Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 09:04 AM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times

Advertisements

Then what is it about Austin that captures all the attention? I was walking around downtown Houston and marveled at all the recent development and thought to myself that it's looking like a real deal city now. It felt as though I was in a mini-Chicago or something of that nature, real cosmopolitan. How does Houston get slammed but Austin gets praised?

Same thing with SA. They make it seem as though it's Oakland to Austin's San Francisco. The architecture seems to be fascinating and it has a character that reminds me of a Spanish/Mexican/Mexican-American version of New Orleans. I imagine the culture there with it's heavy Mexican influence must be great as I was looking for the level of influence of Mexican culture that I saw in Los Angeles but couldn't find in Houston. I am sure it's in SA.

How is the Mexican food there? Can you find authentic Mexican food from all regions? I love food from the region of Oaxaca.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2017, 01:18 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Then what is it about Austin that captures all the attention? I was walking around downtown Houston and marveled at all the recent development and thought to myself that it's looking like a real deal city now. It felt as though I was in a mini-Chicago or something of that nature, real cosmopolitan. How does Houston get slammed but Austin gets praised?

Same thing with SA. They make it seem as though it's Oakland to Austin's San Francisco. The architecture seems to be fascinating and it has a character that reminds me of a Spanish/Mexican/Mexican-American version of New Orleans. I imagine the culture there with it's heavy Mexican influence must be great as I was looking for the level of influence of Mexican culture that I saw in Los Angeles but couldn't find in Houston. I am sure it's in SA.

How is the Mexican food there? Can you find authentic Mexican food from all regions? I love food from the region of Oaxaca.
I like the Mexican food in SA.I am not for sure if you can find food from all the regions of Mexico as we just eat Tex-Mex there.

Old 01-31-2017, 03:46 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Economically there probably isn't as much going on as the other cities. Austin has tech, Houston has oil and medical, and DFW has a whole bunch of everything. But there is development going on in SA for sure. And unlike Austin, Houston and DFW, I rarely hear many negative comments about it. Most Texans seem to like it.

Old 01-31-2017, 07:49 PM

Well isn't just as pretty as Austin nature wise?

Old 01-31-2017, 08:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,942,903 times
Quote:
North it's really pretty starting around bulverde. Actually the southwest portion down near Castroville is scenic too. Due south isn't all that great though.

Old 01-31-2017, 08:10 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:

Don't get too carried away: Downtown Houston is still very dead and is a work in progress. They've build high rises but demolished a lot of them, too, unfortunately. It's close to forming a restaurant district but still has a way to go.

Good things about Houston: many sub districts with buildings, good population of 2,240,000, big city amenities like theaters, sport teams and etc, and finally an international airport with Hobby airport.

Old 01-31-2017, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Don't get too carried away: Downtown Houston is still very dead and is a work in progress. They've build high rises but demolished a lot of them, too, unfortunately. It's close to forming a restaurant district but still has a way to go.

Good things about Houston: many sub districts with buildings, good population of 2,240,000, big city amenities like theaters, sport teams and etc, and finally an international airport with Hobby airport.
Well I meant to say all of inner loop not just downtown. I was just impressed at the new buildings. There's a new one that reminds a bit of the Wilshire Grand in downtown LA. I just found it to be perfectly understated. I liked how it wasn't too packed and that it was a little less crowded than midtown and uptown. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

I do get it's a work in progress but I like it as is and don't want to see it overrun. But even with Houston's burgeoning development how is it not a notch above Austin? Do SA and Austin have a more developed core and offer more urban amenities? I could see SA having some of it but I just think Houston is the most complete Texas city even if it's still in development

Old 01-31-2017, 09:58 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
Quote:
My part of SA is rolling hills much like Austin. I think I recall someone mentioning it to you in the past and you liked the area - Stone Oak. Besides the hills it is also a popular location for Mexican Nationals. Not so sure about Oaxacan cuisine, but many of the Mexican restaurants out here are not Tex-Mex. The bulk of the transplants are from Guadalajara (big influx about 9 years ago) and Monterrey (lots and lots since the cartel violence escalated). One of the country club areas, Sonterra, is sometimes dubbed Sonterrey. At my son's school we have volunteer moms from a Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Korea, India, etc. so for SA it's pretty diverse. It is a more conservative and family oriented part of town but the nightlife has picked up a lot in the last few years.

There is very much a Mexican influence in SA. If you're not but grew up here you learn to love it and speak enough Spanish to order the yummy food correctly. Lots of Texas history here to be proud of as well from Crockett and Bowie to De Zavala and Seguin. As an added bonus Boerne, Fredericksburg, Gruene and New Braunfels are a short drive if you want a dose of German Texas flavor.

Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat4 View Post
My part of SA is rolling hills much like Austin. I think I recall someone mentioning it to you in the past and you liked the area - Stone Oak. Besides the hills it is also a popular location for Mexican Nationals. Not so sure about Oaxacan cuisine, but many of the Mexican restaurants out here are not Tex-Mex. The bulk of the transplants are from Guadalajara (big influx about 9 years ago) and Monterrey (lots and lots since the cartel violence escalated). One of the country club areas, Sonterra, is sometimes dubbed Sonterrey. At my son's school we have volunteer moms from a Mexico, Peru, Brazil, Korea, India, etc. so for SA it's pretty diverse. It is a more conservative and family oriented part of town but the nightlife has picked up a lot in the last few years.

There is very much a Mexican influence in SA. If you're not but grew up here you learn to love it and speak enough Spanish to order the yummy food correctly. Lots of Texas history here to be proud of as well from Crockett and Bowie to De Zavala and Seguin. As an added bonus Boerne, Fredericksburg, Gruene and New Braunfels are a short drive if you want a dose of German Texas flavor.
I loved the Mexican influence in Los Angeles and it seemed to really add to the character of that city. I just feel as though a lot of the Mexican culture is a bit suppressed in places such as Austin and in Houston but I picture the culture to be very lively and wholly celebrated in SA as much as it is in Los Angeles, and as much as French/Creole-Cajun culture is in New Orleans. I think I saw something in SA that was akin to Olvera St in Los Angeles where they sell all these artisanal Mexican stuff. And there must be Day of the Dead parades and such, no?

Old 01-31-2017, 11:12 PM

3,335 posts, read 2,923,136 times
Quote:
Well I meant to say all of inner loop not just downtown. I was just impressed at the new buildings. There's a new one that reminds a bit of the Wilshire Grand in downtown LA. I just found it to be perfectly understated. I liked how it wasn't too packed and that it was a little less crowded than midtown and uptown. I'd live there in a heartbeat.

I do get it's a work in progress but I like it as is and don't want to see it overrun. But even with Houston's burgeoning development how is it not a notch above Austin? Do SA and Austin have a more developed core and offer more urban amenities? I could see SA having some of it but I just think Houston is the most complete Texas city even if it's still in development
Austin has the most vibrant downtown and the most construction going in the downtown core. It's very popular for hipsters. It's also the state capital. Houston is better off than San Antonio and Dallas. It has better population and more diversity. Dallas is fancier but Houston is a working class down to earth city with some class in Bellaire/ Galleria.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas