Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 03:12 PM

2,512 posts, read 2,216,689 times

Advertisements

I know we're not out of the woods yet but I would like to make a monetary donation to the relief efforts. My town is collecting items needed at City Hall and driving it down as soon as they can safely do so. I'm donating stuff to that but I wasn't sure where to donate money that would do the most good. What do y'all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 04:13 PM

1,053 posts, read 3,090,462 times
I donated to JJ Watt's (Houston Texans football) set up on youcaring. Not sure if it's ok to post the link, but I'm sure you can Google it to find the page.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:54 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,086,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
I know we're not out of the woods yet but I would like to make a monetary donation to the relief efforts. My town is collecting items needed at City Hall and driving it down as soon as they can safely do so. I'm donating stuff to that but I wasn't sure where to donate money that would do the most good. What do y'all suggest?

Red Cross Website, redcross.org but make sure you find on the site, WHERE it goes for Harvey. Also there is a phone number on the site 1-800-RED Cross or texting the word HARVEY 90999 for a $10 donation. Yes, this is going to be a very long time recovery period, and the money to take care of people in shelters for weeks, if not months is going to be extremely costly as well. Of course, this storm is by far not nearly over with by any means. I don't want to upset anyone, but there is very comprehensive coverage on FOX, not nearly so much politics. Yes, forgive me for saying that, it just shows more extensively the actual problems there, and many more teams there and interviews with the people directly involved with this entire storm matters.

Anyway thanks for donating and bringing this up, remember the donations here will help ALL types of people, the needs here are not determined by political parties.

Old 08-28-2017, 09:03 AM

18,217 posts, read 25,861,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeaTexan View Post
I donated to JJ Watt's (Houston Texans football) set up on youcaring. Not sure if it's ok to post the link, but I'm sure you can Google it to find the page.
Earlier this morning on CBS Sports Radio I heard J.J. Watt with a 2 minute message regarding the hurricane damage. IIRC on a different sports station one of the talk show hosts said he is donating $100,000 to start the drive.

Other organizations would be the Salvation Army and the Red Cross. I have already made out a check to the Salvation Army.

It is just jaw dropping to see the devastation all along the gulf.

Please people, donate what you can!

Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 AM

1,068 posts, read 1,444,112 times
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/

Anything helps - monetary, food, littler

http://www.austinwildliferescue.org/ - Austin shelters are taking in rescued animals from flooded areas.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:38 PM

87 posts, read 307,547 times
Back during Katrina, I was in touch with some folks affected via email and relatives. The Red Cross wasn't much help. They did commend Samaritan's Purse, the Salvation Army and the North American Mission Board of the SBC for being there fast and being helpful. So, I'd recommend any of those three and even the Catholic Charities of the Houston area. Charity Navigator rates Samaritan's Purse and Catholic Charities of Houston as 4-star (top rating), but the Red Cross got 3 stars.

I just donated to the Salvation Army. They don't have bloated salaries for executives and they stay long-term in disaster areas to help after the initial relief efforts are done, cause people often need help after the news stops reporting and the National Guard is done. I also plan to ask my hubby how much more we want to designate from our budget to also donate to the NAMB of the SBC. They do great relief work without insane executive salaries and bureaucratic bungles/waste.

Most charities will say give cash and they can obtain what's needed. But I'm sure that any churches/shelters in the area would be happy to get clean clothes/shoes/toiletries/non-perishable food/water, etc. Back during Katrina, our tiny church sent various members to help (we had some firefighters and fit folks who took time off work). If you know folks or organizations going there with supplies, call and ask what they are in need of. I'm sure most charities know what's most needful. When we got blasted by Andrew, water was very important, as well as non-perishable food and flashlights and, yes, saws/tools to cut up and move trees blocking streets and doors and etc. I don't think some folks think about how debris needs to be moved/cleaned just for folks to get the heck out of a disaster zone.

Old 08-28-2017, 02:40 PM

87 posts, read 307,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavia84 View Post
https://www.austinpetsalive.org/hurr...y-evacuations/

Anything helps - monetary, food, littler

wildliferescue - Austin shelters are taking in rescued animals from flooded areas.
That's lovely. I remember how heartbreaking it was that some animals were left behind during Katrina because shelters didn't/couldn't take animals. Too sad.

I was glad to see that in Houston, areas for people and their pets are set aside in shelters--away from the allergic, which I appreciate, given I can die from being near cats/dogs. No one wants to leave a beloved pet behind.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:52 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Billionaires/Multi-millionaires " "Please donate you middle class people who live paycheck to paycheck"

Meanwhile, they don't spend a friggin DIME

Old 08-29-2017, 11:05 AM

165 posts, read 196,971 times
Whatever you do, do not donate to the Red Cross, they are corrupt to the core. Donate to anyone but the Red Cross.

Old 08-29-2017, 02:37 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,273,512 times
My church is asking for HEB giftcards I lieu of money. This was after meeting with several organizations for instructions on how best to help. I think at this point people need necessities to survive and the need for money will come later. Maybe find an organization doing something like that to start. I believe we are sending these down to Victoria and the coast along with water and volunteers initially then work with the shelters here (we're hearing around 10,000 from Houston are coming) and eventually help with rebuilding when money will be needed. I know my church though so I trust where the money will go. My father had a bad opinion of the Red Cross from experience so I personally can't bring myself to donate there but that's not saying they don't do a lot of good. I want to believe in the Salvation Army and Samaritans Purse but I'm still most comfortable with people I know personally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas