Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 12:09 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo302 View Post
I think that is a nation wide phenomenon.
It seems to be every generation's duty to criticize the generation that comes after it as lacking manners and lazy. If they're so bad, isn't it the fault of the previous generation for not instilling that in their kids?

Adding to useless anecdotal evidence: When I worked at an office supply store in college, I found young people were usually more shy, polite and said 'sir' and 'ma'am a lot more.

The 45-65 demographic tended to be more rude and entitled - always wanting discounts and exceptions to store policies, and quick to hit the "I want to speak to the manager" card. Elderly folks (70+) were always kind and friendly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2017, 01:16 PM

10,097 posts, read 10,013,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
It seems to be every generation's duty to criticize the generation that comes after it as lacking manners and lazy. If they're so bad, isn't it the fault of the previous generation for not instilling that in their kids?

Adding to useless anecdotal evidence: When I worked at an office supply store in college, I found young people were usually more shy, polite and said 'sir' and 'ma'am a lot more.

The 45-65 demographic tended to be more rude and entitled - always wanting discounts and exceptions to store policies, and quick to hit the "I want to speak to the manager" card. Elderly folks (70+) were always kind and friendly.
I think the difference might be in perception. The older demographic you listed are less shy and more open to talking to people so they come off as nicer but might also get ugly when pushed or when something is not to their satisfaction.

The younger generation are way more introverted by comparison. I am an older millennial and have noticed younger millennials are so painfully shy and introverted by comparison that I get frustrated sometimes. Even when some are not introverted they can't seem to balance having confidence without it spilling over into cockiness. Others are overly emotional to the point of banality. Point is, millennial social skills are all over the map and abysmal in my opinion.

As an example, take the Kesha vs Jerry Seinfeld fiasco that erupted on the internet. It was stupid but highlights what I am trying to say. Kesha couldn't come up to Seinfeld and just say hi like a normal person, she had to act like a fangirl and ask for a hug. Now I proly wouldn't have been as repulsed as Seinfeld was and would've stuck out my hand for a handshake but I see where he is coming from. That is just a weird way of trying to show your appreciation for an artist. I am all for people being friendly and nice but this over the top bubbly almost hippie love child way of expressing yourself the way some millennials do is just plain weird and overly emotional.

If it's not that they're just introverted and probably wouldn't even make eye contact with you. If not that, they're really cocky and off putting with their sense of entitlement. I mean in other words, this new generation doesn't have the best social skills because they can be extreme no matter what their personality type is. I don't know if it's because they're online half the time and limit their real social interactions to the cliques they've formed? I think it might be because they've been coccooned in whatever bubble they've designed for themselves and cannot stand anything poking it or making them feel uncomfortable or they retaliate with utter disdain. I just don't know but rarely do I find a millennial with a real sense of genuine social skills that have not been affected heavily by pop culture or the internet.

Old 06-07-2017, 03:54 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
I was in Houston last year and I found the people to be friendly.I went to Dallas recently and people were friendly to me there too.

Old 06-07-2017, 05:50 PM

2,258 posts, read 3,494,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think the difference might be in perception. The older demographic you listed are less shy and more open to talking to people so they come off as nicer but might also get ugly when pushed or when something is not to their satisfaction.

The younger generation are way more introverted by comparison. I am an older millennial and have noticed younger millennials are so painfully shy and introverted by comparison that I get frustrated sometimes. Even when some are not introverted they can't seem to balance having confidence without it spilling over into cockiness. Others are overly emotional to the point of banality. Point is, millennial social skills are all over the map and abysmal in my opinion.

As an example, take the Kesha vs Jerry Seinfeld fiasco that erupted on the internet. It was stupid but highlights what I am trying to say. Kesha couldn't come up to Seinfeld and just say hi like a normal person, she had to act like a fangirl and ask for a hug. Now I proly wouldn't have been as repulsed as Seinfeld was and would've stuck out my hand for a handshake but I see where he is coming from. That is just a weird way of trying to show your appreciation for an artist. I am all for people being friendly and nice but this over the top bubbly almost hippie love child way of expressing yourself the way some millennials do is just plain weird and overly emotional.

If it's not that they're just introverted and probably wouldn't even make eye contact with you. If not that, they're really cocky and off putting with their sense of entitlement. I mean in other words, this new generation doesn't have the best social skills because they can be extreme no matter what their personality type is. I don't know if it's because they're online half the time and limit their real social interactions to the cliques they've formed? I think it might be because they've been coccooned in whatever bubble they've designed for themselves and cannot stand anything poking it or making them feel uncomfortable or they retaliate with utter disdain. I just don't know but rarely do I find a millennial with a real sense of genuine social skills that have not been affected heavily by pop culture or the internet.
Hmm, good food for thought. Yeah that hug thing was weird. Why would you ask to hug someone you don't know, especially someone with as many weird quirks about social interaction as Jerry Seinfeld?

Old 06-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidicarus89 View Post
Hmm, good food for thought. Yeah that hug thing was weird. Why would you ask to hug someone you don't know, especially someone with as many weird quirks about social interaction as Jerry Seinfeld?
Yeah, and I am not letting Seinfeld totally off the hook. I thought that look of revulsion he sort of gave Kesha was a little much. At least extend your hand and say how about a shake and be gone. I get that he's quirky and has every right to refuse a weirdo like Kesha but I've never been a big fan of Seinfeld's whole quirky interactions anyways.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:53 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,830,847 times
It has been populated by unfriendly transplants from the north and west.

Old 06-07-2017, 06:55 PM

8,924 posts, read 5,629,144 times
What do you consider "friendly" ? Bringing a pie over and a welcoming committee are things of the past.....

Old 06-07-2017, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzelogik View Post
It has been populated by unfriendly transplants from the north and west.
I think native Californians are actually pretty friendly. Austin and Dallas are getting a lot of Californians while NYers are going to Houston.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:11 PM

4,001 posts, read 3,267,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiolibre99 View Post
I think native Californians are actually pretty friendly. Austin and Dallas are getting a lot of Californians while NYers are going to Houston.
Yeah, I agree, most Californians that I've met are friendly as are most Texans.

Old 06-08-2017, 05:25 PM

745 posts, read 1,285,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Yeah, I agree, most Californians that I've met are friendly as are most Texans.
As a native Californian, I concur. The key difference in my experience is Californians are busy and in a hurry, so friendly is quick and apparently shallow, unlike Southern cultures where the person is making long small chat and taking their time. But they both can be considered friendly, perhaps at different wavelengths.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas