Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 01:15 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times

Advertisements

Id pick San Antone or a suburb or bedroom community or small town nearby depending on were job is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2018, 02:34 PM

5,476 posts, read 12,245,584 times
Everyone is flocking to San Antonio too. The commutes to bedroom communities are no fun and will only get worse. 10 ten west of town is completely developing as is I 35 out of town And all points east even along 78. I think San Antonio has a rougher vibe than Ft Worth, is more run down looking, etc., ur that’s just me. You should really visit both before moving. I would not move site unseen, especially cross country. It’s well worth the expensive of an airline ticket to fly in and rent a car and experience for yourself. No amount of research fills in the data points more than visiting.

Old 03-22-2018, 05:15 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
I have found 'in-city' enclaves of semi-rural properties / homes to occasionally help me survive a 'city-scape' .

I have friends near SAT airport that have 3 acres of 'in-town-space', and have seen several similar spots in SA.
There are many good / not-so-good locations in all cities. (You will need to come and get a 'feel' for what fits you, but others can help direct your specific neighborhoods, if DH is insistent on 'inner city / downtown'.)

I prefer SA over DFW, but it is a personal preference, and no place is forever (for me).

Old 03-22-2018, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I have found 'in-city' enclaves of semi-rural properties / homes to occasionally help me survive a 'city-scape' .

I have friends near SAT airport that have 3 acres of 'in-town-space', and have seen several similar spots in SA.
There are many good / not-so-good locations in all cities. (You will need to come and get a 'feel' for what fits you, but others can help direct your specific neighborhoods, if DH is insistent on 'inner city / downtown'.)

I prefer SA over DFW, but it is a personal preference, and no place is forever (for me).
Yes I agree. The in city enclaves are lovely. Sadly, in loop real estate in a decent location and safe area is getting less and less affordable.

Old 03-22-2018, 09:45 PM

2,997 posts, read 3,103,233 times
Everyone is flocking to all the big cities in Texas. Except maybe El Paso.

Old 03-23-2018, 07:39 AM

31 posts, read 35,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Luthor View Post
Everyone is flocking to all the big cities in Texas. Except for maybe El Paso.

Honestly, I am surprised my husband is even going to Texas, but he said it would be a compromise for me living in Indiana for the past 8 years lol. I don't necessarily need a big city, in fact, I'm kind of looking in the outskirts of San Antonio cause of all the reports of theft I'm reading on various apartment sites. He wouldn't forgive me if we got there and he lost his vehicle

I'm originally from Southern California, with a little time spent in Pine Bluff Arkansas as a kid. I've been to more places than he has, I've been just about everywhere. El Paso wouldn't be a bad city to be in if I didn't hear the economy wasn't there. We are leaving a somewhat dull economy in Northern Indiana, and he never wants to travel too far for a job.

So far I'm looking into New Braunfels and Selma, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving further west. I'm used to the dry heat of Phoenix, but the past 8 years the summers in Indiana are very humid just like Texas (I was there as a kid, but just passing through on the way to Pine Bluff).

Old 03-23-2018, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesuvia34 View Post
Honestly, I am surprised my husband is even going to Texas, but he said it would be a compromise for me living in Indiana for the past 8 years lol. I don't necessarily need a big city, in fact, I'm kind of looking in the outskirts of San Antonio cause of all the reports of theft I'm reading on various apartment sites. He wouldn't forgive me if we got there and he lost his vehicle

I'm originally from Southern California, with a little time spent in Pine Bluff Arkansas as a kid. I've been to more places than he has, I've been just about everywhere. El Paso wouldn't be a bad city to be in if I didn't hear the economy wasn't there. We are leaving a somewhat dull economy in Northern Indiana, and he never wants to travel too far for a job.

So far I'm looking into New Braunfels and Selma, but I wouldn't be opposed to moving further west. I'm used to the dry heat of Phoenix, but the past 8 years the summers in Indiana are very humid just like Texas (I was there as a kid, but just passing through on the way to Pine Bluff).
You're moving to a big metro area. No place is safe from crime. It happens in Selma and Schertz. It's just a fact in a fast growing metro. Just a few weeks ago a homeowner in Schertz shot an intruder dead. Cars get broken into in upscale shopping centers like The Forum or while you're at the Quarry shopping at Trader Joe's just as they would say downtown.

The commute to anything outside the loop is going to be a pain. Again, visit and get some boots on the ground knowledge. I'm not sure where in Indiana you're coming from but Texas is nothing like Indiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas