Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:47 AM

6 posts, read 14,479 times

Advertisements

Say I'm going to be relocating soon to the Big state of Texas and was wondering which city is the most like southern california.
I would like live in a town or city with nice cars, pretty women and an abundant nightlife. and a Park so I can go Jogging.

I also like Car shows , Mountain Biking, And Motocross
I would like a place thst has a vibrant economy, people who are openminded, friendly and not bible talking me every few minutes.
I don't want to stand out too much Neither !

Plug me in TIGHT. Could yah ?

Thanks, Bon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 12:11 PM

10,239 posts, read 19,624,701 times
Would any of my fellow Texans agree that Austin might fit the bill?

Old 01-10-2009, 12:20 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times
Well, I'd almost say Austin but the cars thing............. I'm in the Dallas area and we have a TON of very nice cars and tons of car shows. I'm actually in the middle of getting our annual car show at church planned. Yes, churches have car shows and it is a LOT of fun and no "bible thumping" going on during it with secular music being played on the loud speakers. There was a recent toy run for the holidays with Exotics and there were a little over 100 cars in it.

I'd suggest Dallas but in the Uptown, Knox-Henderson areas where your close to the Katy Trail and White Rock Lake. Lots of hip clubs and dive joints. Lots of NON CHAIN restaurants and shops. It is not all "bible thumping" and you can still hangout w/ those that regularly attend church and not feel pressured. Sure there are a FEW groups of people that are "pressure" types but they tend to stick to themselves anyway as they can't associate w/ "non believers" .

Now the Mountain Biking might be a stretch but there are trails around for biking in "nature" but you won't be doing any "mountains" on your bike. Motocross is also around here as well.

Old 01-10-2009, 12:34 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,444,539 times
Why would you want to move to Texas (or any other state) in search of southern California? That's really given a bad impression of Californians when they do that and start living in enclaves and calling parts of Texas "Little California".

That being said, a lot of the things on your list can be found in Austin, it's true. But they're things that aren't particularly or exclusively "southern Californian", and they are only a part of what makes up the particular culture that is Austin. It's a lot more varied than that. If you're good with enjoying the things that it has to offer that remind you of southern California without expecting all of it to be that way, it's all good.

For mountain biking, you might want to try Hill Country State Natural Area west of San Antonio (Bandera area). Just remember, the horses on the trails have the right of way!

Old 01-10-2009, 12:41 PM

14,862 posts, read 42,912,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post
Why would you want to move to Texas (or any other state) in search of southern California? That's really given a bad impression of Californians when they do that and start living in enclaves and calling parts of Texas "Little California". !
Don't say this........... we all just got ripped on the Dallas forum for someone wanting to know where they could live after being FORCED to move here from SoCal and how horrible Dallas and Texas is. The thread did get closed today. But yeah, it is a bad impression to say that.

Oh, and another good spot for "Mountain Biking" is Cedar Hill State Park. This is located South of Dallas.

And how bad is the "car culture" in Dallas........... you can buy a "custom" spot in a garage for your cars for a mere $250K-$525K to store them if you don't have room at your house. These "custom garages" are gaining in popularity for those that don't have the room to build their own custom garage for their car collection.

Old 01-10-2009, 02:43 PM

492 posts, read 962,822 times
The only place I could remotely associate with 'little California' would be the valley.

Go. Enjoy.

Old 01-10-2009, 03:37 PM

5,406 posts, read 13,286,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaladoSam View Post
The only place I could remotely associate with 'little California' would be the valley.

Go. Enjoy.

I would agree with this to a certain extent, but again, we're talking people. No part of Texas is like California and vice versa unless one means the people. I just can't see it any other way.

One reason my dear father suggested we all move to Texas is because "California is going to be overrun with illegals one of these days." I used to think that was a bizarre statement but unfortunately, he was very right. Where I lived is still in "pretty good shape", but oh my, how the years have changed the people.

Yes, it sounds racist what he said, but oh well, that's how he felt. Little did he know Texas is quickly following in the footsteps of CA regarding illegals. What in the world was he thinking since TX is also a border state. He did mean well, and I thank him for that.

To the OP, TX will never be CA and CA will never be TX. In the "good areas", they both have their uniqueness and can both be very nice places in which to live.

Old 01-10-2009, 05:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,939,929 times
I really don't see any place in texas that is like southern california except that there are more and more california used to bes. Most I talk to want to leave it behind them tho.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:10 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,332,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Would any of my fellow Texans agree that Austin might fit the bill?
NO. Austin is nothing like California.

Old 01-10-2009, 07:16 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,018,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BonneRisque View Post
Say I'm going to be relocating soon to the Big state of Texas and was wondering which city is the most like southern california.
I would like live in a town or city with nice cars, pretty women and an abundant nightlife. and a Park so I can go Jogging.

I also like Car shows , Mountain Biking, And Motocross
I would like a place thst has a vibrant economy, people who are openminded, friendly and not bible talking me every few minutes.
I don't want to stand out too much Neither !

Plug me in TIGHT. Could yah ?

Thanks, Bon
Newsflash. You are NOT moving to california. You are moving to Texas. There aren't any cities here that are like SoCal. You may find some of the same food places here and there, but the culture here is very different and not much of the "progressive" vibe that I found in CA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas