Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2008, 08:38 AM

94 posts, read 428,483 times

Advertisements

Hello to all.. I am curious to get to know a little more about Midland Texas. The Best of Midland and the Worst of Midland, from the high crime areas to the quiet home sweet home areas. I am more interested in finding out the areas to stay away from, the ones where it would not be the best idea for me to take my evening walk in. How bad are they really ?

Thank you ahead of time for all your input, it is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2008, 05:17 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todaro3577 View Post
Hello to all.. I am curious to get to know a little more about Midland Texas. The Best of Midland and the Worst of Midland, from the high crime areas to the quiet home sweet home areas. I am more interested in finding out the areas to stay away from, the ones where it would not be the best idea for me to take my evening walk in. How bad are they really ?

I have lived in Midland/Odessa for a while and I had to think about this. I don't avoid any areas in the daytime but in the evening there may be places to avoid. I think that the east side and south side of Midland may some bad areas but i can't speak from experience because I don't have any reason to there in the evening.

The only time that I can recall that I felt uneasy was in Odessa. My girlfriend and I went to a park in south Odessa right around sundown. It had rained a lot the week before and there were many mosquitoes in the park so we decided to walk back to the car through the surrounding neighborhoods instead of the though the park. There were some rough looking guys (looked like gang members but I don't know for sure) just hanging around and watching us. Some other guys yelled something at us from their car, but I couldn't make out what they said. Fortunately, I had my German Sheppard with us so no one messed with us.

Anyway, maybe someone else can give you a more complete answer or you.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:31 PM

8 posts, read 45,042 times
I just moved to Midland two weeks ago and I can say that the Greathouse area is just that....great! I am settling in and enjoying the area. Easy access to anything/everything. Nice quiet neighborhood.

Old 03-23-2008, 05:22 PM

52,685 posts, read 47,943,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Dallas_Texas_Dean View Post
I just moved to Midland two weeks ago and I can say that the Greathouse area is just that....great! I am settling in and enjoying the area. Easy access to anything/everything. Nice quiet neighborhood.

And they picked a good name for it, too.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:28 AM

3 posts, read 30,375 times
We just moved to Midland 10 months ago and so far so good. I feel much safer here than Odessa, the only areas I would avoid, and certainly not during the day is the area S/SE of downtown by Washington Pool. Other than that I feel safe everywhere.

Old 07-04-2008, 08:38 AM

9,191 posts, read 21,872,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todaro3577 View Post

The other posters have pretty much covered it. I lived in Midland for 30 years prior to moving last year. I would stay out of the far south and the far east parts of town after dark. Other than that, no big deal.

I lived in the NW off of Loop 250 in Northgate subdivision...and always felt safe there. I'd walk dogs late at night (10-11 pm) all of the time. But I still paid attention to my surroundings, and never had any problems.

Midland has its minor gang and drug problems just like every other place does, so that's nothing new.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:09 PM

38 posts, read 191,050 times
Most parts of Midland are pretty safe, it has really nice parks spread out througout the town, I would feel safe in most of them at night. However I would avoid the East and South side at night.

Old 08-17-2008, 11:02 AM

1 posts, read 24,661 times
Thumbs down Stay away from this cesspit

Midland, West Texas, is the most vile and inhuman city that you could wish on your worst enemy.

I made the mistake of living in this cesspit for 18 months and I can confirm that it is the last place in hell that I would ever want to live in.

The place is filthy. Its like one giant garbage can. People are charged optional litter fees on their water bills in order to spend more (as if the ludicrously over assessed property tax isn’t enough) on cleaning up the filth from Midlands filthy populace. The stupid thing is, when we didn’t pay the optional litter fee, we were warned that we hadn’t paid our bill in full. Really bright people at the county office.

Commerce in Midland is geared towards trying to sell you something that doesn’t work correctly and then hoping you won’t bring it back. Video games, tires, furniture, filing cabinets, DVDs , you name it, we had to take back to the store and argue with the retarded, but somehow arrogant, store clerk about getting our money back. Even food, which was rotten more often than not, is ridiculous. From Green bread to every gallon of milk on the shelf being 3 days past its sell by date.

We bought a house in ‘Great House’ and soon found out that our neighbors’ inbred kids like to pick fights with people. I caught one of the little 14/15-year-old maggots looking through our bedroom window for something. They are foul-mouthed pigs and caused nothing but trouble. Dogs continuously barking despite city ordinances, which are not enforced, made life a living hell even in our own home. The home build quality was good though.

Midland is five hours from anywhere and is most likely because nowhere else wants to be within five hours of Midland. The airport never ran a flight on time and ruined vacation after vacation for us as they couldn’t do anything remotely close to running an air service.

Utility bills are very high compared to other places we have lived. Gas, electricity and water were al 20-30% higher than our California bills and there was nothing we could do to lower our bills - no matter how conservatively we lived. This on top of the fact we had to continually fight with utility companies to have them get our bill correct in the first place. They got the service wrong again and again and again.

I ate at just about every restaurant in Midland and never, EVER got what I ordered. Every decent server must have moved to the oil patch and they decided to look under some rocks to find the most pathetic vermin to serve tables. Again, retarded yet arrogant. Customer service at every level in every location is completely none existant.

The people are the worst thing of all about Midland. Offensive, inconsiderate and easy to loathe. I have driven in LA, New York and Chicago and never, ever had the problems I had in Midland. Cutting you off, pulling out from side roads, waiting to the last second to get on or off the loop and then side swiping you because they think you should drive for them. Forget about anyone getting in the correct lane for where they want to go. The epitome of retardation and arrogance. The people are vile and disgraceful.

Stay away from Midland if you value your sanity. This is one town I hope I will never have to see again. There is no quality of life.

Last edited by JamesSt; 08-17-2008 at 11:17 AM.. Reason: Update

Old 08-17-2008, 01:46 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesSt View Post
Midland, West Texas, is the most vile and inhuman city that you could wish on your worst enemy.

I made the mistake of living in this cesspit for 18 months and I can confirm that it is the last place in hell that I would ever want to live in.

The place is filthy. Its like one giant garbage can. People are charged optional litter fees on their water bills in order to spend more (as if the ludicrously over assessed property tax isn’t enough) on cleaning up the filth from Midlands filthy populace. The stupid thing is, when we didn’t pay the optional litter fee, we were warned that we hadn’t paid our bill in full. Really bright people at the county office.

Commerce in Midland is geared towards trying to sell you something that doesn’t work correctly and then hoping you won’t bring it back. Video games, tires, furniture, filing cabinets, DVDs , you name it, we had to take back to the store and argue with the retarded, but somehow arrogant, store clerk about getting our money back. Even food, which was rotten more often than not, is ridiculous. From Green bread to every gallon of milk on the shelf being 3 days past its sell by date.

We bought a house in ‘Great House’ and soon found out that our neighbors’ inbred kids like to pick fights with people. I caught one of the little 14/15-year-old maggots looking through our bedroom window for something. They are foul-mouthed pigs and caused nothing but trouble. Dogs continuously barking despite city ordinances, which are not enforced, made life a living hell even in our own home. The home build quality was good though.

Midland is five hours from anywhere and is most likely because nowhere else wants to be within five hours of Midland. The airport never ran a flight on time and ruined vacation after vacation for us as they couldn’t do anything remotely close to running an air service.

Utility bills are very high compared to other places we have lived. Gas, electricity and water were al 20-30% higher than our California bills and there was nothing we could do to lower our bills - no matter how conservatively we lived. This on top of the fact we had to continually fight with utility companies to have them get our bill correct in the first place. They got the service wrong again and again and again.

I ate at just about every restaurant in Midland and never, EVER got what I ordered. Every decent server must have moved to the oil patch and they decided to look under some rocks to find the most pathetic vermin to serve tables. Again, retarded yet arrogant. Customer service at every level in every location is completely none existant.

The people are the worst thing of all about Midland. Offensive, inconsiderate and easy to loathe. I have driven in LA, New York and Chicago and never, ever had the problems I had in Midland. Cutting you off, pulling out from side roads, waiting to the last second to get on or off the loop and then side swiping you because they think you should drive for them. Forget about anyone getting in the correct lane for where they want to go. The epitome of retardation and arrogance. The people are vile and disgraceful.

Stay away from Midland if you value your sanity. This is one town I hope I will never have to see again. There is no quality of life.
Well I guess the scam has been exposed. Midland is a trap to lure unsuspecting people in from other parts of the country and torture them by selling them faulty merchandise, picking fights with them, serving them food they didn't order, and just generally making their lives H*ll. And we would have gotten away with if hadn't been for those meddling kids!

We were counting on the victims to be too embarrassed to ever register at City-Data and make a post about it. But JamesSt has heroically and %100 percent accurately and rationally exposed the situation. Curse you JamesSt! Curse you!!!!11111!!11!!!111!!!one!!eleventy!!!11

Old 08-17-2008, 02:06 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,082,814 times
Gee, but forget all that - they have JOBS in Midland - isn't that what all people want and Hey - they have at really pretty skyline at nite - Isn't this all that matters? Just kidin'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas