Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Best Downtown in Texas
El Paso 2 5.13%
Fort Worth 7 17.95%
Houston 9 23.08%
Austin 9 23.08%
Dallas 8 20.51%
San Antonio 4 10.26%
Voters: 39. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2020, 06:58 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LocalPlanner View Post
Downtown office market. There were suburban markets in DFW and Houston that were better than any downtown market in TX, as you have noted. That said, for a long time, Fort Worth's downtown market was extremely and notably healthy, way way way more so than Dallas' or Houston's.
Not last place......Dallas would be #1 for me.

Its busier than Houston, It offers more than Austin and Ft.Worth...and El Paso and San Antonio are nice but I wouldn't put them above Dallas......Downtown Dallas offers more than those two also,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2020, 07:17 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
Downtown Dallas has a lot of gaps/inconsistencies within the CBD, so currently I would consider it in last place. However, in terms of opportunity to reinvent itself and do something great, I'd put it at the top of the list.

Urban areas are receiving the attention it needs to fuel this construction. With the other neighborhoods around downtown continuing to density, the CBD is also receiving that residual growth. If the infill within CBD moves toward the way Downtown Austin is going, I think it'll have the best shot at being the best.
Yeah. Houston and Dallas downtowns are seen as below the rest but have much more of a variety to offer. and much more potential once all the dots get connected.

Old 08-26-2020, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
Yeah. Houston and Dallas downtowns are seen as below the rest but have much more of a variety to offer. and much more potential once all the dots get connected.
Dallas and Houston feel more BIG CITY than any other downtown in Texas....even on quiet nights.

Even Manhattan is not busy 24 hours...Its the other neighborhoods that are.

So in other words its hard to compare these two with any of the others...They're on a larger scale.

I would pick a quiet downtown Dallas with everything it offers over a bustling Austin San Antonio or Ft.Worth any day...simply because uptown Dallas/Victory Park competes well with downtown Austin SA or Ft.Worth.

IMO.

Old 08-27-2020, 10:00 AM

2,228 posts, read 1,401,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogramjet View Post
Have you been to downtown Austin lately? Right now, I'm not sure how any of Texas' downtowns are faring, but Austin's downtown is apocalyptic. Much of 6th Street and many Congress Avenue business are boarded up. Homeless zombies roam the streets aggressively panhandling targeting the few business people and residents who venture out. It is not a pleasant place. Protests continue nightly. I live and work in downtown Austin. It is not what it used to be. I hope it comes back, but right now it is not rank-able. That may be the case in other Texas cities, too.
I'm assuming this thread is not considering COVID. Obviously every office and nightlife district is impacted heavily by that.

Old 08-27-2020, 12:04 PM

656 posts, read 1,355,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Dallas and Houston feel more BIG CITY than any other downtown in Texas....even on quiet nights.

Even Manhattan is not busy 24 hours...Its the other neighborhoods that are.

So in other words its hard to compare these two with any of the others...They're on a larger scale.

I would pick a quiet downtown Dallas with everything it offers over a bustling Austin San Antonio or Ft.Worth any day...simply because uptown Dallas/Victory Park competes well with downtown Austin SA or Ft.Worth.

IMO.

I think W7th in FW blows Dallas uptown out of the water these days...

Old 08-27-2020, 01:14 PM

355 posts, read 469,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
I can somewhat agree, but Uptown is on another level in urbanity. That whole area of Ft. Worth reminds me of the Design District and West Dallas rolled into one (the scale of the building are practically identical). I will give you this: West 7th has more culturally significant institutions and the UNT Health Science Center that rivals any area in Dallas. It's a cool vibe in my book and Ft. Worth should be proud!

Old 08-27-2020, 01:18 PM

355 posts, read 469,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
True, but Houston has more consistency within its CBD, and Central Dallas is more integrated overall. When Dallas developers decide to start building on these large tracts of land (with pedestrian-friendly development), I'll give the edge to Dallas.

Old 08-27-2020, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Paleeze...W7th is nice but until it gets a

*Ritz Carleton https://www.ritzcarlton.com/en/hotel...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

*Cineopolis https://cinepolisusa.com/locations/c...s-victory-park

*Perot Museum of N&S https://www.perotmuseum.org/

*W Hotel https://www.marriott.com/hotels/trav...B&gclsrc=aw.ds

*Happiest Hour https://www.happiesthourdallas.com/

*West Village https://westvillagedallas.com/

*Klyde Warren Park

It won't be comparable.....sorry.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:31 PM

390 posts, read 389,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas12 View Post
True, but Houston has more consistency within its CBD, and Central Dallas is more integrated overall. When Dallas developers decide to start building on these large tracts of land (with pedestrian-friendly development), I'll give the edge to Dallas.
True, DT Houston does have more consistency within its CBD in terms of buildings which does kind of give it the consistent edge, but its consistency isn't really with parks, cool mixed use etc, its mainly just bland parking garages and office buildings. Dallas on the other hand is developing its surface lots quickly with parks and better urban development IMO.

Old 08-27-2020, 07:42 PM

9,893 posts, read 6,595,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeohnny View Post
True, DT Houston does have more consistency within its CBD in terms of buildings which does kind of give it the consistent edge, but its consistency isn't really with parks, cool mixed use etc, its mainly just bland parking garages and office buildings. Dallas on the other hand is developing its surface lots quickly with parks and better urban development IMO.
Exactly. Just because buildings are more consistent in Houston doesn't make it actually consistently anchored with street level amenities. There's Main Street, Green Street and Avenida Houston. The street level areas in Downtown Houston aren't consistent from one another. But street level developments can happen in existing buildings. Neither Houston nor Dallas are anywhere close to their street level potential.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas