is not about trying to force the state to do anything, but it is our money and we can spend it where we want.
This right here says it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 12:11 PM

730 posts, read 775,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
Political correctness has crashed and burned, yet the entertainment world seems oblivious. The loss of advertising revenue and slumping ticket sales will break them, eventually.
HRC won the general election, political correctness did not crash and burn as more Americans voted for keeping it than voted against it.

Old 01-19-2017, 08:04 PM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
First off we are discussing what is happening in Tx - and HRC lost and lost big -2nd the houses elections for our state were cleary -vastly won by Repbulicans -

3rd the issue is what our elected officials are standing for - cleary and it can't be disputed the majority of our elected officials won are Republicans and ran and won with Republicans ideals - a look the 2016 map off our state is undisputed -substantially red

yes there are pockets of blue areas mostly in the Houston area are blue -

Again the issue are we going to allow outside forces like the NCAA or PETA or NOW or any other group tells us - though our elected officials how to run the state? Sparkman is absolutely right - its HIS RIGHT to decide how to spend his money or expand His money - its not the NCAA boycott

This state is all about state rights - and we should stand up and be proud that they won't cowtow to these outside pressures.
If you dont like the stances our elected officials take - then vote them out - again that our right -

but as our ex president said - elections matter - and its clear the majority of those elected are Republicans and they were elected for a reason -

I support Sparkman - if he's does like the way texas is ran - leave - i respect that but i have no respect for those who only argument is to call one names because we dont agree with you -

if you dont like the way our elected officials represent us then either run yourself - or get enough of voters that agrees with your ideas and throw the bums out. If you take the time research the past election results you will see county by county that the majority of Texans want to represented by Republicans and those ideals

PS left leaning libelers is not name calling - just like right leaning convertibles is not name calling - informed and educated adults understand what left leaning and right leaning means - at least i did not call you a bigot or racist -

Old 01-20-2017, 06:45 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,744,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ikoolu View Post

-
Its not just the Houston area. Every major city in Texas with the exception of Fort Worth is solidly blue. In places like Dallas or Austin, on a local level, its hard to elect a Republican to take out the trash.

Old 01-20-2017, 06:55 AM

Quote:
First off we are discussing what is happening in Tx - and HRC lost and lost big -2nd the houses elections for our state were cleary -vastly won by Repbulicans -

3rd the issue is what our elected officials are standing for - cleary and it can't be disputed the majority of our elected officials won are Republicans and ran and won with Republicans ideals - a look the 2016 map off our state is undisputed -substantially red

Again the issue are we going to allow outside forces like the NCAA or PETA or NOW or any other group tells us - though our elected officials how to run the state? Sparkman is absolutely right - its HIS RIGHT to decide how to spend his money or expand His money - its not the NCAA boycott

This state is all about state rights - and we should stand up and be proud that they won't cowtow to these outside pressures.
If you dont like the stances our elected officials take - then vote them out - again that our right -

but as our ex president said - elections matter - and its clear the majority of those elected are Republicans and they were elected for a reason -

I support Sparkman - if he's does like the way texas is ran - leave - i respect that but i have no respect for those who only argument is to call one names because we dont agree with you -

if you dont like the way our elected officials represent us then either run yourself - or get enough of voters that agrees with your ideas and throw the bums out. If you take the time research the past election results you will see county by county that the majority of Texans want to represented by Republicans and those ideals

PS left leaning libelers is not name calling - just like right leaning convertibles is not name calling - informed and educated adults understand what left leaning and right leaning means - at least i did not call you a bigot or racist -
Not leaving - Texas is in my blood and my bones. Not lying down and giving up, either - as I said, ancestors fought for Texas at San Jacinto, and worked to found the first county in Texas, and one was a delegate at the Secession Convention, and worked for Texas in every way possible, and THAT is in my blood and my bones, too.

You also are missing a lot about "Republican ideals" (never mind Texas ideals) versus what is being displayed right now by some of our legislators - you are seeing Tea Party ideals displayed by some of them, a far, far cry from true Republican ideals and and even further cry from the ideals put forth by the founders of our country in that document that ALL are to uphold and obey, the Constitution of the United States of America. (That is also in my blood and my bones.) Note Article Six, paragraphs two and three, of that document:

"This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

The Senators and Representatives before mentioned, and the Members of the several State Legislatures, and all executive and judicial Officers, both of the United States and of the several States, shall be bound by Oath or Affirmation, to support this Constitution; but no religious Test shall ever be required as a Qualification to any Office or public Trust under the United States."

Heck, I was a preacher's kid in deep East Texas in the 1950's and even I was taught that as a young child, it being part of my heritage. It was reinforced when I was a teenager in Dallas, and again when I moved to Central Texas. As I said, you came here with stereotypes of Texas that fed your own world view, and now that you are here, you can't see past those and some statistics to what's really there. Not unusual in those who see the world in stereotypes, and there are more than a few. Sad, really.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM

2,511 posts, read 2,215,003 times
Quote:
I find it interesting that your list didn't include any conservative groups or individuals such as Focus on the Family or the Koch brothers not to mention the Russians. Is it okay for them to come in and try to tell us what to do?

Old 01-20-2017, 07:15 AM

716 posts, read 539,606 times
lol i love your response - dont be sad - today is a great day we get a new President who will lead us to prosperity our children and grandchildren will be so much better off -2nd you may need to reread the post- this is not about the US constitution - we were discussing States Rights - and Texas is all about STATES RIGHTS - the discussion is about outside influences and the impact on our State-

Again you are one the that thinks you know whats Texas is about - again you are assuming i dont know Texas - Again you can't cope with the fact the majority of Texans are in fact conservative - you are in there minority - period - a better argument would be to discuss and change the views of the majority rather than attacking and using vile and nasty words against those who do not agree with you

But keep fighting for your side - i doubt your ideas will ever be the majority here but i respect your right to disagree - maybe you should take a look inward - we should be able to have a cilvil discussion on issues we care about without the name calling - but as i seen all my life - the left first defense to the R word and B word - you will never convince others when you use those kinds of hateful words - anyway watch Trump @ Noon - And lets make America - and Texas even greater than it is---- Again -

Old 01-20-2017, 08:07 AM

Quote:
lol i love your response - dont be sad - today is a great day we get a new President who will lead us to prosperity our children and grandchildren will be so much better off -2nd you may need to reread the post- this is not about the US constitution - we were discussing States Rights - and Texas is all about STATES RIGHTS - the discussion is about outside influences and the impact on our State-

Again you are one the that thinks you know whats Texas is about - again you are assuming i dont know Texas - Again you can't cope with the fact the majority of Texans are in fact conservative - you are in there minority - period - a better argument would be to discuss and change the views of the majority rather than attacking and using vile and nasty words against those who do not agree with you

But keep fighting for your side - i doubt your ideas will ever be the majority here but i respect your right to disagree - maybe you should take a look inward - we should be able to have a cilvil discussion on issues we care about without the name calling - but as i seen all my life - the left first defense to the R word and B word - you will never convince others when you use those kinds of hateful words - anyway watch Trump @ Noon - And lets make America - and Texas even greater than it is---- Again -
You keep ignoring the fact that I have told you more than once that I am neither liberal nor conservative. That gives me a leg up on those who tie their brains to one party line (on either side) rather than looking at all parts of the equation. In some things I am more liberal, some more conservative, mostly more or less in the middle, depending on the topic. Of late, I've found myself more moderate than either side because I spend a lot of my time researching facts (much more necessary now than in any time I can remember, and I've been addicted to research since before I learned to read) and both sides seem to be lax at that, though the right, due to Tea Party influence, seems to be much worse and mostly not even interested in facts this past election cycle.

As for name calling, I looked at your posts on other threads, not just the ones we are both on. Seems like you are quite the expert practitioner at that. Glass houses and all that would seem to apply here.

Again, what are you talking about when you reference the "r" word? I can't find anything it would fit in reviewing my posts here; is it something you hear a lot from others and are throwing it in here? If so, and you hear it a lot from different people, you might want to consider what is the common denominator in that equation.

Old 01-20-2017, 09:01 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,289,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
You keep ignoring the fact that I have told you more than once that I am neither liberal nor conservative. That gives me a leg up on those who tie their brains to one party line (on either side) rather than looking at all parts of the equation. In some things I am more liberal, some more conservative, mostly more or less in the middle, depending on the topic. Of late, I've found myself more moderate than either side because I spend a lot of my time researching facts (much more necessary now than in any time I can remember, and I've been addicted to research since before I learned to read) and both sides seem to be lax at that, though the right, due to Tea Party influence, seems to be much worse and mostly not even interested in facts this past election cycle.

As for name calling, I looked at your posts on other threads, not just the ones we are both on. Seems like you are quite the expert practitioner at that. Glass houses and all that would seem to apply here.

Again, what are you talking about when you reference the "r" word? I can't find anything it would fit in reviewing my posts here; is it something you hear a lot from others and are throwing it in here? If so, and you hear it a lot from different people, you might want to consider what is the common denominator in that equation.
It's racist. I think snowflake needs a cuddle puppy.

Old 01-21-2017, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
It's racist. I think snowflake needs a cuddle puppy.
Ah! Don't think in any of our discussions I've used that word - there's more than one kind of bigotry, after all, it's an attitude in search of a target. Maybe I'm being confused with someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas