Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2021, 05:38 PM

9,850 posts, read 13,693,812 times

Advertisements

Hi, Texas forum! I'm looking for suggestions for a quiet 4th of July weekend getaway within a few hour's drive of Austin. I'm thinking between an hour a 3-hour drive. I'm open to almost anywhere with the key being not being bombarded by the 4th of July Fireworks. I'd like a small-town vibe. I'm thinking like a Fredrickburg or Comfort type of feel (both on the table). I've even considered Waco or driving down to the coast. I don't need fun activities, although that's a bonus. I'll probably just Netflix, read, and study for my LCSW exam. I'm not looking to spend more than like $250 a night so a few of the cuter places that I've eyed in the past are off the table due to holiday pricing. I'm just looking at Airbnb and Vrbo for right now. Throw me ideas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2021, 07:18 PM

573 posts, read 335,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Hi, Texas forum! I'm looking for suggestions for a quiet 4th of July weekend getaway within a few hour's drive of Austin. I'm thinking between an hour a 3-hour drive. I'm open to almost anywhere with the key being not being bombarded by the 4th of July Fireworks. I'd like a small-town vibe. I'm thinking like a Fredrickburg or Comfort type of feel (both on the table). I've even considered Waco or driving down to the coast. I don't need fun activities, although that's a bonus. I'll probably just Netflix, read, and study for my LCSW exam. I'm not looking to spend more than like $250 a night so a few of the cuter places that I've eyed in the past are off the table due to holiday pricing. I'm just looking at Airbnb and Vrbo for right now. Throw me ideas!
If you want peace and quiet with no TV....the place is in your title. Getaway.House. they have very tiny cabins in Wimberly.

Old 04-22-2021, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilsn3r View Post
If you want peace and quiet with no TV....the place is in your title. Getaway.House. they have very tiny cabins in Wimberly.
I'd prefer some wifi and tv. That's good to know, though!

Old 04-22-2021, 10:26 PM

3,266 posts, read 5,631,650 times
My wife and I just spent a couple of nights here :

https://www.cottonginvillage.com/.

My wife loved it. It's not out in the country but on the outskirts of Fredericksburg at the intersection of 2 highways (16 & 87). The cabins are nice, very clean, nice amenities. The selling point is that they are on the grounds with the Cabernet Grill Restaurant. It takes reservations to get a table and the food is outstanding with a huge wine list. Even if you didn't get the cabin this restaurant should be on your bucket list (In fact my wife learned of it watching the Texas Bucket List television show).

https://www.cabernetgrill.com/

They have a chicken fried ribeye with a lobster sauce "gravy". It's outstanding. The second night we ate on the patio just steps from our cabin. One last suggestion, even though their wine list is huge I recommend trying the peach margarita.

Hope you have an awesome getaway.

Old 04-23-2021, 04:44 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,868,308 times
If you want to go to Fredericksburg, you need to make reservations NOW. The city has a huge July 4th parade and a large fireworks show. All of the lodging will be full. I’ve attended twice before, and we had a great time.

But if you’re looking for “peace and quiet” over the holiday weekend, that’s not what you are going to find.

Old 04-23-2021, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
If you want to go to Fredericksburg, you need to make reservations NOW. The city has a huge July 4th parade and a large fireworks show. All of the lodging will be full. I’ve attended twice before, and we had a great time.

But if you’re looking for “peace and quiet” over the holiday weekend, that’s not what you are going to find.
Good to know. There wasn’t a lot available and it was all pretty pricey already. I’ll skip Fredericksburg for the 4th of July. I’m thinking outskirts of Waco now with a trip to the silos on Friday and then just hanging low Saturday and Sunday.

Old 04-23-2021, 07:40 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,318,331 times
Well ”outskirts of Waco” isn't exactly what I'd recommend for a special weekend, but I guess everyone has their own tastes.

Old 04-23-2021, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
Well ”outskirts of Waco” isn't exactly what I'd recommend for a special weekend, but I guess everyone has their own tastes.
It's not special, it's more of getting away from the ridiculous fireworks that go off during the 4th of July weekend in the city limits. My dog can't stand it. I'm not looking for anything jaw dropping or awe inspiring, just something that's nice and a bit quiet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas