Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 11:30 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,669,863 times

Advertisements

Originally Posted by lifertexan
...people that repair lawn mowers on the living room floor.

Originally Posted by jaxart
LOL!
That's a new one on me and a keeper for sure! Reminds me of motel owner's complaints about motorcyclist's who maintain their machines in the rooms.

Along that same vein...while stationed at Dyess AFB (Abilene) and living in the dorm, the guy in the next room decided to paint his motorcycle parts in his room during the night. I woke up gagging in the middle of the night from all the paint fumes. I probably saved his and my life by banging on his door until he woke up and taking the painted parts out of his room and opening up the windows (middle of winter though).

To OP: Dyess AFB is located about 90 miles north in Abilene. I was stationed at Goodfellow (Goodbuddy) AFB back in 72-73 and liked it. The base has grown since then. Also nice about San Angelo is the Concho River and Lake Nasworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 01:07 PM

96 posts, read 209,650 times
Something I like is that there is a rather enthuiastic arts community in San Angelo. I don't live there now but I do go back regularly. I lived there quite a few years ago and it was a wonderful place to live and I had a young family at the time. I've lived all over Texas except for the Panhandle and East Texas and I think San Angelo is one of the most family-friendly places in Texas. Beautiful country too.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:45 PM

65 posts, read 217,935 times
[LEFT]My wife and I (and our 9 month old daughter) are considering a move to San Angelo. Any feedback on the area would be great. We are both in our late 20's looking to settle down a while.

1. Schools

The schools were experiencing a budget cruch but I think most Texas school districts are, they just passed a large bond package to upgrade facilities, they are usually graded average-high with the Texas Education Agency, alot of depends where you in the town.
2. Taxes

Property Taxes are fairly high
3. Activities

Nice parks ecspecially along the river, decent shopping for a town that size, two decent lakes.
4. "Vibe"

I always liked the vibe, college town, small town feel, but not to closed minded.
5. Golf Courses

Bentwood and San Angelo Country club are both really nice. As far as public courses Quicksand is the best. Riverside and the municipal course are ok, both are cheap, but not to nice.
6. Real Estate

I'd suggest staying in Southwest San Angelo, either The Bluffs, Santa Rita or College Hills.

Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...#ixzz0huVkE6ln
[/LEFT]

Old 03-11-2010, 03:55 PM

65 posts, read 217,935 times
[LEFT]1. Are there "good" and "bad" sides of town? How about "nice" and "less nice?" I'll be moving there on my own. My kids are grown and my husband will stay with our house and his job in Arizona for the time being. I'd like something nice, safe, and quiet.
Stay away from downtown and north san angelo, Southwest side of town is where you want to be.

2. My husband is an African-American and I'm white. Is this going to be a problem for us in San Angelo and vicinity?

I seriously doubt it, I'm sure there some racism everyway but I had a african american roommate and I never saw any overt racism anywhere or heard him say anything, its not like the sterotypes from the movies. People there seem to be pretty tolerant.

3. Where is the nearest Costco?
I have no idea, I imagine pretty far. Theres a Sams Club and thats kind of similiar.

4. How's the AT&T reception?

It used to be really poor, around 2007 they built up there network, added a tower and nows it great in the city. The area around San Angelo is really rural and all carriers get pretty bad about an hour outside the city at least if your traveling east.

5. Is it humid?
Not at all.

6. What do you like most about San Angelo?

People, also I really like the parks along the river.

7. If there was one thing you could change about San Angelo, what would it be?

Its impossible to change but its very remote, 3 hours to Austin or Dallas. Long drive to get to a major city.

8. Is there a commissary at the AFB? (My husband's retired military.)
Yes

9. What do you think of the hospitals in town?
Theres Shannon & Community, I was always impressed with Shannon. Only hospitable Ive ever been to where you walk into the emergency room and there is no wait at all, doctor is with you in about 1 minute.

10. Is it hard to get a doctor?
Not sure, I was a student never had to go to one, used the University health center, but I doubt it, its a medical hub for the region.
Read more: //www.city-data.com/forum/texas...#ixzz0huXRAONt
[/LEFT]

Old 03-18-2010, 05:50 PM

5 posts, read 17,449 times
UPDATE: My husband and I went to San Angelo this week and we both loved it! Everyone was really nice and helpful. No problems with race, or anything.

It's such a pretty place. I can't wait to move!

Thank you all for your help. . .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas