Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2020, 08:03 AM

6,222 posts, read 3,602,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
That shocks me
He isn't a Charlie Baker type.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2020, 08:53 AM

9,899 posts, read 6,602,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foamposite View Post
Immigration was barely even mentioned this election cycle. Maybe that was good for the GOP. I also want to point out that Hispanics are way less likely than black people to have negative experiences with the police. And most cops in South Texas are Hispanic themselves. The dynamic in the black South seems different because there are lots of white cops patrolling heavily black neighborhoods.
If I could give you some advice, don’t speak for a community you’re not part of. In some area (such as South Texas) this may be true. But in some places Hispanics get arguably worse treatment. Go to any tiny town in the south and this doesn’t hold weight. You sound extremely ignorant with these statements. This is why I never speak for any other community besides my own.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParaguaneroSwag View Post
If I could give you some advice, don’t speak for a community you’re not part of. In some area (such as South Texas) this may be true. But in some places Hispanics get arguably worse treatment. Go to any tiny town in the south and this doesn’t hold weight. You sound extremely ignorant with these statements. This is why I never speak for any other community besides my own.
That's not going to work on me, I am Hispanic. We were talking about South Texas in particular though, and obviously the police officers there are mostly Hispanic. But I was just providing insight as to why a lot of Hispanics vote GOP, because it seems to shock many on the left.

Old 11-11-2020, 09:45 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Quote:
That's not going to work on me, I am Hispanic. We were talking about South Texas in particular though, and obviously the police officers there are mostly Hispanic. But I was just providing insight as to why a lot of Hispanics vote GOP, because it seems to shock many on the left.
What is your Hispanic ethnicity?

Old 11-11-2020, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
What is your Hispanic ethnicity?
Ecuadorian

Old 11-11-2020, 10:09 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Before anybody questions me, I am Tejano/Mexican (as well as white/Anglo)

Old 11-11-2020, 10:34 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,507,167 times
Im a Lebanese. Arab and French.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:43 AM

Quote:
It work for you too. You’rw not in the same position as a Hispanic living in rural Arkansas, Alabama, etc. You can’t speak for all Hispanics. South Texas doesn’t get the same treatment. But many small towns (even medium sized towns) through the south as an example, Hispanics arguably get the worst treatment. Even if you visited these places as a darker skinned hispanic, you aren’t aware of living situations there

Perhaps where you grew up it was this way, but this doesn’t hold weight everywhere.

Old 11-11-2020, 10:52 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
If hispanic/latinos have it just as bad as blacks then why aren't they rioting or protesting and why isn't there a big "hispanic/latino lives matter" movement?

Old 11-11-2020, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
If hispanic/latinos have it just as bad as blacks then why aren't they rioting or protesting and why isn't there a big "hispanic/latino lives matter" movement?
There are many reasons. One being as foam pointed out, it varies. If you’re a Hispanic in south Texas, you’re far less vulnerable. If you’re a professional white collar worker in a large metro, you’re far less of a target than a labor worker anywhere, particularly a small town. And then there’s the language barrier, where the most vulnerable are less likely to speak English than else where. Hispanics are also a little ahead of blacks in the wealth distribution, but that’s likely because of how diverse the hispanic community is.

Overall, if you entire population of blacks and Hispanics, blacks will get worse treatment. But the treason this isn’t a good measurement in my opinion is because it’s a completely different story when you categorize conditions, when they got here, skin complexion, and so forth.

This is actually a hot topic My opinion is the language barrier and the variance in treatment are the biggest reasons.

Last edited by ParaguaneroSwag; 11-11-2020 at 11:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas