Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2021, 10:40 AM

15 posts, read 15,185 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I am a secondary/high school teacher in Canada and have been contemplating making the move with my family.

Was wondering if I could get some opinions on how teaching is like in Texas? Any out of country teachers such as myself who have made the transfer?

Currently I have been looking at this government link for the application process: https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educator...nother-country

Does anyone know of particular locations, cities, suburbs etc. that are in more of a need for high school teachers? I hold a variety of teaching credentials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2021, 12:39 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I taught for 10 years in Texas. I got into teaching from another career through an alt-cert program, not as a teacher from another country so I know nothing of the administrative hurdles required to get certified to teach in TX as a Canadian. But I expect they are lower than for many other states as TX is one of the easier states to get certified in.

As for where to go to find teaching jobs. I would just say this. Texas has hundreds of thousands of certified teachers and they are generally not stupid. They know which are the more highly-desired communities to live in and the more highly desired schools to teach in based on salaries, amenities, community, etc. Jobs in the "best" schools and communities get snatched up quickly. Education in Texas is also very local so the disparities between poor rural districts and wealthy suburban districts can be absolutely enormous when it comes to things like salaries and working conditions. Texas has some of the poorest schools in the country and also some of the wealthiest.

What that means is that you will find almost a perfect inverse relationship between availability of teaching jobs and how desirable a district or community is to teach in. I could give you a list of the top 25 nicest and best schools and school districts in Texas and they would almost certainly be the 25 hardest districts to find jobs in.

Generally speaking, remote rural areas that are far beyond commuting distance to major cities and high-poverty areas are going to be the easiest places to find teaching jobs because those are where few teachers really want to live and work. So anyplace that is 50-100 miles or further away from any major city as well as high poverty areas such as those along the Rio Grande Valley border region.

Inner city schools in big cities, even if they are rough schools, are probably harder to find teaching jobs in compared to rural areas because teachers can live good parts of Dallas/Houston/Austin etc. and just easily commute to a rougher school. So finding a job in say inner city Dallas is probably much harder than someplace way out in West Texas like Pecos where no one wants to live and that is too isolated to commute to. Plus big city districts generally pay a lot better than small rural districts.

The hardest places to find teaching jobs will be in the affluent suburban districts around major cities. So places like Plano or Frisco near Dallas, Katy or Woodlands near Houston, or Lake Travis near Austin. Those are the posh schools with lots of resources and higher salary schedules and openings usually get snatched up very fast.

Bottom line? If you speak Spanish then rural districts along the Rio Grande Valley and Mexico border are going to be the easiest places to find jobs. If you don't speak Spanish then basically any rural small town that is well beyond reasonable commuting distance to a larger city will be your best bet. The more rural and isolated the better.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
I taught for 10 years in Texas. I got into teaching from another career through an alt-cert program, not as a teacher from another country so I know nothing of the administrative hurdles required to get certified to teach in TX as a Canadian. But I expect they are lower than for many other states as TX is one of the easier states to get certified in.

As for where to go to find teaching jobs. I would just say this. Texas has hundreds of thousands of certified teachers and they are generally not stupid. They know which are the more highly-desired communities to live in and the more highly desired schools to teach in based on salaries, amenities, community, etc. Jobs in the "best" schools and communities get snatched up quickly. Education in Texas is also very local so the disparities between poor rural districts and wealthy suburban districts can be absolutely enormous when it comes to things like salaries and working conditions. Texas has some of the poorest schools in the country and also some of the wealthiest.

What that means is that you will find almost a perfect inverse relationship between availability of teaching jobs and how desirable a district or community is to teach in. I could give you a list of the top 25 nicest and best schools and school districts in Texas and they would almost certainly be the 25 hardest districts to find jobs in.

Generally speaking, remote rural areas that are far beyond commuting distance to major cities and high-poverty areas are going to be the easiest places to find teaching jobs because those are where few teachers really want to live and work. So anyplace that is 50-100 miles or further away from any major city as well as high poverty areas such as those along the Rio Grande Valley border region.

Inner city schools in big cities, even if they are rough schools, are probably harder to find teaching jobs in compared to rural areas because teachers can live good parts of Dallas/Houston/Austin etc. and just easily commute to a rougher school. So finding a job in say inner city Dallas is probably much harder than someplace way out in West Texas like Pecos where no one wants to live and that is too isolated to commute to. Plus big city districts generally pay a lot better than small rural districts.

The hardest places to find teaching jobs will be in the affluent suburban districts around major cities. So places like Plano or Frisco near Dallas, Katy or Woodlands near Houston, or Lake Travis near Austin. Those are the posh schools with lots of resources and higher salary schedules and openings usually get snatched up very fast.

Bottom line? If you speak Spanish then rural districts along the Rio Grande Valley and Mexico border are going to be the easiest places to find jobs. If you don't speak Spanish then basically any rural small town that is well beyond reasonable commuting distance to a larger city will be your best bet. The more rural and isolated the better.

I really appreciate the reply! Thank you for your in-depth responses. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish but had assumed had I did, I would fare an easier time given the migration patterns of Texas.

Old 08-10-2021, 02:50 PM

364 posts, read 1,420,282 times
I'm a special ed teacher at a high school. Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for general info?

My high school is a medium size for the state. We have around 2100 students and 180-ish teachers. We hire many new teachers every year. This year the number of new hires was around 20.

Why are you looking in Texas? I have never been to Canada, but I would guess the northeast US would be closer to what you are used to. Canada to Texas would be a culture shock (in my mind anyway). If you are looking for heat and friendly people then come on down! Be advised, it gets hot here about May 1 and doesn't cool off until late October. Winter (such as it is) is usually very pleasant, but short. We don't have much of a spring or fall.

Most of the native Texans are friendly and gregarious. Some of the new-comers are less laid-back. But it's all good.

I hope you find what you are looking for.

Old 08-11-2021, 07:32 AM

1,952 posts, read 827,402 times
But...won't you be missing out on the wonderful govt healthcare system in Canada?

The one that Micheal Moore and other liberals keep telling us is sooo wonderful? LOL

Old 08-11-2021, 08:22 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
OP, are you aware that Texas has two of the ten largest cities in the US, a host of smaller cities, hundreds of suburban districts surrounding those cities, medium size towns, small towns, and rural hamlets?

”What is it like teaching in Texas?” is a completely meaningless question.

Teaching in an inner city high school in Dallas or Houston will be a totally different experience from teaching in a high end landlocked suburb like Highland Park or West U will be a totally different experience from teaching in a high end exurb will be a totally different experience from teaching in the one high school in a town of 12,000 will be a totally different experience from teaching in a rural consolidated high school serving a 1000 sq. mile county. All of these exist and are hiring.

If you want to teach at Madison High School in Dallas, you won't be needing much Spanish. If you want to teach in McAllen, you'll want to know espanol.

Old 08-11-2021, 09:50 AM

729 posts, read 531,872 times
Before teaching you will need to learn proper spelling: color not colour, meter not metre, lots more.

You need to learn all the proper meanings and usages of "y'all". This is covered on several CD forums.

Also if you hear "Well bless your heart!", be aware that it is Southern swearing.

Old 08-11-2021, 03:19 PM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE2021 View Post
Hello everyone, I am a secondary/high school teacher in Canada and have been contemplating making the move with my family.

Was wondering if I could get some opinions on how teaching is like in Texas? Any out of country teachers such as myself who have made the transfer?

Currently I have been looking at this government link for the application process: https://tea.texas.gov/texas-educator...nother-country

Does anyone know of particular locations, cities, suburbs etc. that are in more of a need for high school teachers? I hold a variety of teaching credentials.
Can't help you on teaching jobs and qualifications. As said before your questions are a bit too wide ranging and generalized. I've no doubt you could do the job. My Canadian born and raised wife had an exemplary education via Canada (Catholic school, public secondary, graduate of UNB).

Things that might be difficult would be acclimating to both the weather and culture. My base thoughts are that you'd need to get a few years work history before moving into a more desirable school district.

Good luck and welcome if you decide to come. Keep us posted here. It is an interesting potential move.

Old 08-15-2021, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSTX View Post
I'm a special ed teacher at a high school. Do you have any specific questions or are you looking for general info?

My high school is a medium size for the state. We have around 2100 students and 180-ish teachers. We hire many new teachers every year. This year the number of new hires was around 20.

Why are you looking in Texas? I have never been to Canada, but I would guess the northeast US would be closer to what you are used to. Canada to Texas would be a culture shock (in my mind anyway). If you are looking for heat and friendly people then come on down! Be advised, it gets hot here about May 1 and doesn't cool off until late October. Winter (such as it is) is usually very pleasant, but short. We don't have much of a spring or fall.

Most of the native Texans are friendly and gregarious. Some of the new-comers are less laid-back. But it's all good.

I hope you find what you are looking for.
Thank you for the response and follow-up questions!

Definitely secondary/high-school, I can teach social sciences and business. 2100 students in Canada would be considered a massive school!

To answer your questions without being too political; with the direction Canada and the provinces are going since covid, I still hold strong beliefs of liberty and freedom and I am largely outnumbered. Despite my province being 82% vaccinated, they will begin installing passports,and mandated vaccines including for government employees and children 12+ in schools. It's a scary precedent and has been gradually growing more 'collective-group think' since our PM has been elected 5 years ago but since covid it's like the fast-forward button has been pressed. I really do not want this thread to be political (I've read on here many stances of people pro, or against forced vaccination etc.) but this is my cause of concern for my family and I. Texas and Florida are strong prospects for us.

Texas will definitely be a culture shock no doubt. My family and I are very happy and friendly people and yearn for the feel of community that has been lost in our area. My wife won't mind the heat one bit and nor will I because we do not care for the winters here lol!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
But...won't you be missing out on the wonderful govt healthcare system in Canada?

The one that Micheal Moore and other liberals keep telling us is sooo wonderful? LOL
Many pros and cons to our healthcare. Will I miss the affordability? Yes (it ain't free though). Will not miss the long wait times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
OP, are you aware that Texas has two of the ten largest cities in the US, a host of smaller cities, hundreds of suburban districts surrounding those cities, medium size towns, small towns, and rural hamlets?

”What is it like teaching in Texas?” is a completely meaningless question.

Teaching in an inner city high school in Dallas or Houston will be a totally different experience from teaching in a high end landlocked suburb like Highland Park or West U will be a totally different experience from teaching in a high end exurb will be a totally different experience from teaching in the one high school in a town of 12,000 will be a totally different experience from teaching in a rural consolidated high school serving a 1000 sq. mile county. All of these exist and are hiring.

If you want to teach at Madison High School in Dallas, you won't be needing much Spanish. If you want to teach in McAllen, you'll want to know espanol.
Very aware how big it is and that's why I left it so general. Rather have people chime in from any area to then form a complete picture with options that would best suit my family and I.

Thank you for the reply! Noted.
  • Which cities would be hiring the most teachers?
  • Which areas / regions / cities would be highly rated? (low-key places are fine too. We are simple people that enjoy the little things in life)
  • Cost of living versus commute times for some rural commutes to work?

Based on the first posters very detailed response I have made note of the rural and city like teaching opportunities:

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenHair View Post
Before teaching you will need to learn proper spelling: color not colour, meter not metre, lots more.

You need to learn all the proper meanings and usages of "y'all". This is covered on several CD forums.

Also if you hear "Well bless your heart!", be aware that it is Southern swearing.
Funny you say that because most of our software programs and cell-phones are pre-installed with American-English and most of us do not change it to Canadian, and most of my students write color and meter

Yikes! I would have thought "well bless your heart" to be words of affirmation!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTex View Post
Can't help you on teaching jobs and qualifications. As said before your questions are a bit too wide ranging and generalized. I've no doubt you could do the job. My Canadian born and raised wife had an exemplary education via Canada (Catholic school, public secondary, graduate of UNB).

Things that might be difficult would be acclimating to both the weather and culture. My base thoughts are that you'd need to get a few years work history before moving into a more desirable school district.

Good luck and welcome if you decide to come. Keep us posted here. It is an interesting potential move.
Thank you very much for the response. It would definitely be a weather and culture shock but something we both desperately would love for our family. I have looked into the teaching qualifications for Texas and they do consider my degree and years of experience towards their proficiency qualification.Thank you again!

Last edited by JE2021; 08-15-2021 at 09:42 AM..

Old 08-15-2021, 07:01 PM

33,313 posts, read 12,491,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JE2021 View Post
I really appreciate the reply! Thank you for your in-depth responses. Unfortunately I do not speak Spanish but had assumed had I did, I would fare an easier time given the migration patterns of Texas.

IMO, that was a really good post by texasdiver.

Accurate and funny.

The frank assessment of Pecos prompted a laugh from me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas