Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 12:59 PM

19 posts, read 21,922 times

Advertisements

Hello,

Just a little background on me. My wife and I purchased our first home in Ontario, California. That's in the Inland Empire, living in the suburbs. Great area for the most part. Born and raised in Socal. Before I started looking for a house, I was looking in AZ and TX. I love the idea of living in a free state, cheaper cost of living, but what held me back is my job. I have a great job that I cannot leave behind just yet. I make money doing other things like day trading in the stock market, and making other investments. I feel that once my vehicles are paid off, I can live off my investments alone, IF I was to move to a cheaper state like AZ or TX. Living in CA is too expensive and restricted.

I like guns, I like diesel trucks, I like affordable cost of living, and CA makes all that difficult to enjoy. I am considering moving to TX in the next 2-3 years once I finish paying off my expensive truck payment. I have no debt, other than my truck. Without my car payment and my wife's, we are debt free other than the house we have. I was hoping to rent out my house in CA and move to TX.

What I am looking for:

A house with a large lot, acre(s) if possible, budget of around $275k or less, a home in decent condition, multi cultural folks, I am hispanic, conservative, educated, but let's face it, I am not accepted everywhere, it is what it is and I have no problem with that, but I want to make sure that where we consider moving to, that hispanics/asians are welcome. My wife is filipino and I am of Mexican descent. Both of us are college grads, conservative, reserved quiet people. We are friendly and we mind our own business. Where in TX can we move to, that'll meet our needs?

We have no kids yet, but plan on having 1 or 2, so a good school system is a must, a nice area is a must. I don't like ghetto areas, low housing income in the vicinity, no gangs, like anyone else, I just want a SAFE area for me and my wife and future kids to enjoy.

My friend moved from Orange County CA to Austin TX about 10 yrs ago. He says Austin is now like San Francisco, expensive and very liberal. He is now renting his Austin home out and bought a ranch property in Manchaca TX. That is what I would love to own as well. And no offense to my left leaning friends, nothing against liberals, but I'd rather surround myself with like minded people, as I'm sure they would too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 05:28 PM

343 posts, read 307,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theycallmethewanderer View Post
Hello,

Just a little background on me. My wife and I purchased our first home in Ontario, California. That's in the Inland Empire, living in the suburbs. Great area for the most part. Born and raised in Socal. Before I started looking for a house, I was looking in AZ and TX. I love the idea of living in a free state, cheaper cost of living, but what held me back is my job. I have a great job that I cannot leave behind just yet. I make money doing other things like day trading in the stock market, and making other investments. I feel that once my vehicles are paid off, I can live off my investments alone, IF I was to move to a cheaper state like AZ or TX. Living in CA is too expensive and restricted.

I like guns, I like diesel trucks, I like affordable cost of living, and CA makes all that difficult to enjoy. I am considering moving to TX in the next 2-3 years once I finish paying off my expensive truck payment. I have no debt, other than my truck. Without my car payment and my wife's, we are debt free other than the house we have. I was hoping to rent out my house in CA and move to TX.

What I am looking for:

A house with a large lot, acre(s) if possible, budget of around $275k or less, a home in decent condition, multi cultural folks, I am hispanic, conservative, educated, but let's face it, I am not accepted everywhere, it is what it is and I have no problem with that, but I want to make sure that where we consider moving to, that hispanics/asians are welcome. My wife is filipino and I am of Mexican descent. Both of us are college grads, conservative, reserved quiet people. We are friendly and we mind our own business. Where in TX can we move to, that'll meet our needs?

We have no kids yet, but plan on having 1 or 2, so a good school system is a must, a nice area is a must. I don't like ghetto areas, low housing income in the vicinity, no gangs, like anyone else, I just want a SAFE area for me and my wife and future kids to enjoy.

My friend moved from Orange County CA to Austin TX about 10 yrs ago. He says Austin is now like San Francisco, expensive and very liberal. He is now renting his Austin home out and bought a ranch property in Manchaca TX. That is what I would love to own as well. And no offense to my left leaning friends, nothing against liberals, but I'd rather surround myself with like minded people, as I'm sure they would too.
I suggest looking into the San Antonio-New Braunfels area.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:15 PM

716 posts, read 541,129 times
look at the small towns around Waco -Crawford -China Springs

Old 01-30-2018, 08:22 PM

7,131 posts, read 11,859,334 times
If you decide to explore the New Braunfels area more, feel free to DM me....we love it here - and I'm about as far right as you can get. Folks here aren't hung up on "what" you are, but WHO you are.

Old 01-30-2018, 09:42 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,095,488 times
If you look around Waco, for small towns, then you should look around Tyler, for small towns, Bullard, Chandler, Lindale, Whitehouse.

Old 02-01-2018, 03:58 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,417,859 times
I dont think you will have any trouble being Hispanic down here in Texas,OP.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:08 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,962,984 times
Plenty of conservative, truck and gun loving Hispanics in Texas. I know several personally. No one will have an issue with you since you will share their values.

Old 02-01-2018, 09:18 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,022,661 times
East Texas may be the worst for you, but it is Texas. There are almost more hispanics than non hispanics.

Old 02-02-2018, 10:22 AM

3,267 posts, read 5,645,192 times
I see no issues whatsoever anywhere. The BS about East Texas is just that ... BS. I'm an East Texas dweller.

So are you a DuraMax or Powerstroke guy?

What is your wife's profession or does that play a part in your decision?

It has been said before on these boards but, if it matters, the better soils are east of I-35 (less rocky to sandy loams). Most folks like to have small gardens.

I have lots of suggestions but like my 1st sentence refers to the possibilities are nearly limitless if you stay out of the major cities (Which are where the lib/Dem and ghetto/gang/low income housing concentrations are). I'd recommend a couple of acres just outside a small to moderate sized city. If you want your own gun range (on your land) I'd look at 10 acres or more which a range could safely be built)

Welcome to Texas.

Old 02-07-2018, 08:57 PM

8 posts, read 6,825 times
-North East of San Antonio is your safe bet.

-I'm an Asian from San Francisco (retired military), and I had become sick of the commie Cali politics; that's why I moved here in Texas as soon as retired. I picked Schertz (78108 - shared zip code with Cibolo), which is the town south of New Braunfels. I bought a brand new 4 Bedroom/2.5 Ba for $279K in May 2017. Cibolo and Schertz have great school district. Love it here.

-Best of lucks...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas