Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 09:08 PM

193 posts, read 98,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterShipWreck View Post
Who are you directing this at? Me, or Sollaces?

I am only 46, but I have back issues. I cannot take cold weather anymore.

I walk 3x a day for my back. But, if it is below 50, I don't go. I end up having issues, and then I have to go to the chiropractor immediately. I even have my own threadmill inside because of that.

So, no matter where I go, it will be on the gulf coast. I can't take weather any colder. I can retire at 51 if I want, but will get 2x as much at 56. My insurance isn't really good outside of Texas. So, likely I will stay in Texas for the rest of my life. I would love to live in Florida, or maybe in Gulf Shores, Alabama, when I retire. But, the more I think of the insurance issues, I doubt that will happen. Not unless they ever allow insurance to be sold across state lines.....
Sorry, it was for you.

With the weather becoming so extreme, it makes choosing a permanent location a little harder. We used to have 3 day winters. Those are long gone. We keep breaking weather records but fortunately the grid here is strong and can handle it. I've never experienced a black out or a brown out.

Someday there will be a solution or a cure for your back problem. You are in a good place with great medical facilities. I will pray for you.

Old 10-22-2018, 09:45 PM

2,916 posts, read 1,515,655 times
Appreciate it.

I hope you figure out what you will do

Old 10-22-2018, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Appreciate it.

I hope you figure out what you will do
You are most welcome.

I like to plan, so while I may not actually do anything outwardly, when the time comes, everything will go very smoothly because of all the planning and prep.

But I do kinda miss the old days when moving meant throwing the contents of the closet onto the bed and tying it all up in the top sheet. Lol, those were the days.

Old 10-23-2018, 11:24 AM

I have moved many times. When I was young, moving was exciting. Especially to another city or atate. Not anymore. Too many back problems... I hate moving now....

Old 10-23-2018, 11:37 AM

Quote:
I have moved many times. When I was young, moving was exciting. Especially to another city or atate. Not anymore. Too many back problems... I hate moving now....
I am doing as much as I can ahead of time, such as putting non essential things in storage, so that on moving day it will be as easy as possible for the movers. I look fine but have physical limitations that limit what I can do.

I don't have much but I can't load a chest freezer or my dresser into a U Haul, so help is necessary. Because of all the rain and the fact that this area floods, I decided that a storage facility on high ground was a better place for my stuff than this place. It's safe, I have the only key and the owners live on the site. Well worth the cost.

As for your back pain, are you stressed for any reason? That would escalate your pain. You may be surprised how much better you feel once you retire. I can be stressed and not even realize it until the crisis passes. When my dog died, I could barely walk and I didn't make the connection until someone mentioned it. The mind/body connection is much stronger than we realize.

Old 10-23-2018, 12:42 PM

I was stressed for years, but am fine now. I stayed in a 15 year marriage that was horrible - I stayed the last 8 years to be there for my son. I tried to stay until he was 17 or 18, but just couldn't take it anymore after that last 8 years.

Everyone at work claimed to see a huge change in my personality just 2 weeks after I filed for divorce. Its been a while now, and I have a fantastic girlfriend. So, no. Not that. Just a lifetime of stress and back injuries that have caught up with me it seems.

I am much, much happier now.

I never hired movers before. I always rented a truck and had friends help me. Next time, I will probably have to hire movers, though.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I was stressed for years, but am fine now. I stayed in a 15 year marriage that was horrible - I stayed the last 8 years to be there for my son. I tried to stay until he was 17 or 18, but just couldn't take it anymore after that last 8 years.

Everyone at work claimed to see a huge change in my personality just 2 weeks after I filed for divorce. Its been a while now, and I have a fantastic girlfriend. So, no. Not that. Just a lifetime of stress and back injuries that have caught up with me it seems.

I am much, much happier now.

I never hired movers before. I always rented a truck and had friends help me. Next time, I will probably have to hire movers, though.
There's a company called Hire a Helper and I've considered using them. Here's the link:
https://www.hireahelper.com/

I've purged and condensed so many times that soon I won't have much at all. I was shocked at how much I had accumulated that I had forgotten about and could no longer remember why I bought it in the first place.
Books are my weakness and unfortunately the local thrift shops have frequent book sales and the paperbacks are 10 cents and the hardcovers are 20-50 cents. I recently bought over 100 books at one of the sales. My treasures....and the amazing thing is that some of them are out of print and have a very high secondary market value.

All I need to be happy is a comfy chair, good lighting and my books. I choose not to have a television and if I could get away with disconnecting the internet, I'd get rid of it and the phone, too. I am a happy hermit.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:16 PM

I had to throw out a lot of stuff when my ex bought me out of my 1/2 of the house. And, I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment/condo that I bought. House prices are way too high. And, on 1 income, that was the best I could do.

But with just 2 small closets - 1 of which I had to leave mostly empty for my son.... It was tough to condense everything.

Old 10-23-2018, 01:31 PM

Quote:
I had to throw out a lot of stuff when my ex bought me out of my 1/2 of the house. And, I moved into a 2 bedroom apartment/condo that I bought. House prices are way too high. And, on 1 income, that was the best I could do.

But with just 2 small closets - 1 of which I had to leave mostly empty for my son.... It was tough to condense everything.
I am an expert at storing things. You can cut a piece of plywood to fit over the lid of a large plastic tote and place a tablecloth or small quilt that reaches the floor over that. Stack the totes, get creative. No one knows. You can hide a lot. You can do the same thing with a large trash can with the lid removed. That's how we stored all of our preparedness supplies when we were in earthquake country. Now you know how I store all my books. They are safe and accessible.

Of course this "decor" will disappoint Martha Stewart. Lol....

Old 10-23-2018, 02:24 PM

:P

Haha, good idea.

I managed to fit everything in almost 2 years now. So, I am good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas