Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 09:11 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmethewanderer View Post
I believe by law you need 10 acres to shoot on your property safely. But I will take waht I can get in my budget. Even if it is under 10 acres. I can always go shoot on BLM land.
the vast majority of land in Texas is privately held.I would suggest maybe becoming friends with people who have land like farmers and ranchers once u get moved.best of luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2018, 11:56 AM

19 posts, read 21,823 times
Enough about shooting though, any cities you all recommend based off my first post?

Old 02-20-2018, 12:49 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Enough about shooting though, any cities you all recommend based off my first post?
Yes, virtually no public land in Texas. Rural areas around Austin, in all directions, will have some of the highest land prices in the entire state. I'd drive up to Waco and look around there, Belton, Temple, etc.

Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralaustinite View Post
Yes, virtually no public land in Texas. Rural areas around Austin, in all directions, will have some of the highest land prices in the entire state. I'd drive up to Waco and look around there, Belton, Temple, etc.

This is the kind of information I'm seeking! Thank you! I'm looking around Taylor Texas.

Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 AM

554 posts, read 745,727 times
Quote:
This is the kind of information I'm seeking! Thank you! I'm looking around Taylor Texas.
... If you do decide to look into the Belton-Temple area, take a ride a bit farther West, and check-out Burnet, Lampasas, Gatesville, and Hamilton. Each town is at a cross-roads for either U.S. 281, U.S. 183, or other in-State highways; some are county seats. A good friend is moving away from the Austin area, and buying a small farm in one of those areas. They were amazed at the differences in pricing, compared to land in the lower counties, surrounding Austin & Travis County.
That's not to say that land, farms or ranches are cheap in these areas! But, they are less-expensive, right now. I mainly depends on "what-all you're looking for" ...
Best Regards ... TC

Old 02-26-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomchard View Post
... If you do decide to look into the Belton-Temple area, take a ride a bit farther West, and check-out Burnet, Lampasas, Gatesville, and Hamilton. Each town is at a cross-roads for either U.S. 281, U.S. 183, or other in-State highways; some are county seats. A good friend is moving away from the Austin area, and buying a small farm in one of those areas. They were amazed at the differences in pricing, compared to land in the lower counties, surrounding Austin & Travis County.
That's not to say that land, farms or ranches are cheap in these areas! But, they are less-expensive, right now. I mainly depends on "what-all you're looking for" ...
Best Regards ... TC

Thank you I will look into these cities on zillow right now.

What I'm looking for is a house on 1 or more acres of land (preferably 10+) that is only minutes/miles from a major city/civilization. I want hospitals and Walmart to be close by but still maintain country living.

Your suggestion helps! Thank you, I hope others can chime in useful information as well.

Thanks!

Old 02-26-2018, 01:50 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,105,799 times
Quote:
Thank you I will look into these cities on zillow right now.

What I'm looking for is a house on 1 or more acres of land (preferably 10+) that is only minutes/miles from a major city/civilization. I want hospitals and Walmart to be close by but still maintain country living.

Your suggestion helps! Thank you, I hope others can chime in useful information as well.

Thanks!

What you want is hard to find and costs $$$. The Walmart piece isnt too hard but the hospital part is and it will only get harder.

Old 02-26-2018, 02:01 PM

I would imagine hospitals or some kind of medical center is in every city or nearby at least no? Working with $300k or under budget.

Old 02-26-2018, 05:00 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,247,018 times
San Angelo maybe? It's a town of 100k in population and has everything you'd need from Walmart to grocery shopping, big box home improvement stores and medical (two hospitals and several clinics and specialty doctors). Getting across town takes about 15 min but you can be in the country pretty quick. The largest cities are a 3-4 hour drive from there so you have slot of country to choose from. The only real drawback would be the soil is more rocky than hill country or east Texas and San Angelo gets less rain than those places, but there is farming there (cotton, red top cane, etc) so growing can be done and I know several people who garden via water catchment (Texas is a drought or flood state depending on the year so water catchment makes sense).

Old 02-26-2018, 05:37 PM

Any opinions on the city of Seguin TX? Good, bad?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas