Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 09:59 AM

4,433 posts, read 5,343,648 times

Advertisements

He said Abilene was a dangerous, treeless, rundown city....

Does Abilene have run down areas? Yes, but most of the city is not.

Is Abilene safe? No, but it is safer than Tyler.

Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 03-14-2019 at 02:00 AM..

Old 03-08-2019, 11:04 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,000,266 times
If it's run down in the same way San Antonio is run down then I get it. Most of the city is obviously not well kept here in San Antonio.

San Antonio has more trees than Abilene but I tend to agree that I wish it had more.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:13 PM

1,907 posts, read 3,227,149 times
Abilene is not the worst. That distinction goes to Waco or Texarkana in my travels.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:19 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 1 day ago)

35,580 posts, read 17,927,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taynxtlvl View Post
Abilene is not the worst. That distinction goes to Waco or Texarkana in my travels.
You forgot Beaumont and Crane.

Old 03-08-2019, 07:52 PM

15,216 posts, read 30,545,629 times
Just think, somebody in rural north Texas drives an hour and a half each way to Abilene and calls it "the city."

Old 03-10-2019, 09:07 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,627,096 times
Been there twice, and both times I got a really strange vibe from the people there.

Old 03-12-2019, 06:28 PM

59 posts, read 86,149 times
Abilene is the worst city in Texas regardless of what “evidence” is provided. 100% of the city is rundown and looks outdated. Sure there’s trees but they aren’t nice trees and most of them look like they will blow over in a bad storm. There’s a reason why so many people are leaving Abilene and I’m sure it doesn’t take a scientist to figure it out. Abilene is stagnant, outdated, boring and dying. The town will have a population of less than 50,000 in 10 years

Old 03-12-2019, 07:48 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,254,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
If it's run down in the same way San Antonio is run down then I get it. Most of the city is obviously not well kept here in San Antonio.

San Antonio has more trees than Abilene but I tend to agree that I wish it had more.
I disagree.

Old 03-13-2019, 03:38 PM

97 posts, read 104,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
I moved to Abilene 6 months ago for work. I was told that Abilene was a small city that was growing and had a lot going for it. I get to town and I get the biggest rude awakening I could have ever dreamed of. After living in Tyler for 6 years I had grown accustomed to a well kept city with friendly people. Tyler had restaurants, night life, booming economy and nice scenery to look at. Within 5 minutes of arriving in Abilene I knew I had made a mistake.

Abilene is a filthy town with a lot of nothing surrounding it for miles. Trees? None. Booming economy? What economy? Night life? Ha! Everything closes at midnight. Entire neighborhoods lay mostly abandoned and most of the remaining homes should be demolished. The restaurants that Abilene has are just chain restaurants and many are closed down. Entire blocks are empty and filled with trash, abandoned cars and tall grass. Need to catch a flight? Good luck. Abilene has one air carrier and getting a flight will cost you $500 easily. Most of the streets are in terrible shape. Within 2 weeks I had already replaced a front wheel because of a pot hole the size of a moon crater!! Is Abilene a safe city? Nope! The entire city is overrun by violent crime which occupies the entire 10pm newscast. One good thing is that housing is pretty cheap but I can definitely see why. There’s no shopping and healthcare options seem a bit limited as well.

Needless to say I’ve requested my old position back in Tyler and will be leaving in 3 weeks. If anyone reading this is considering a move to Abilene, please think about it. Abilene isn’t a growing city for opportunity as they would like you to think. It’s a dying city that needs help.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTomo View Post
Abilene is the worst city in Texas regardless of what “evidence” is provided. 100% of the city is rundown and looks outdated. Sure there’s trees but they aren’t nice trees and most of them look like they will blow over in a bad storm. There’s a reason why so many people are leaving Abilene and I’m sure it doesn’t take a scientist to figure it out. Abilene is stagnant, outdated, boring and dying. The town will have a population of less than 50,000 in 10 years

As someone who lived in Abilene for close to 20 years, I would have to say you do not know what you are talking about. Abilene may not be party central but I had a great time there. If the night club is what you think is fun than I can see your point, but I had a blast mountain biking, camping, boating, rockcrawiling, and hitting the gym. There are a ton of great restaurants, burritos "La Popular is my favorite with Alfredos right behind it, Burgers Rockin Rollers, then Heffs. Steak, Perinnies ranch south of town in Buffalo Gap, Italian I like little Italy in the center of town, Sushi have that also. CK Seafood little whole in the wall where there is great food. Food trucks are all over the place right now also

Art scene there is starting to blow up also, check out the soda district it was up and coming before we moved.

Never had an issue with the Airport and thought it was great I could show up 10 minutes before my flight and get on the plane, never paid close to 500 for a flight unless I had to leave the next day.

Hospitals are great, use to work in one and have used a bunch of the medical facilities there. I haven't looked at the data but would be surprised if in the last 10 years Abilene hasn't grown despite your claim it will shrink.

Also, I probably had 200 trees in my yard, not one ever blew down.

You didn't give it a chance unfortunately and jumped to an incorrect conclusion.

Old 03-13-2019, 06:59 PM

15 posts, read 13,476 times
ummmmm. San Angelo?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas