Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2020, 12:52 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
I thought the same thing. That comment came out as arrogant and sounds like someone was privileged. I chose not to mention it because this isn’t an ethics room
It's a white people thing--they throw their kids out at 18 after high school graduation. It's a tradition from the settler period that encouraged pioneers to expand America westward.

Meanwhile Filipinos have grandma living-in as free childcare during work; multiple generations live in the house--parents, one kid and spouse, and grandchildren--is pretty common.

Lennar is building multi-generational houses around Texas with their NexGen series:

https://www.lennar.com/ProductsAndServices/NextGen

I think this product targets Asians, and to a lesser extent, families with Millennials/independent seniors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2020, 01:59 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
It's a white people thing--they throw their kids out at 18 after high school graduation. It's a tradition from the settler period that encouraged pioneers to expand America westward.

Meanwhile Filipinos have grandma living-in as free childcare during work; multiple generations live in the house--parents, one kid and spouse, and grandchildren--is pretty common.

Lennar is building multi-generational houses around Texas with their NexGen series:

https://www.lennar.com/ProductsAndServices/NextGen

I think this product targets Asians, and to a lesser extent, families with Millennials/independent seniors.
Trust me I know. A close friend of mine felt depressed because she was 24 living with her parents. And I explained to her how it’s a white thing, or Atleast an American thing. I showed her how our culture and others work and she told me “I’ve never felt younger in my life”

Old 06-18-2020, 03:44 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,454,719 times
Quote:
Trust me I know. A close friend of mine felt depressed because she was 24 living with her parents. And I explained to her how it’s a white thing, or Atleast an American thing. I showed her how our culture and others work and she told me “I’ve never felt younger in my life”
Attending UH is a big exception. An acquaintance of mine commuted into campus from his mom's house, until he got a dorm for senior year--likely for hookups. He eventually found his wife and got married a year or two after graduation.

Old 06-27-2020, 01:07 PM

869 posts, read 319,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Yeah, easy to spot. They're the 22-35 year old who still lives at home with mama because they were dealt a couple of bad breaks in life.

This article is older than dirt, so that's why I say 40k instead of 30k: https://www.dallasobserver.com/news/...e-mist-6421843

don't forget the Affliction jeans.....

Lol...

I agree that they are easy to spot, but not for the reasons you stated. That second sentence does come off as pretentious as some people say the people in Dallas are!

Unlike Dallasboi (who seems to believe that $40k Millionaires are just youngsters who haven't figured out life yet), I'm well aware that they exist...even here in Houston. It's just far more noticeable in DFW precisely BECAUSE Dallas is more image-conscious than the Gulf Coast.

Old 06-29-2020, 11:47 PM

9,895 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spacecitytx View Post
Lol...

I agree that they are easy to spot, but not for the reasons you stated. That second sentence does come off as pretentious as some people say the people in Dallas are!

Unlike Dallasboi (who seems to believe that $40k Millionaires are just youngsters who haven't figured out life yet), I'm well aware that they exist...even here in Houston. It's just far more noticeable in DFW precisely BECAUSE Dallas is more image-conscious than the Gulf Coast.
This is fake news. Dallasboi is right on this one. You sound like you stay in far eastern side of Houston or Conroe based on this post. You also sound like you e never visited Dallas. And if you did, you didn’t leave the radius of your hotel.

Not saying “40K millionaires” don’t exist. But you’re not describing them at all. They don’t live in Uptown Dallas or Highland Village. And they also don’t live in River Oaks or the Woodlands (which by the way are places in Greater Houston). They exist in lower income areas generally with a thriving younger population.

Old 06-30-2020, 09:42 AM

577 posts, read 457,558 times
Quote:
This is fake news. Dallasboi is right on this one. You sound like you stay in far eastern side of Houston or Conroe based on this post. You also sound like you e never visited Dallas. And if you did, you didn’t leave the radius of your hotel.

Not saying “40K millionaires” don’t exist. But you’re not describing them at all. They don’t live in Uptown Dallas or Highland Village. And they also don’t live in River Oaks or the Woodlands (which by the way are places in Greater Houston). They exist in lower income areas generally with a thriving younger population.
I live in Oak Lawn and I agree with this. During the week, you don't see any 40K Millionaires out and about. It's generally on the weekends you'll see it, but I barely go out on the weekends any more so I don't even notice it.

Old 07-01-2020, 03:54 PM

869 posts, read 319,576 times
Quote:

Huh....

I never ONCE named any of the high-end neighborhoods you mentioned as places where $40k millionaires run rampant. Obviously, the people residing in those areas literally HAVE the funds, and therefore wouldn't be pretending. Where the hell did you get that observation from??

As for your assumptions about where I live, I grew up on Houston's southside and currently reside in Missouri City. While I never lived in Dallas proper, I resided in Mansfield for about a year and a half, and I currently travel to Dallas at least twice a month for work (well, before covid anyway). So I'm not in anyway unfamiliar with the city.

The assumptions in this forum are beyond me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas