Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2017, 05:02 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRedneck View Post
I'm in my 60's. When I was in my teens, they were talking about the autonomous cars that were "ready to go to the public". As the industry has grown, new "bugs" have been found and addressed. The REAL lion in the room, though, is hackers - who've already proven their ability to get into automobile programs and wreak havoc.
Good point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2017, 09:32 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Evidence for such an inflammatory accusation?
Internet.....lol

Old 09-25-2017, 08:18 AM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tcualum View Post
Evidence for such an inflammatory accusation?
I'll give you one, but there are a couple of others (in this country...let alone worldwide):

Michael Hastings. He was a liberal reporter that was gathering info on the Obama Administration's crackdown on journalists (have you ever heard of The Operators book?)

Now this comes straight from Wikipedia. Before you say "but anyone can edit that!", you can just as easily click on the reference links that'll take you to valid sources:

Quote:
On June 18, 2013, Hastings died in a single-vehicle automobile crash in his Mercedes C250 Coupé at approximately 4:25 a.m. in the Hancock Park neighborhood of Los Angeles.[55] A witness to the crash said the car seemed to be traveling at maximum speed and was creating sparks and flames before it fishtailed and crashed into a palm tree.[56][57] Video from a nearby security camera reportedly shows Hastings' vehicle speeding and bursting into flames.[58] Witnesses described the car's engine being ejected 50 to 60 yards (46–55 m) from the scene.[57][59] Hastings' body was burned beyond recognition. The coroner identified the body by matching fingerprints with those the FBI had on file.[60][61] Two days after the crash, the Los Angeles Police Department declared that there were no signs of foul play.[62] The coroner's report ruled the death to be an accident.[63] An autopsy showed that the cause of death was massive blunt force trauma consistent with a high-speed crash.[63]
Hastings was eulogized in the media by figures such as Christopher Hayes,[64] Rachel Maddow,[65] his co-workers at BuzzFeed,[66] and others.[67]

The 2015 documentary film Imminent Threat, directed by Janek Ambros, is dedicated to his work.

Controversy over alleged foul play

Soon after Hastings' death, questions were raised about the crash that took his life.

Former U.S. National Coordinator for Security, Infrastructure Protection, and Counter-terrorism Richard A. Clarke said that what is known about the crash is "consistent with a car cyber attack". He was quoted as saying "There is reason to believe that intelligence agencies for major powers — including the United States — know how to remotely seize control of a car. So if there were a cyber attack on [Hastings'] car — and I'm not saying there was, I think whoever did it would probably get away with it."[68]

The day before the crash, Hastings indicated that he believed he was being investigated by the Federal Bureau of Investigation. In an email to colleagues, which was copied to and released by Hastings' friend, Army Staff Sergeant Joe Biggs,[69] Hastings said that he was "onto a big story", that he needed to "go off the radar", and that the FBI might interview them.[70][71] WikiLeaks announced that Hastings had also contacted Jennifer Robinson, one of its lawyers, a few hours prior to the crash,[72] and the LA Weekly reported that he was preparing new reports on the CIA at the time of his death.[73] His widow Elise Jordan said his final story was a profile of CIA Director John O. Brennan.[74]

The FBI released a statement denying that Hastings was being investigated, at least not by their agency.[62] This statement was incorrect as FBI had opened a file on Hastings as early as 2012 (see FBI files below). Furthermore, on the day of the crash Hastings visited his neighbor Jordanna Thigpen's apartment after midnight and urgently asked to borrow her Volvo, saying he was afraid to drive his own car. However, Thigpen declined.[14]

Motor Trend technical director Frank Markus said that the ensuing fire was consistent with a high-speed car crash.[75] There are conflicting opinions as to Hastings' death. After his death, some media outlets[who?] recalled that Hastings claimed to have received death threats from the military after the McChrystal article.[76][disputeddiscuss] Hastings' widow, Elise Jordan, has said she believes his death to be "just a really tragic accident".[77][78] His older brother, Jonathan, said he believed Michael was experiencing a "manic episode" shortly before his death, and that he may have had suspicions were it not for this observation.[79]

Cenk Uygur, friend of Hastings' and host of The Young Turks, told KTLA that many of Michael's friends were concerned that he was "in a very agitated state", saying he was "incredibly tense" and worried that his material was being surveilled by the government. Friends believed that Michael’s line of work led to a "paranoid state".[80] USA Today reported that in the days before his death, Hastings believed his car was being "tampered with" and that he was scared and wanted to leave town.[81]
Also Wikileaks has never been wrong with any of their leaks...

Quote:
Internet.....lol

The internet is a great resource for anybody. our government is perfect and would never do such a thing right? They'd never arm terrorist groups, murder their own civilians who are gathering info on various programs, start wars to fund interest groups, participate in drug and human trafficking, etc. Never US.

Old 09-25-2017, 08:25 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
With that said, I'm glad they're pursuing it. I've felt robbed of flying cars ever since I first saw the Jetsons 25+ years ago.

And therein (overgrown children with no understanding of the workings of actual human progress) lies the reason behind our national malaise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
wow i never thought i would see the jetsons in real life lol.

And likely never will.

Old 09-25-2017, 10:38 AM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
And therein (overgrown children with no understanding of the workings of actual human progress) lies the reason behind our national malaise.

And likely never will.
No, the reason behind our national malaise is naysayers who, if they had their way, would still have us riding horses and buggies and using coal stoves in our houses.

Visionaries have always been the lifeblood behind innovation in this country - not reactionaries such as yourself.

Old 09-25-2017, 12:18 PM

7,130 posts, read 11,838,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
I'll give you one, but there are a couple of others (in this country...let alone worldwide):

Michael Hastings. He was a liberal reporter that was gathering info on the Obama Administration's crackdown on journalists (have you ever heard of The Operators book?)

Now this comes straight from Wikipedia. Before you say "but anyone can edit that!", you can just as easily click on the reference links that'll take you to valid sources:

Also Wikileaks has never been wrong with any of their leaks...

The internet is a great resource for anybody. our government is perfect and would never do such a thing right? They'd never arm terrorist groups, murder their own civilians who are gathering info on various programs, start wars to fund interest groups, participate in drug and human trafficking, etc. Never US.
Never said that - I use the net to backsource daily. But I'm also VERY careful to understand THEIR motivations, as well.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:38 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Never said that - I use the net to backsource daily. But I'm also VERY careful to understand THEIR motivations, as well.
Yeah but the internet has thankfully brought a lot of the shady things our government has done to light. Not that everything you see is true, but a lot (political assassinations, trafficking, arming terrorists, etc.), are all very true.

Old 09-25-2017, 03:44 PM

1,806 posts, read 4,313,003 times
His son uber.

Old 09-25-2017, 05:15 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
No, the reason behind our national malaise is naysayers who, if they had their way, would still have us riding horses and buggies and using coal stoves in our houses.

Visionaries have always been the lifeblood behind innovation in this country - not reactionaries such as yourself.
True visionaries (Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are both good examples) take a closer look at the fantasies of the multitude who never progress beyond adolescence, and sort out what the technology and infrastructure of the present day can (and can not) support, and where there might be room for progress.

They also have to negotiate an economic swamp, where the forces of the markets are distorted by "crony capitalism" and the inescapable use (or misuse) of the power to coerce granted to the modern nation-state.

In the process, a small number break a major roadblock, and a few become incredibly wealthy (and earn the scorn of all the losers addicted to "pop wisdom"). But for every success story, there are many might-have-beens, and an even greater number of wannabees.

If you don't like the truth, you can stereotype everyone who doesn't see things your way, but the outcome isn't going to change.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 09-25-2017 at 05:25 PM..

Old 09-26-2017, 12:35 PM

3,163 posts, read 2,053,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
True visionaries (Bill Gates and Jeff Bezos are both good examples) take a closer look at the fantasies of the multitude who never progress beyond adolescence, and sort out what the technology and infrastructure of the present day can (and can not) support, and where there might be room for progress.

They also have to negotiate an economic swamp, where the forces of the markets are distorted by "crony capitalism" and the inescapable use (or misuse) of the power to coerce granted to the modern nation-state.

In the process, a small number break a major roadblock, and a few become incredibly wealthy (and earn the scorn of all the losers addicted to "pop wisdom"). But for every success story, there are many might-have-beens, and an even greater number of wannabees.

If you don't like the truth, you can stereotype everyone who doesn't see things your way, but the outcome isn't going to change.
Who qualifies as a true visionary isn't for you to judge or determine, and nothing that you say will change the outcome either. It's common knowledge that some succeed and some fail - thanks for rehashing that obvious truth. However, it means nothing with respect to this initiative.

And pot meet kettle - if you don't like the truth that you're acting like a reactionary here it is what it is - but it's the truth. You can continue to stereotype those who don't see things your way as those who haven't "progressed beyond adolescence" as you put it, but it really doesn't matter. Some of us still do appreciate innovation and those that are trying to make the world a better place. If you don't have any vision, that's your problem. Save your bloviating for someone else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas