Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2019, 10:14 PM

11,803 posts, read 8,012,998 times

Advertisements

I'm sure most of you know, California is considering removing speed limits on sections of I-5 and CA-99 within dedicated lanes.

https://www-automobilemag-com.cdn.am...mited-lanes%2F

I guess given the lanes are dedicated for that sole purpose (and hopefully also barrier separated) it may not be 'too bad' given only those choosing to go that fast will be in those lanes, and seperate from speed limited traffic or drivers who choose to drive slower.

... but I actually dont think I'd find myself using them, or atleast not here in America. If it were Germany, maybe different story but I don't see it turning out very well.

Your thoughts? We already have an 85 MPH toll road and it's pretty fun but I dont know that I'd want to be on the road with drivers doing 100+
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2019, 05:51 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,460,293 times
No speed limits is not a new topic. Prior to 1974, Nevada and Montana had no speed limits on their highways. From 1995-1999, Montana once again had no speed limits, before re-institing a 75 mph speed limit on interstate highways in 1999 and then upping it to 80 mph in 2015.

There are 3 sections of Texas highway with the potential for high/high-ish speed limits. Two of them intersect for a bit.
1. The ~250 mile I-20/I-10 section from the outskirts of Odessa to the outskirts of El Paso. This is mostly empty West Texas desert land. The I-10 section of this has an 80 mph speed limit. I do not recall if the I-20 section from Odessa to the 20/10 junction is an 80 mph speed limit. It is no less than 75. If it isn't 80, it should be. That whole section of road can be driven safely at speeds of 85-90 mph or more in certain stretches.
2. The ~500 mile I-10 section from the outskirts of San Antonio to the outskirts of El Paso is an 80 mph speed limit. Once you pass Junction going west, towns become more sparse. By the time you reach Ozona, you've reached the West Texas desert, and for the next ~320 miles, that is mostly open Texas desert with only Fort Stockton (pop. ~10,000), Van Horn (pop. ~2,000) and Sierra Blanca (pop ~1,000) in between. This stretch of road is long, has some pretty views, and can be driven safely at 85-90 or more in certain stretches.
3. The 85 mph speed limit on SH 130 (Austin bypass)

I think the 80 mph speed limit is fine for West Texas and the 85 mph speed limit is fine for SH 130. Theoretically, segments 1 & 2 above could have an 85 mph speed limit. I don't think no speed limit is a good thing.

Old 09-22-2019, 07:47 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,265,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
No speed limits is not a new topic. Prior to 1974, Nevada and Montana had no speed limits on their highways. From 1995-1999, Montana once again had no speed limits, before re-institing a 75 mph speed limit on interstate highways in 1999 and then upping it to 80 mph in 2015.

There are 3 sections of Texas highway with the potential for high/high-ish speed limits. Two of them intersect for a bit.
1. The ~250 mile I-20/I-10 section from the outskirts of Odessa to the outskirts of El Paso. This is mostly empty West Texas desert land. The I-10 section of this has an 80 mph speed limit. I do not recall if the I-20 section from Odessa to the 20/10 junction is an 80 mph speed limit. It is no less than 75. If it isn't 80, it should be. That whole section of road can be driven safely at speeds of 85-90 mph or more in certain stretches.
2. The ~500 mile I-10 section from the outskirts of San Antonio to the outskirts of El Paso is an 80 mph speed limit. Once you pass Junction going west, towns become more sparse. By the time you reach Ozona, you've reached the West Texas desert, and for the next ~320 miles, that is mostly open Texas desert with only Fort Stockton (pop. ~10,000), Van Horn (pop. ~2,000) and Sierra Blanca (pop ~1,000) in between. This stretch of road is long, has some pretty views, and can be driven safely at 85-90 or more in certain stretches.
3. The 85 mph speed limit on SH 130 (Austin bypass)

I think the 80 mph speed limit is fine for West Texas and the 85 mph speed limit is fine for SH 130. Theoretically, segments 1 & 2 above could have an 85 mph speed limit. I don't think no speed limit is a good thing.
Great post.

Old 09-22-2019, 12:48 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,085,037 times
Read carefully a very good description of the freeway driving in Germany. We all have heard how unrestricted your speeds can be. Well:

Three years ago, my German friend now living in America, took me on a 1,700-mile car "tour" of the real Germany. The six-lane Autobahn we were on several times, that stretches from Stuttgart in South Central Germany to Strasburg, France, about maybe 150 miles distance The far-right lane is restricted to trucks only, 55 m.ph. the center lanes posted approximately 75 m.ph. the far left lane any speed you can safely travel. However, as stated by wikipedia, restrictions apply. We traveled in the center lane, but if we need to pass a slower-moving car in front of you, in your lane, you take your life in your own hands, we needed to make sure there wasn't a car "flying up" on our left at 100-125 m.p.h. that we would cause crash into us as we tried to pull out and pass someone going 70. Most of the time, the unrestricted m.p.h driving was very short-lived, like for 5 or 10 miles at most, it seemed. What a risk, to drive 100-150 or whatever just to do so, or save a few minutes. They even drive these high speeds in rainy weather, nuts. The liability you take for high speed is really great as somewhat reported in wikipedia. My German friend explained, it is far more involved than even report here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn

Old 09-23-2019, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Senior View Post
Read carefully a very good description of the freeway driving in Germany. We all have heard how unrestricted your speeds can be. Well:

Three years ago, my German friend now living in America, took me on a 1,700-mile car "tour" of the real Germany. The six-lane Autobahn we were on several times, that stretches from Stuttgart in South Central Germany to Strasburg, France, about maybe 150 miles distance The far-right lane is restricted to trucks only, 55 m.ph. the center lanes posted approximately 75 m.ph. the far left lane any speed you can safely travel. However, as stated by wikipedia, restrictions apply. We traveled in the center lane, but if we need to pass a slower-moving car in front of you, in your lane, you take your life in your own hands, we needed to make sure there wasn't a car "flying up" on our left at 100-125 m.p.h. that we would cause crash into us as we tried to pull out and pass someone going 70. Most of the time, the unrestricted m.p.h driving was very short-lived, like for 5 or 10 miles at most, it seemed. What a risk, to drive 100-150 or whatever just to do so, or save a few minutes. They even drive these high speeds in rainy weather, nuts. The liability you take for high speed is really great as somewhat reported in wikipedia. My German friend explained, it is far more involved than even report here.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autobahn
Interesting, I have always imagined the unrestricted sections of the autobahn to have all of its lanes as unrestricted and not just the left lane.

Old 09-23-2019, 04:59 PM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
One could drive 80-100 MPH safety on the stretch between El Paso and San Antonio, the only danger is slower big rigs taking up both lanes while they try to pass each other and deer running across the road.

The article shows night time speeds posted, I haven't seen those on the IH10 stretch mentioned in several years.

I am an expert at that stretch of road in West Texas, it is one of the most boring but easiest drives in the entire country. Texas State troopers will generally let you take it up to 85MPH without pulling you over.

Old 09-23-2019, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
One could drive 80-100 MPH safety on the stretch between El Paso and San Antonio, the only danger is slower big rigs taking up both lanes while they try to pass each other and deer running across the road.

The article shows night time speeds posted, I haven't seen those on the IH10 stretch mentioned in several years.

I am an expert at that stretch of road in West Texas, it is one of the most boring but easiest drives in the entire country. Texas State troopers will generally let you take it up to 85MPH without pulling you over.
done that drive twice so far, and yes.. its LONG.

One of the neatest things is coming into Texas from Lousiana on I-10 and seeing the first Exit # at 878 - Thats 878 miles of I-10 just passing through Texas and when you pass Houston or even San Antonio you still havent even covered half the state.

I can generally drive a very long distance without becoming fatigued, usually when fully rested I can go about 24 hours easily. My max was 52 (Atlanta to Seattle) -- but I have to admit, Texas can really test my stamina.

I didn't know deer were an issue crossing I-10 in the desert areas... I have heard of hogs being an issue in Central and East Texas.

Old 09-24-2019, 06:34 PM

12,950 posts, read 13,342,606 times
Drove out to El Paso on I-10 in January, 2018. Between Junction & the intersection with I-30 we saw a dead feral hog on the side of the road about every 5 miles.
I’d hate to hit a sounder of those vile things while doing 85, like that one family did on 130 south of Lockhart several years ago.

Old 09-25-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoPro View Post
Drove out to El Paso on I-10 in January, 2018. Between Junction & the intersection with I-30 we saw a dead feral hog on the side of the road about every 5 miles.
I’d hate to hit a sounder of those vile things while doing 85, like that one family did on 130 south of Lockhart several years ago.
I know of someone who hit one on TX 130 and it totaled his car. Supposedly those things are incredibly strong even against a car.

Old 09-26-2019, 12:55 AM

6,504 posts, read 7,536,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
One of the neatest things is coming into Texas from Lousiana on I-10 and seeing the first Exit # at 878 - Thats 878 miles of I-10 just passing through Texas and when you pass Houston or even San Antonio you still havent even covered half the state.
Coming in from New Mexico after the Welcome to Texas sign, a sign reads El Paso 18 Beaumont 852.
It's a long drive for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas