Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 07:19 AM

2,858 posts, read 2,174,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Midland will have the best job opportunities probably. If you transition to oil and gas you could potentially start making bank.
You are close to Cloudcroft/Ruidoso, NM and closer in general to New Mexico and Big Bend.
Yep, that's it.
Not until O&G recovers from its current slump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 07:24 AM

8,302 posts, read 5,709,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkwensky View Post
Not until O&G recovers from its current slump.
Agreed.

I could never, in good conscious, recommend Midland to a transplant right now.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:04 AM

5,614 posts, read 4,943,769 times
I can't recommend Midland unless you're absolutely committed to working in oil and gas, and the employment market for that is limited right now, and the long term outlook for that has also become weaker.

I don't know that anything is "wrong" with Victoria. It does have a historical aspect that may be interesting. There is heavy industry in the area. If you're strongly into coastal or offshore fishing, Victoria is by far the better choice, obviously. Can't say it has a huge amount of leisure activities within the community itself, but you have quick access to the coast, and the bigger metros of Corpus Christi, San Antonio, Austin and Houston are all readily accessible within a 2.5-hr drive or less (Corpus and San Antonio are closest).

Huntsville has a lot to offer. Significant higher education institution (SHSU), easy quick trip to both desirable northern Houston suburbs (Conroe and The Woodlands) and the Bryan - College Station area, pretty rolling hills and pine forest environment, and access to nearby East Texas recreation areas with major reservoirs and national forests. Not an expect on the place, but its economy appears stable.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:11 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,642,308 times
Lol, another 'no way Midland'. Even if there are more jobs and/or they pay higher, the cost of living there is higher due to the oddities of the oil field, and the quality of life is lower. I have two teacher friends that taught there for a long time and they left due to bust/boom effects on the community. The answer might be different if you were a young, single guy or a 'working woman' .

Victoria is a neat town, but is definitely a place where there are people with connections and people without, and it is still kind of run by the 'old families'. If there was a place I worried about being Hispanic, that would be the one, although maybe it has gotten by that some, who knows? It isn't for a lack of Hispanics, just a status in town thing.

Huntsville is my personal favorite location out of the three - close to lakes and woods, and not far from Houston and the access it provides. It is a college town. The degree that is it 'known' for, though, is criminal justice and it caters to the more conservative crowd. It is the place where they perform the executions for those convicted of the death penalty.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:23 AM

3,950 posts, read 3,008,700 times
Victoria is probably more hispanic than both towns combined. I don't understand that. Pretty much the whole town is white or hispanic with a smaller population of blacks.

Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,386,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supfromthesite View Post
Midland will have the best job opportunities probably. If you transition to oil and gas you could potentially start making bank.
You are close to Cloudcroft/Ruidoso, NM and closer in general to New Mexico and Big Bend.
Yep, that's it.
i dont think the OP would have a good shot at getting a oil job since we are in a bad bust.

Old 12-11-2020, 07:56 PM

3,217 posts, read 2,359,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db4xn14h41 View Post
I have job offers in a few Texas cities. In order of quality
1. Huntsville
2. Victoria
3. Midland

We are a Hispanic family with a 12-yo kid? Our budget is $260k and looking to buy a house.
Which job location would be best? What areas should we look at in each city? All the jobs listed are similar quality.
Huntsville first
rolling hills, heavily wooded college town, only 50 miles from downtown Houston and 20 miles from excellent hopping and events in The Woodlands, TX. Also, three hours from Dallas and about 2 and 1/2 hours from Austin,

Victoria second - along the gulf coast, affordable but fewer job opportunities if you want to change. Shopping choices and home builders aren't as abundant.

Midland last -hot, flat, less diverse, economy is highly concentrated in energy industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas