Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2021, 06:11 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,357,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compwiz02 View Post
I think what biafra4life is trying to imply (correct me if I'm wrong) is that people who don't take this **** seriously (eg: not wearing a mask) take all this health stuff for granted. Yes, as KathrynAragon mentioned, a lot of people will use their insurance to pay for the medical costs. So there is a "safety net".

A lot of people who think COVID is fake are like "it's just a cold. It's not gonna make me that sick. my grandma had it and it was super mild." and when they do get infected, they downplay it (just like how Trump did). You won't be able to downplay it if gets you on a ventilator or you are all alone feeling so sick in your hospital bed.

Lotta people think it's no big deal to get infected and then go to the hospital. Like it's part of life.
You sound like an old time fire and brimstone preacher in eastern Texas but I say go for it! I guess a few of those old scary sermons probably kept some people out of Hell.

I'll just add that my sister who just died from COVID was as much a Trump supporter as anyone and was not only a fiscal conservative as most conservatives these days think a full conservative is, but she was also a social conservative. She took this pandemic extremely serious by not leaving her rural Oklahoma home for the past year nor did she see her grandchildren for that same period. She only saw her husband for the past year and he always wore a mask. She and her husband had taken the first dose of the vaccine, they used sterilizers at home and were very careful about even bringing new groceries into the house. The only time she and he went out (with masks) was to see their doctors which is where we now think she may have contracted the virus. My BIL was also diagnosed with COVID at the same time but he seems to have recovered.

This is far from a partisan issue as some "hacks" would make it. It is a real and dangerous disease pandemic. However, with all the past misinformation we have had to endure from partisan private and government sources, it's way past time to let people use their own individual common sense to stay healthy. Individuals have only their precious lives invested in this thing unlike many private and governmental sources who may have money and livelihoods invested in spreading misinformation and outright lies.

As a former biologist, I will disagree with you that this pandemic is not a part of life. As the world population grows, so do the risks of more dangerous epidemics or even pandemics occurring. Life simply has significant risks and most scientists can't foresee a day when it won't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2021, 07:57 PM

1,341 posts, read 656,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
You sound like an old time fire and brimstone preacher in eastern Texas but I say go for it! I guess a few of those old scary sermons probably kept some people out of Hell.

I'll just add that my sister who just died from COVID was as much a Trump supporter as anyone and was not only a fiscal conservative as most conservatives these days think a full conservative is, but she was also a social conservative. She took this pandemic extremely serious by not leaving her rural Oklahoma home for the past year nor did she see her grandchildren for that same period. She only saw her husband for the past year and he always wore a mask. She and her husband had taken the first dose of the vaccine, they used sterilizers at home and were very careful about even bringing new groceries into the house. The only time she and he went out (with masks) was to see their doctors which is where we now think she may have contracted the virus. My BIL was also diagnosed with COVID at the same time but he seems to have recovered.

This is far from a partisan issue as some "hacks" would make it. It is a real and dangerous disease pandemic. However, with all the past misinformation we have had to endure from partisan private and government sources, it's way past time to let people use their own individual common sense to stay healthy. Individuals have only their precious lives invested in this thing unlike many private and governmental sources who may have money and livelihoods invested in spreading misinformation and outright lies.

As a former biologist, I will disagree with you that this pandemic is not a part of life. As the world population grows, so do the risks of more dangerous epidemics or even pandemics occurring. Life simply has significant risks and most scientists can't foresee a day when it won't.
Sorry about your sister. A lot of people go to the hospital and are fortunate to not get the virus. How does a pandemic start as the population grows? When I say that a lot of people think that getting infected and going to the hospital is something that is part of life, I am implying that a lot of people take it for granted. When you go to the hospital with a virus in yourself, you aren't guaranteed to leave the hospital. Some people assume the virus won't make them super sick and think they will leave the hospital after one day. Viruses are part of our lives and we will have to adapt to new viruses as they come. Problem is a lotta people are naïve and think whatever new viruses that come our way can be compared to viruses we're already adapted to over the years.

Old 03-04-2021, 10:13 PM

3,836 posts, read 4,444,557 times
You know what? I need to apologize to all the covid deniers, and mask defilers. I was wrong. The wife and I have been complaining for years that Texas is getting too crowded, and here nature offers a chance to cull the herd with some good old fashioned Darwinism, and I'm here trying to mess that up. Stupid of me. So please, take your masks off, have a good time, heck it's spring break next week, I'm sure the college kid knuckleheads will be out and about living it up and they would be more than happy to have you join them down at Padre Island maybe. Go for it. Really.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:03 PM

10,069 posts, read 7,241,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Good grief, I just am sick to death of seeing people in masks and in wearing masks. I can breathe in them, I don't wear glasses that could fog up, I understand the science, but dang it, I'm just so tired of them. Hate me.

That doesn't mean I won't wear them when required or when I feel I just should. I'm just saying I'm sick to death of them.
I ordered cool ones off of Etsy. Designs from movies, comic books, artistic obes, etc....and get compliments on them, which makes me feel better about life even though they're annoying.

We are halfway through the 3rd quarter of this game. It is not the time to slack on defense. I think Texas is going to be sorry it didn't wait at least 6-8 weeks, or when vaccinations got to 35-45%.

Old 03-04-2021, 11:33 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,722 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elan View Post
One week from today, my mask comes off. Not because of some government mandate or lack there of. But because it will be 14 days after by second vaccine dose. I urge everyone to get vaccinated so we can stop arguing about it.
Vaccine is for YOU, mask is for OTHERS... vaccine is of minimal benefit for asymptomatic spread, tho it is pumped to be as a ploy to win the anti-vaxers. It is quite possible to be a spreader (even with a vaccine). Tho the incidences of being a high load viral spreader will be far less prolonged. I am in high risk group and over age 65, but no available doses on the horizon, maybe July or August, so I'm glad I still use my copper zapper many times / day! Having lived in Asia for SARS and MERS, and worked and traveled internationally for 30+ yrs, I will be wearing my mask(s) when in the presence of others, maybe for yrs. Mask is for them, not me. I'm just glad I am not a medical professional, I have worn for 18 hr flights and often 16 - 20 hr workdays for months at a time. It is uncomfortable & troublesome, but necessary to protect others.

Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
I agree absolutely! And I just lost a very much loved sister last month to COVID.

Abbott is only allowing people to use their common sense which is still precedent and traditional in most parts of Texas where people still have some.
please tell me where? when I have business in SA or AUS people are masked. In rural Texas, rarely do I see a mask, and then only worn as a chin-protector. (ineffective). Seems to be common sense.(?)

Quote:
Thankfully hardly anyone actually has to be admitted to the hospital, let alone go to ICU.
currently only 1599 Covid patients in TX ICU's
5263 total hospitalized (TX only)
https://covidtracking.com/data/state/texas

Seems like way too many to me, but it is less than January. (temporarily)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biafra4life View Post
You know what? I need to apologize to all the covid deniers, and mask defilers. I was wrong. The wife and I have been complaining for years that Texas is getting too crowded, and here nature offers a chance to cull the herd with some good old fashioned Darwinism, and I'm here trying to mess that up. Stupid of me. So please, take your masks off, have a good time, heck it's spring break next week, I'm sure the college kid knuckleheads will be out and about living it up and they would be more than happy to have you join them down at Padre Island maybe. Go for it. Really.
Yeah, I just look at my regions where I live.
In Texas 1,500+ deaths / m I am located in a fairly rural area with low density, and small towns. I know many with Covid and several have died (82 in a very dinky county (lower population than most towns)) but it happens nearly everyday, or on the prayer chain for a relative of someone who has died, but usually a neighbor or healthcare worker. 18% positivity in county,

My PNW home ~600 deaths / m is rural, but near a large metro area (500k+) prayer chain / church is 15x bigger than TX church / community. I know no one who has died and only a couple people who have had Covid <5% positivity.

My Thailand home 1 death / m, also rural but close to urban and many many people jammed on mass transit, very close qtrs in factories and food courts (which are all operating since March 2020). Positivity? What positivity? No need to test, no new cases except for inbound travelers. No one knows anyone who has had Covid
HC is excellent and VERY affordable and ultra quick.. (~ 20 min total to have a hospital checkup, including waiting to register as a new patient, getting a card made for you, seeing Nurse, seeing Dr, and meeting with finance to pay your 200 bhat. ($6USD).

Guess which regions are wearing masks? (and not via a 'childish'/ instructional mandate). Learned people know what is in the best interest of their community and country. No rebellion, no questions, just do it.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 03-04-2021 at 11:46 PM..

Old 03-05-2021, 05:42 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I ordered cool ones off of Etsy. Designs from movies, comic books, artistic obes, etc....and get compliments on them, which makes me feel better about life even though they're annoying.

We are halfway through the 3rd quarter of this game. It is not the time to slack on defense. I think Texas is going to be sorry it didn't wait at least 6-8 weeks, or when vaccinations got to 35-45%.
Oh I have all manner of masks - cloth, "fashionable," surgical, N95s, you name it. I think they all suck. But I'm still wearing them. And I really am sick of them.

Old 03-05-2021, 06:02 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

currently only 1599 Covid patients in TX ICU's
5263 total hospitalized (TX only)
https://covidtracking.com/data/state/texas

Seems like way too many to me, but it is less than January. (temporarily)
Right - .018 percent of Texans are hospitalized with COVID 19, according to these numbers which I haven't verified. And thankfully only .006 percent of Texans are in ICU for COVID 19.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:53 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
I don't care what the good gubna says, I'm still wearing mine because I think it's much too soon to totally let our guard down. Not telling anyone else what to do, just speaking for myself. I also think infection rates are about to take off.

Old 03-05-2021, 12:55 PM

3,889 posts, read 2,204,375 times
Quote:
Right - .018 percent of Texans are hospitalized with COVID 19, according to these numbers which I haven't verified. And thankfully only .006 percent of Texans are in ICU for COVID 19.
If this is true then that's awesome!

Old 03-05-2021, 02:04 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,625,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westerner92 View Post
Lol what? Please tell me where I clung to any politicians’ words.

Yeah, we agree America’s healthcare system is screwed up. The healthcare system only comes into play once the pandemic is loose within borders. Acknowledging that the feds actually did a good job suppressing potential pandemics in Asia up until the program was stopped in 2019 doesn’t mean I think the feds are a shining paragon of goodness and preparation. I feel like you’re trying to make me out to be a champagne liberal, but my abrasive tone was learned in Texas and perfected in road construction.

You have my utmost ability to empathize in regards to systemic racism. Being a “stealth” gay dude, anywhere that isn’t the core of a major city is a minefield in regards to who I can trust, but I at least get to choose who knows and judges me. That has nothing to do with how Texas is rolling the dice for all of us despite showing multiple times this last year that it consistently makes crappy decisions. An international border would be the only way to contain that stupidity in regards to pandemic. Sub-national patchworks of standards with freedom of movement makes little sense in pandemic, and this won’t be the last pandemic in our lifetimes.

You can see in later posts that I intentionally suggest expulsion specifically to highlight just how ridiculous Texan secessionists sound. Shocking rhetoric is the only thing that’ll make sheltered suburbanites doped up on corn syrup and TV news take a step back. But seriously, if Texas keeps unilaterally making decisions that affect the collective, the union loses most of its positives, and it’s actually dangerous to share a country with a region that has such little regard for its own citizens, much less the citizens of the rest of country affected by their decisions. The argument that those who preach tolerance have to tolerate intolerance doesn’t work on me.

We’re just getting started on the rocky century ahead of us, and collective decision making is the only way anything will remain remotely stable. Either places like Texas wake up, the US splits up, or the US descends into Latin American-style instability and wealth divides. This past year has revealed decades of cultural rot, and I don’t play nice with those who want to defend it out of reflexive pride.
A much better reasonable post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas