Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 02:47 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,369,016 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoccieHobNob View Post
You also chose food as a username I see.

I see Texas as a place that will be different each place I see in Texas. I do expect superior outdoors activities and more animals in public than here in Britain. I expect more freedom than I get in Britain as the few rights I have available to me I need our state to sell me a license for like fishing. In Texas the government will leave me to my devices as long as I continue to be an honest citizen where as the UK government have a hand absolutely everything. I'm surprised I can take a dump without a governing body getting involved.
The Texas Parks and Wildlife Department requires all hunters and anglers to purchase hunting/fishing licenses.Also, hunters safety is a requirement if you were born after a certain date.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 07:57 PM

6,790 posts, read 2,897,870 times
Methinks yet another "I'm moving to 'wherever' because the movies make it seem appealing" type of thread. The OP, sounding very immature for the most part, really does not seem to have thought this through at all.

Old 02-16-2017, 04:25 AM

44 posts, read 42,361 times
I've not mentioned movies I've listed plenty of reasons why I want a move and why Texas but nothing on movies so to make judgments on something I have not said is hardly the pinnacle of maturity either.

Old 02-16-2017, 07:28 AM

12,946 posts, read 13,328,106 times
Quote:
I've not mentioned movies I've listed plenty of reasons why I want a move and why Texas but nothing on movies so to make judgments on something I have not said is hardly the pinnacle of maturity either.

But it is wise to make sure you'll be able to secure decent employment prior to making the big jump.

Brit visitors seem surprised that Texas is not all desert & cactus (primarily the far southwestern 1/4 of the state). The majority is very green. Just type "Texas Hill Country" in Google Images.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:56 AM

I'm expecting bars with country music in the background... Hopefully I can light up a cigarette in these bars too...I would look to invest in Texas and trade, but I do enjoy a little graft too.

My wife has a question, she says she doesn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere but she doesn't want big cities with big traffic and congestion in the shopping malls and in the towns etc, what sort of places would be better for her?

Old 02-16-2017, 10:09 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,344,024 times
Quote:
Hello everybody. I am a 30 year old man from Great Britain. I have created a thread to ask Texans for advice on moving to Texas once I am done in the British Army to raise a family with my partner and work hard and do what is rarely done here in Britain and immerse ourselves in your famous culture and assimilate. We are conservatives and Christians too. I enjoy fishing and are a pretty outdoorsy person.

I am not a big city person as I prefer the more rural/quieter towns I do appreciate beautiful scenery such as trails, lakes, rivers and mountains and I would like to enjoy the Texan culture I have heared so much about such as lively saloon bars and rodeo shows and shooting ranges too. My question is what kind of places in Texas would Texans suggest based on what I have wrotenand affordability also.

I am unsure if this helps but I have always held a soft spot for country and western music too
I'm not a city person myself but please take a look at Lubbock in west Texas as well as the rural areas surrounding it. Real estate here is still inexpensive and the people of Lubbock are still small-town friendly. Although the Texas South High Plains is so flat it can make you believe the Earth really is flat, the New Mexico mountains are only a short drive away. I can't speak for hunting on the expansive Federal lands in New Mexico as it has been many years since I hunted deer, elk and birds there but it used to be great. Texas large game hunting is primarily on privately owned land by lease or permit but there is plenty of that out here.

I should mention that many will tell you the Texas South Plains is running out of water and that's probably true. We've been "running out of water" for the entire 50 years since I moved from eastern Texas. Who needs a bath anyway?

As far as shooting, I can do that in my front yard since our 20 acres (8.1 hectares) is surrounded by thousands of acres of grassland and farmland. I have to do this quite often to subdue our huge cottontail population that surrounds this old farm place. As well, we often have deer in our yard.

If you like country music, Lubbock and the surrounding area have produced many artists (//www.city-data.com/forum/lubbo...t-present.html). And if you happen to play a musical instrument (guitar, mandolin, piano, etc.) and aren't too good at it , I may not be able to readily offer you a cold beer but I'll sure offer you a few jam sessions. I grew up in Texas at a time that every mother's son was expected to be a guitar picker.

At any rate, at our age my wife and I may be too conservative for you but we wish you all of God's blessings in your possible decision to make America your home. My guess is that you would do well anywhere in the U.S.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I may be too conservative for you but we wish you all of God's blessings in your possible decision to make America your home. My guess is that you would do well anywhere in the U.S.
I'm a small government conservative myself and if I would have supported Ted Cruz in the primaries and although the current Republican administration has it's flaws I'm sure it's successes will more than compensate. The only British PM I have been happy with was Maggie Thatcher as she made a middle class out of thin air here.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:48 AM

4,573 posts, read 6,778,942 times
Regarding wife: New Braunfels is a suburb of San Antonio, but might fit the bill. (do a search here for "Braunfels" or "Gruene Hall". Kerrville is nice, as is Bandera. Maybe Stephenville...or Lampasas?

Quote:
I'm expecting bars with country music in the background... Hopefully I can light up a cigarette in these bars too...I would look to invest in Texas and trade, but I do enjoy a little graft too.

My wife has a question, she says she doesn't want to be out in the middle of nowhere but she doesn't want big cities with big traffic and congestion in the shopping malls and in the towns etc, what sort of places would be better for her?
Regarding Country "bars".... we call them Honky Tonks. Here's a start:

Best Texas Dance Halls

The Best Honky-Tonks in Texas | Frommer's

6 Must See Central Texas Dance Halls

I'm guessing that most of them will require you to step outside to smoke. (not sure though).

Old 02-16-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I'm a small government conservative myself and if I would have supported Ted Cruz in the primaries and although the current Republican administration has it's flaws I'm sure it's successes will more than compensate. The only British PM I have been happy with was Maggie Thatcher as she made a middle class out of thin air here.
In a thread this week someone had mentioned a quote from the British statesman John Lubbock (April 30, 1834 - May 28, 1913). Out of curiosity, I did a little online research and found that John probably held no known kinship to Tom S. Lubbock the namesake of Lubbock, Texas. Anyway, among the quotes of John Lubbock I found this one which I have found to be extremely true.

What we see depends mainly on what we look for. - John Lubbock

I've lived in other states and I know Texas has many faults. And, according to many, west Texas probably has most of those faults. However, for all its faults, I've always seen Texas as my home. Since you too see Texas in a positive light, it seems very possibly it could be your sucessful future home.

I would enjoy meeting you.

BTW: I have a niece who lives in London. I've never even had the opportunity to fly through England.

Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 AM

And no. I have never played behind chicken wire. I've given it some amusing thought though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas