Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2021, 05:23 PM

4 posts, read 9,923 times

Advertisements

My sister is gifting me her car (Texas title) and I'm living out of state for the foreseeable future. I have the title, application for title/registration, and affadavit of motor vehicle gift transfer completed. Is there anything else to this process to make the transfer to my name go smoothly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 09:03 AM

3,830 posts, read 1,384,422 times
If the inspection is due that will also be required (or required to renew for another year).
Are you keeping it registered in Texas (just transferring it)?

Old 04-25-2021, 04:50 PM

588 posts, read 486,932 times
I’m following this thread. I bought a car for my son when he turned 18. He is 21 now and I want to transfer it in his name. He is moving to Boston in fall. Please post information and links for the process, if you’ve done it for your kiddos or siblings.

Old 04-25-2021, 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20Hope20 View Post
I’m following this thread. I bought a car for my son when he turned 18. He is 21 now and I want to transfer it in his name. He is moving to Boston in fall. Please post information and links for the process, if you’ve done it for your kiddos or siblings.
Does your son have a current Texas drivers license & TX address ?
If so use this form:https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...iles/130-U.pdf
and this one: https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...les/14-317.pdf
(you can fill them in online, then printout & sign first one, but wait to sign 2nd till in front of notary - ps, they are a notary at the DMV if you go, or you can notarize at bank/grocery store/etc and hand completed forms to son to take to TEXAS DMV himself).

If he's moving to Boston permanently, it easier to do the above first so it's all totally in his name (and get insurance), then when He's in Boston he can X-fer it there himself and won't need you present or involved.

Old 04-25-2021, 10:17 PM

588 posts, read 486,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
Does your son have a current Texas drivers license & TX address ?
If so use this form:https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...iles/130-U.pdf
and this one: https://www.txdmv.gov/sites/default/...les/14-317.pdf
(you can fill them in online, then printout & sign first one, but wait to sign 2nd till in front of notary - ps, they are a notary at the DMV if you go, or you can notarize at bank/grocery store/etc and hand completed forms to son to take to TEXAS DMV himself).

If he's moving to Boston permanently, it easier to do the above first so it's all totally in his name (and get insurance), then when He's in Boston he can X-fer it there himself and won't need you present or involved.
Thank you.

Old 05-06-2021, 10:37 PM

4 posts, read 9,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCCyou View Post
If the inspection is due that will also be required (or required to renew for another year).
Are you keeping it registered in Texas (just transferring it)?
Hi, ideally I'd like to have it registered in Washington (where I plan to live), but I thought that first I'd transfer it to myself to make it easy. I saw your comment about having a current in-state license, which disappointed me a little bit. I recently updated my license for the state I'm in, since my TX license was set to expire soon. Although I have both of those forms completed and notarized. Any suggestions there? Are the forms still good?

Old 05-07-2021, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaaach View Post
Hi, ideally I'd like to have it registered in Washington (where I plan to live), but I thought that first I'd transfer it to myself to make it easy. I saw your comment about having a current in-state license, which disappointed me a little bit. I recently updated my license for the state I'm in, since my TX license was set to expire soon. Although I have both of those forms completed and notarized. Any suggestions there? Are the forms still good?
The forms will only be good in Texas. They may let you use your WA license to transfer it, I really don't know in that case. (It would be a sure thing with a valid TX license.) - you'd best go to the DMV for guidance. Is your TX license still unexpired? Maybe they will let you transfer it in Texas if the registration is still current, and there is still some time left on it, at the DMV, but not 'renew' it - cause you'll do that in WA when you x-fer it there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas