Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2020, 06:48 AM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Republicans at least pretend to care about states rights, Democrats are openly against it.
How is that a compliment to Republicans? Sounds to me like you are saying the Democrats say what they mean while the Republicans are two faced hypocrites who talk out of both sides of their mouths depending on who they are talking to at that particular point in time.

And to the OP here’s the problem. I vividly remember when it made front page news as then Texas governor Rick Perry traveled to California to recruit their companies to move to Texas. You can’t bring their companies over then be shocked that the people who work for those companies come along as well bringing their belief systems too.

If you want to end the California infestation it’s simple. Stop recruiting their companies and focus on Texas origin companies. That basically means bye bye Toyota and hello cattle ranching and oil fracking. Sound good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 06:57 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Look at a list of companies that have started in Texas. There are way more than just oil and cattle. Such an easy thing to google and here you are spreading misinformation... And for what purpose exactly?

Old 11-10-2020, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Look at a list of companies that have started in Texas. There are way more than just oil and cattle. Such an easy thing to google and here you are spreading misinformation... And for what purpose exactly?
Interesting that you skipped over most of my post to focus on the last sentence. That says a lot.
Obviously, there is a lot more to Texas than just oil and cattle. But it's also fair to say that Texas has fueled a large part of its economic boom by recruiting companies from high cost states, especially California. Rick Perry did make this a big part of his economic plan to grow Texas. If I recall correctly, there is a multi billion dollar fund set up by the state specifically for this purpose, offering out money in the form of incentives to get companies to come here.

So the point again is, if you dont want the California liberals coming here then quit recruiting their companies. Seems like common sense to me, but then we live in a time when common sense isnt so common.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Certainly not all Republicans or conservatives are against states rights,

If your entire argument is just based off Trump, well, many will say he is not exactly a conservative.

I, for one, don't care what California does if it doesn't affect other states or the federal government, as I have no intention of going there for much longer than a vacation.
I already explained my comment.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
Interesting that you skipped over most of my post to focus on the last sentence. That says a lot.
Obviously, there is a lot more to Texas than just oil and cattle. But it's also fair to say that Texas has fueled a large part of its economic boom by recruiting companies from high cost states, especially California. Rick Perry did make this a big part of his economic plan to grow Texas. If I recall correctly, there is a multi billion dollar fund set up by the state specifically for this purpose, offering out money in the form of incentives to get companies to come here.

So the point again is, if you dont want the California liberals coming here then quit recruiting their companies. Seems like common sense to me, but then we live in a time when common sense isnt so common.
I agree completely. I wish we hadn't done that. It's ultimately not worth it. I have more than once on this board championed the same belief.

Old 11-10-2020, 08:34 AM

Quote:
I agree completely. I wish we hadn't done that. It's ultimately not worth it. I have more than once on this board championed the same belief.
Ah, but are you willing to accept the consequences that come with this? I dont know what part of the state you live in. I'm in DFW. I can tell you that there are many upscale suburbs that would be one stop light backwaters if the California strategy was not implemented. The northern suburbs in particular have prospered due to the influx of out of staters and the jobs as well. Quite frankly, without the California factor, Texas would essentially be "Alabama with oil". Lots of stagnant, small towns along with the oil in Houston and West Texas. Talented Texans who couldnt get into the oil and gas industry would have to leave the state to find decent jobs, kind of like what happens with all the surrounding states. I cant tell you how many people I've met from Oklahoma, Lousiana, Arkansas who all left their home states because Texas was the only nearby state that offered them a chance to get those college degree jobs that would allow them to live a decent lifestyle.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:06 AM

4,716 posts, read 8,578,288 times
Quote:
Ah, but are you willing to accept the consequences that come with this? I dont know what part of the state you live in. I'm in DFW. I can tell you that there are many upscale suburbs that would be one stop light backwaters if the California strategy was not implemented. The northern suburbs in particular have prospered due to the influx of out of staters and the jobs as well. Quite frankly, without the California factor, Texas would essentially be "Alabama with oil". Lots of stagnant, small towns along with the oil in Houston and West Texas. Talented Texans who couldnt get into the oil and gas industry would have to leave the state to find decent jobs, kind of like what happens with all the surrounding states. I cant tell you how many people I've met from Oklahoma, Lousiana, Arkansas who all left their home states because Texas was the only nearby state that offered them a chance to get those college degree jobs that would allow them to live a decent lifestyle.
Getting people to connect the dots between their 401(k)'s exponential growth, the exponential growth of their metro's population, and the new inconveniences in their life is like pulling teeth.

Old 11-10-2020, 10:15 AM

I'm a student who doesn't have a 401k and am not exactly a fan of the growth that is going on.

Old 11-10-2020, 11:41 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times
Quote:
I'm a student who doesn't have a 401k and am not exactly a fan of the growth that is going on.
Some people seem to think that nothing matters but money

Old 11-10-2020, 11:42 AM

4,775 posts, read 8,843,122 times
Quote:
How is that a compliment to Republicans? Sounds to me like you are saying the Democrats say what they mean while the Republicans are two faced hypocrites who talk out of both sides of their mouths depending on who they are talking to at that particular point in time.

And to the OP here’s the problem. I vividly remember when it made front page news as then Texas governor Rick Perry traveled to California to recruit their companies to move to Texas. You can’t bring their companies over then be shocked that the people who work for those companies come along as well bringing their belief systems too.

If you want to end the California infestation it’s simple. Stop recruiting their companies and focus on Texas origin companies. That basically means bye bye Toyota and hello cattle ranching and oil fracking. Sound good?
Yep...& watch how quickly educated folks native to Texas leave in droves. Republicans are just going to have to leave their far right politics behind because no one that is educated & informed is buying that kool aid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas