Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2020, 08:14 AM

18 posts, read 14,430 times

Advertisements

The press and Texas local governments are starting to emphasize recovery numbers in search of good news so they can justify reopening the economy even though Texas covid-19 numbers and deaths continue to rise.

In doing so the state and press are reporting inaccurate and unreliable numbers. There is no clear definition on what constitutes a covid-10 recovery. Currently, there is no uniform method for reporting recoveries across the United States.Unless someone is admitted to a hospital and tested, there is no way of knowing if someone has a mild case of the virus and recovers from it. Not to mention if someone doesn’t report it at all. If you don't really know how many people have covid-19 you can't accurately tell how many people have recovered from it. Other reasons there is not enough manpower to keep track of the recovered. It is much easier to report number of positive and negative cases, hospitalizations, deaths because their is clear way to do it. How can someone gauge a recovery? Some take months to get better, others days, others never have symptoms, others mild symptoms. there is no simple way to gauge recovery numbers without a lot of manpower, info gathering, and a clear definition of recovery. Right now, no state has these abilities.
That is why states that report recoveries are either not accurate or only reported from those discharged from hospital, or the state made either their own erroneous definition of recovery. So states that are now trying to emphasize recovery numbers are peddling bs numbers.

You might notice that some health officials are careful to even use the word "recovery," considering the virus can still potentially linger in the body for multiple days while being asymptomatic. Some haven't landed on a concrete explanation or timeline for recovery, as the World Health Organization said it could take several weeks to recover and months for those who suffer severe issues.

"Donovan explains that officials in China were reporting recoveries when the outbreak began a few months ago, but as COVID-19 continues to spread around the world, researchers found there were too many different methods for reporting recoveries. That led to JHU's tracker only listing estimated cases in the U.S. Donovan says state and county recoveries could be included if there were to be a more uniform way of reporting them.
The number of recoveries is likely much, much higher; health officials just don't have that aforementioned "more uniform way" to report recoveries.
"People are recovering from this, absolutely," Casey Kelley of Northwestern University's Feinberg School of Medicine told U.S. News. "They absolutely are, and most people will. We just don't have the data because we don't have the manpower to monitor that right now."

https://www.khq.com/coronavirus/why-...e7f5b03b3.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2020, 08:23 AM

8,351 posts, read 5,502,221 times
When you stop showing symptoms and you feel better, you’re recovered.

What this article seems to be conflating is the difference between recovery and no longer contagious.

Old 05-02-2020, 10:23 AM

1,514 posts, read 890,913 times
Where does Texas rate in terms of amount of testing per citizen compared to the rest of the states?

Old 05-02-2020, 10:49 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Here's another question - where does Texas rate as far as known COVID 19 deaths per capita? Compared to other states.

Personally, that's what matters to me - deaths and illnesses serious enough to be treated by medical professionals, which generally involves testing. I don't really care how many people get some mild illness, stay home with it, recover, etc. I do that with a bad head cold - no way am I going to go sit in a doctor's office when I already feel bad, and subject myself to more germs and more hassle.

I got a call last night from someone who knows someone with COVID 19. The person they know is staying home, feels pretty bad but clearly not sick enough to be hospitalized. But hey, at least now I finally know someone who knows someone who has it - until last night the only person I knew who had it was an elderly brother of an elderly woman I know, and yes, he did pass away unfortunately. He was sick with multiple other issues already - so he was definitely fragile physically. He was also 89 years old. This person who my friend knows is young, at home, recovering. She was tested not because she was particularly sick, but because she works in a nursing home and everyone was tested.

Nursing homes - augh. I am not a hard hearted person. I lost my two elderly parents over the past couple of years. It was awful and sad. But I do know enough of their friends and of their situations to know that that particular age group is significantly more fragile and more succeptible to various types of pneumonia.

Old 05-02-2020, 09:49 PM

18 posts, read 14,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbullsfan View Post
Where does Texas rate in terms of amount of testing per citizen compared to the rest of the states?

Texas rates 47th amongst the states in testing.

Old 05-03-2020, 02:51 AM

15,531 posts, read 10,501,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jt33tx View Post
We have plenty of tests now. If someone is not going in for a test, that's on them.

Old 05-03-2020, 07:47 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
We have plenty of tests now. If someone is not going in for a test, that's on them.
Also, we're not ranked #47. We're ranked #42 per capita. Texas is a huge state with a huge population, and much of our population is spread out. We're actually ranked #4 in sheer number of tests, only outranked by NY, CA, and FL.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/usa/texas/

Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt33tx View Post
This is an irrelevant statistic. People go get tested when they are sick. If they don’t feel sick, they don’t go get tested. Are you implying Texas should force people to get tested?

What’s a better statistic is, of those tested, what percentage come back positive? In Texas, it’s between 8-9%. In California it’s 7%, Utah 4%, etc. Places like New York and Michigan are in the 23% range. That tells us a lot more than just doing large numbers of tests on people who don’t need them for the sake of getting testing numbers up.

Old 05-03-2020, 01:32 PM

3,950 posts, read 3,007,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
When you stop showing symptoms and you feel better, you’re recovered.

What this article seems to be conflating is the difference between recovery and no longer contagious.
What if you never showed symptoms at all?

Old 05-03-2020, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
What if you never showed symptoms at all?
Then your were never sick.

Dont conflate being sick with being contagious.

Going back to testing, the fact that only 9% of the people tested in Texas were positive for Novel Coronavirus would indicate there isnt a big testing problem in Texas.

https://covidactnow.org/us/tx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: