Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2020, 09:53 PM

15,269 posts, read 35,633,631 times

Advertisements

Hmm...if sticking with the big cities, Houston would be second after my current location (Austin). I like being closer to the ocean, it would actually be closer to a lot of my clients, and I have always kinda liked it (was born down there but moved away pretty young).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2020, 09:03 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,459,309 times
I live in Dallas, and if I had to live in another larger city (500,000+), my first choice would be Fort Worth. I would probably go to Houston. I don't have much of an impression of San Antonio. I don't think I would fit in socially in Austin.

If we are talking about all populated areas, I'd really like to live in a small town in West Texas.

Unfortunately, I cannot accomplish what I need to accomplish in life in a small town in West Texas, which is why I live in Dallas.

Old 01-26-2020, 11:40 AM

3,888 posts, read 2,200,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ312 View Post
I live in Dallas, and if I had to live in another larger city (500,000+), my first choice would be Fort Worth. I would probably go to Houston. I don't have much of an impression of San Antonio. I don't think I would fit in socially in Austin.

If we are talking about all populated areas, I'd really like to live in a small town in West Texas.

Unfortunately, I cannot accomplish what I need to accomplish in life in a small town in West Texas, which is why I live in Dallas.
I like Fort Worth and El Paso. They're probably the most laid back big cities in the state.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:34 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brock2010 View Post
If you had to move to another city in Texas, where would it be? For me probably Tyler because it's not too big, has everything I need and a little more.
I am thinking of living in Abilene,San Angelo,Lubbock,El Paso,Brownwood,Waco,College Station but I want to settle down in the Austin area someday.I have always wanted to live in Abilene and it has universities like Abilene Christian so thats part of the reason.I have always liked San Angelo.I think its one of the most picturesque places in West Texas outside of the Trans-Pecos.Abilene and San Angelo are also less isolated than where i live now which is part of the reason why i want to live there.I like Lubbock a lot because it has more amenities than Abilene and San Angelo and it has universities like Lubbock Christian.

I like Brownwood and i was really impressed during my trip there.I really like El Paso because its part of the desert Southwest and closer to Arizona and New Mexico and i thought it was really neat when i went there.I like Waco......I want to possibly live there because of the better dating scene due to Baylor.I like the idea and thought of College Station because of a possibly better dating scene than Midland-Odessa.I want to settle down in the Austin area because of the Highland lakes and the Texas Hill Country and also because my family is thinking about moving down there.

Last edited by C24L; 01-27-2020 at 07:46 PM..

Old 01-27-2020, 07:38 PM

8,492 posts, read 4,738,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
I am thinking of living in Abilene,San Angelo,Lubbock,El Paso,Waco,College Station but I want to settle down in the Austin area someday.
Don’t do Waco. I spent six weeks there at CDL (trucking) school. It’s not a nice place. Cameron Park is a gem of a park, but the rest of the city is just lacking in good vibes. I lacked the actual time to explore in depth, but my impression was at the least, it lacks wages and at worst, it felt like there might be a meth or other hard drug problem there. I hope others can chime in. Otherwise...not a place I would recommend for the time being.

Old 01-27-2020, 07:48 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,380,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Don’t do Waco. I spent six weeks there at CDL (trucking) school. It’s not a nice place. Cameron Park is a gem of a park, but the rest of the city is just lacking in good vibes. I lacked the actual time to explore in depth, but my impression was at the least, it lacks wages and at worst, it felt like there might be a meth or other hard drug problem there. I hope others can chime in. Otherwise...not a place I would recommend for the time being.
Okay fair enough.Thank you for your input.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:52 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,084,282 times
Quote:
Same thought on Waco, not a top place for consideration, at all. Many other places, listed above, top Waco, as far "value".

Old 01-27-2020, 10:02 PM

I would like to put some extra emphasis on Cameron Park though. It’s the city’s jewel. There’s a zoo, and riverfront views. It goes up and down a bit of a gorge with random little pocket parks within the park. It’s one of the best municipal parks I have ever seen. Even if you don’t relocate there, it’s genuinely worth a visit. I would certainly stop by there again. It’s gorgeous.

Old 01-27-2020, 10:10 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,622,736 times
Quote:
You say it's lacking in good vibes yet you lacked the actual time to explore Waco in depth? Yeah Ok

Quote:
Originally Posted by C24L View Post
Okay fair enough.Thank you for your input.
I lived in Waco much longer than I wanted to. I was in college there for a while and literally lived there for close to 6 years on and off. As a student and briefly after school till I moved to Houston. Waco from what I gather has changed since I left in 2008 and I hear for the better. Being that I lived there so long I know practically the ins and outs of the city. Waco gets a bad rap on this site but IMO it's one of the better cities in Texas it's size. It's one of the best locations in Texas. Dallas is about a hour and 30 mins away, Austin a hour and 41 mins away, Houston a little under 3 hours, San Antonio about the same as Houston. Waco has some rough areas but their easy to avoid. Plus there's worst cities crime rise it's size in Texas. I also think they have one of the better downtowns for it's size in the state. Not to mention with Brazos river being in the middle of the city there's a couple of recreational activities right in the city. I'm not really into living in small cities and towns anymore and trust me as soon as my lease was up after school I bounced out the city with a quickness but if I just had to move to a small city in Texas than Waco would be on that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTQ3p-5yiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkC-_9DcRE

Also the difference in Waco in comparison to it's peers is their investing into downtown via a Multi-Million dollar development and of course having Joanne and Chip Gaines(Fixer Upper). If any small city in Texas has the makings of being the next IT city imo it's Waco. Having Brazos in the middle of the city is already an advantage over it's peers. Their developing a waterfront with retail, restaurants, residential, and hotels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sNK41dfcts

Also this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpki_FZGgIE

Old 01-27-2020, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
You say it's lacking in good vibes yet you lacked the actual time to explore Waco in depth? Yeah Ok

I lived in Waco much longer than I wanted to. I was in college there for a while and literally lived there for close to 6 years on and off. As a student and briefly after school till I moved to Houston. Waco from what I gather has changed since I left in 2008 and I hear for the better. Being that I lived there so long I know practically the ins and outs of the city. Waco gets a bad rap on this site but IMO it's one of the better cities in Texas it's size. It's one of the best locations in Texas. Dallas is about a hour and 30 mins away, Austin a hour and 41 mins away, Houston a little under 3 hours, San Antonio about the same as Houston. Waco has some rough areas but their easy to avoid. Plus there's worst cities crime rise it's size in Texas. I also think they have one of the better downtowns for it's size in the state. Not to mention with Brazos river being in the middle of the city there's a couple of recreational activities right in the city. I'm not really into living in small cities and towns anymore and trust me as soon as my lease was up after school I bounced out the city with a quickness but if I just had to move to a small city in Texas than Waco would be on that list.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUTQ3p-5yiw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tkC-_9DcRE

Also the difference in Waco in comparison to it's peers is their investing into downtown via a Multi-Million dollar development and of course having Joanne and Chip Gaines(Fixer Upper). If any small city in Texas has the makings of being the next IT city imo it's Waco. Having Brazos in the middle of the city is already an advantage over it's peers. Their developing a waterfront with retail, restaurants, residential, and hotels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sNK41dfcts

Also this,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpki_FZGgIE
Lacked good vibes, but lacked the time to see why that might have been the case. I’m glad you responded and will indulge in what you posted. I was there well after the Gaines’ efforts to turn the city to the upside. Please try to not be so attack-y
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas