Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-10-2019, 09:32 AM

4 posts, read 1,251 times

Advertisements

Good Morning Everyone,

I am new to this forum and a recent college graduate from New York. I am currently seeking a new career opportunity in the state of Texas but have little background on the state itself. The only close relate to Texas I have is that I did both my basic training and military technical school there.

I seeking career in the fields of information technology this is where my degree lay. I am trying to avoid the big city area since I am coming from one of the United States largest metropolitan area. Seeking mid-size town to start a new chapter in my life and hopefully start a family there as well.

Also, state such as Arizona, Virginia, North Carolina are also on my radar as well. If any have a suggestion or some sort of guidance please feel free to share.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 09:39 AM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Thanks for your service....what is your budget for housing?Most of the jobs are in the big cities.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:03 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
How big of a town/city are you wanting exactly? Tyler, Texas might be a good choice perhaps. It is a city but a smaller one.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:30 PM

As for budget, nothing too crazy. I am job hunting for it related job if nothing then go back to logistics since that was my specialty in the USAF. Budget wise any position within $55,000 - $80,000.

Tyler sound like a small I would not mind moving into.

So my job hunting has been lack luster. Are any other decent recruiting website that anyone have success in? So far, I tried LinkedIn and USAJobs and no success. Still looking though, since I don't want to miss any opportunities.

Old 03-11-2019, 02:48 PM

2,132 posts, read 2,226,653 times
Do you have a security clearance from the military? If not, you might consider spending a year or two working in the DC area to get a Secret clearance and some background in cyber-security, and then move to San Antonio, where there are a ton of jobs requiring clearances that pay really well. It's my understanding that for the cyber-security jobs in SA, employers require a Top Secret clearance. They won't sponsor employees from scratch, but they'll work with people who already have a Secret clearance. Something to look into. I wish I had done this earlier in my career.

San Antonio is a big city, but it doesn't really feel like one.

Old 03-11-2019, 03:10 PM

Thank you for the response Kthnry, that might explains the difficulties I am facing with IT jobs lol

Old 03-11-2019, 07:31 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
San Antonio is getting that big city feel. Personally, it's too big for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas