Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2019, 05:28 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,774,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You just started by calling Texas beaches awful and attacked people "who claim the beaches are nice" as natives in denial or without experience outside the state. Although, I thought TXNGL and KathrynAragon were not from Texas, anyway. Cannot speak for the other two who responded to you.
I am from Texas and I do resent implants coming in and making derogatory remarks about native Texans, trying to make them look like a bunch backward rednecks. He's back at it again now saying "the overly defensive TX beach white knights go on full alert." and oh yeah the icing on the cake "If you think TX beaches are heaven on earth, more power to you". Oh dear God, give it a break and stop being so overly exaggerated. I've never known any native to claim TX beaches are heaven on earth, but obviously he knows some or is he just making more wild accusations?

It's the stinking attitude and sarcastic remarks that is evoking the defensive responses and I believe you are fully aware of this.

Again, adding he is a "mountain man" to explain why natives should take his derogatory remarks with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2019, 05:37 PM

1,380 posts, read 1,450,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
Visited Galveston for Spring Break and the brown water, massive amounts of seaweed, and flatness left me highly disappointed. Nice historical city but the water was a deal breaker. I heard even South Padre Island isn’t worth the drive from the 4 big Texan cities which make up most of the state.

I’m not trying to bash. Houstonians are fortunate to be a close flight away to many wonderful Caribbean islands.
Are Los Angeles residents embarrassed by all the smog and pollution in the air?

Old 04-02-2019, 07:13 PM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
I find it telling that every time there is a TX beach thread, the overly defensive TX beach white knights go on full alert. I'm just some dumb forum poster with a dumb opinion. I even specifically mentioned I'm not a beach person so people could take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you think TX beaches are heaven on earth, more power to you.
For every white knight, there's a wannabe edgelord.

Old 04-03-2019, 12:37 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,500,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parhe View Post
You just started by calling Texas beaches awful and attacked people "who claim the beaches are nice" as natives in denial or without experience outside the state. Although, I thought TXNGL and KathrynAragon were not from Texas, anyway. Cannot speak for the other two who responded to you.
I actually am from Texas. And maybe it sounds strange to that poster but I'm equally happy taking a long beach walk along SPI, Surfside Beach, or Anegada BVIs.

Old 04-03-2019, 09:45 AM

11,103 posts, read 7,164,275 times
Speaking negatively about our beaches only makes the speaker look ugly. The result is quite opposite of the expectation of the naysayers. Thankfully, words will never change nature.

Society breeds negative, critical, miserable losers. Nature welcomes lovers of beauty and the cycles of life. Don't Mess with Texas includes not polluting our beaches with your foul and rotten attitude.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:56 AM

30,167 posts, read 11,803,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
That's complete nonsense. The Mississippi River is hundreds of miles away (over 300 miles), and empties into the Gulf of Mexico near New Orleans.

There is only one river flowing into Galveston Bay, and that's the Trinity River.

Sloppy and outright false information never benefits this forum or the public at large. If you don't understand the geography, please refrain from commenting and spreading your confusion.
The beach side of Galveston is not in the Galveston Bay.

There are lots of rivers that flow into the gulf on either side of Galveston Island that make the water more murky. I used to live close to the Brazos River and a huge amount of muddy water would flow into the gulf during periods of storms, its about 30 miles from Galveston. And the Mississippi with the 3rd largest drainage area of any river in the world is a few hundreds of miles east but the current usually flows west towards Galveston so it has an effect on the water in the Galveston area.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtt99 View Post
Are Los Angeles residents embarrassed by all the smog and pollution in the air?

The beaches along from about Santa Monica South through Venice and to Ballona Creek has murky water. I grew up there and stayed away from Los Angeles beaches. Better north or south.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:07 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
This thread is making me want to go to the beach.

Old 04-03-2019, 11:18 AM

1,965 posts, read 1,268,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The beach side of Galveston is not in the Galveston Bay.

There are lots of rivers that flow into the gulf on either side of Galveston Island that make the water more murky. I used to live close to the Brazos River and a huge amount of muddy water would flow into the gulf during periods of storms, its about 30 miles from Galveston. And the Mississippi with the 3rd largest drainage area of any river in the world is a few hundreds of miles east but the current usually flows west towards Galveston so it has an effect on the water in the Galveston area.
The Brazos River can't be a contributor if the current is flowing west along the Texas shore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
The beaches along from about Santa Monica South through Venice and to Ballona Creek has murky water. I grew up there and stayed away from Los Angeles beaches. Better north or south.
California's water is blue, but in a darker/navy shade, not the aquamarine in areas like the Carribean. The cold water along the California shore allows for more dissolved oxygen content, in turn leading to more biotic processes that diminish clarity. Not to mention the strong waves that churn up sediment.

Clarity is better in areas along coves, sheltered from the open sea.

Old 04-03-2019, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
The Brazos River can't be a contributor if the current is flowing west along the Texas shore.
It does not always flow west. The Sabine River is just east of Galveston. With heavy storm runoff Galveston gets hit either way. It is much dryer from Corpus down to South Padre so the water will get clearer with less runoff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrappyJoe View Post
California's water is blue, but in a darker/navy shade, not the aquamarine in areas like the Carribean. The cold water along the California shore allows for more dissolved oxygen content, in turn leading to more biotic processes that diminish clarity. Not to mention the strong waves that churn up sediment.

Clarity is better in areas along coves, sheltered from the open sea.

If you go to South Orange County beaches the water is much clearer than around Santa Monica or Venice. Same conditions and water temps. So its not just the cold water. I lived 30 years in SoCal and was born about 3 miles from the beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas