Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2017, 11:34 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,005,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by the topper View Post
Austin has the most vibrant downtown and the most construction going in the downtown core. It's very popular for hipsters. It's also the state capital. Houston is better off than San Antonio and Dallas. It has better population and more diversity. Dallas is fancier but Houston is a working class down to earth city with some class in Bellaire/ Galleria.
The new development I saw in Houston around the Galleria and downtown was not working class, but I get what you mean. It has a long way to go to catch up with Dallas but is Dallas just that fancy? I mean is what I saw as far the new development in Upper Kirby, Galleria, and downtown just the norm in Dallas? If so, that's swank and I should visit!

I know Austin would have the most vibrant downtown core but has it grown into anything more than it's former college town self? I mean is it bordering on Houston territory as far as urbanity? I mean what is the big appeal? Is the lifestyle there just that rock star?

San Antonio to me doesn't have to be either like Dallas, Houston or Austin. It's the State historical tourist destination. It's our San Francisco, New Orleans and Savannah, Georgia. It doesn't need to change into something bigger because it's already grand.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2017, 10:41 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,371,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
Well isn't just as pretty as Austin nature wise?
I think the nature around S/A is really pretty on the north side.I dont know if it would be as pretty as Austin but its close.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:05 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,507 times
Quote:
I loved the Mexican influence in Los Angeles and it seemed to really add to the character of that city. I just feel as though a lot of the Mexican culture is a bit suppressed in places such as Austin and in Houston but I picture the culture to be very lively and wholly celebrated in SA as much as it is in Los Angeles, and as much as French/Creole-Cajun culture is in New Orleans. I think I saw something in SA that was akin to Olvera St in Los Angeles where they sell all these artisanal Mexican stuff. And there must be Day of the Dead parades and such, no?
I don't know Houston well, but your impressions about Mexican culture in Austin and San Antonio are correct. It's not so much suppressed in Austin, it just hasn't entered the mainstream, while it IS the mainstream in San Antonio. That's a huge part of its charm.

Old 02-01-2017, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
I don't know Houston well, but your impressions about Mexican culture in Austin and San Antonio are correct. It's not so much suppressed in Austin, it just hasn't entered the mainstream, while it IS the mainstream in San Antonio. That's a huge part of its charm.
That's a notch on Austins belt then cus I didn't know Austin has a vibrant Mexican culture. The reason why I say it's a bit suppressed or under stated in Houston is because it's a part of the main culture of Houston. In LA I didn't even know half of what I learned about Mexican culture while there and I lived around Mexican people my whole life in Houston. There are people in Houston who claim to love "Mexican" food but have never heard of horchata. In LA you could get an horchata latte at a coffee shop. Day of the dead is celebrated. You could get real Mexican food everywhere without it being a taqueria or too exotic for the local populace.
I picture San Antonio to be like that.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:52 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,810 times
Quote:
I loved the Mexican influence in Los Angeles and it seemed to really add to the character of that city. I just feel as though a lot of the Mexican culture is a bit suppressed in places such as Austin and in Houston but I picture the culture to be very lively and wholly celebrated in SA as much as it is in Los Angeles, and as much as French/Creole-Cajun culture is in New Orleans. I think I saw something in SA that was akin to Olvera St in Los Angeles where they sell all these artisanal Mexican stuff. And there must be Day of the Dead parades and such, no?
Sorry, just got home after setting up our Book Fair. I think you could find the shopping you're looking for in SA at El Mercado in La Villita downtown. My friends and I do a Fiesta shopping trip each year down there. Fiesta of course is celebrated throughout the city with multiple and diverse events. The schools even get a day off for the Battle of Flowers parade.

Not sure of a Day of the Dead parade but there was a Day of the Dead display at my son's school this year and there's usually stories on the local news focusing on it.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:58 PM

65 posts, read 84,399 times
Quote:
That's a notch on Austins belt then cus I didn't know Austin has a vibrant Mexican culture. The reason why I say it's a bit suppressed or under stated in Houston is because it's a part of the main culture of Houston. In LA I didn't even know half of what I learned about Mexican culture while there and I lived around Mexican people my whole life in Houston. There are people in Houston who claim to love "Mexican" food but have never heard of horchata. In LA you could get an horchata latte at a coffee shop. Day of the dead is celebrated. You could get real Mexican food everywhere without it being a taqueria or too exotic for the local populace.
Not really Mexican mostly or almost entirely just tex-mex.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:15 PM

5,287 posts, read 5,784,290 times
Quote:
Not so much, in my experience. San Antonio is dominated by Tejano culture and most of the food is Tex-Mex. To my knowledge, Los Angeles has a greater share of Mexican immigrants.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:20 PM

Oh wow, with SA being almost a majority Mexican or Mexican American, I am surprised there isn't more varied real Mexican cuisine. Even Houston has a wide variety of real Mexican food.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:45 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,224,507 times
Quote:
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, but Austin doesn't have much of a Mexican or Tex-Mex culture -- nothing like San Antonio.

Old 02-01-2017, 04:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kthnry View Post
Sorry, I probably wasn't clear, but Austin doesn't have much of a Mexican or Tex-Mex culture -- nothing like San Antonio.
Not even Tex Mex? Now that surprises me. You're saying it's just BBQ as far as local cultural cuisine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas