Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2021, 11:27 PM

215 posts, read 212,668 times

Advertisements

I wont bore you with the details of why im on my way to homelessness (if youre wondering its not because of drugs or alcohol) but there were a lot of moving pieces that "moved" quite rapidly and i had to burn a lot of bridges in my ex-hometown and not really sure what my next step in life should be.Here is some background info,im currently on the West Coast but im originally from Texas and will be moving back there quite soon.Its simply just not affordable out west.At any rate does anybody know some place or places that i can "start all over again"?I was thinking Houston,TX but that city can get a little crazy.Im leaving San Antonio out because thats where i burned a lot of bridges.I tried Amarillo and i didnt fit in that town.Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2021, 07:54 AM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
Any career or profession? I'm assuming not but want to be sure.

Regardless of where you go, you're going to need a job very quickly.

You can probably rent in the Houston suburbs fairly affordable but you're going to run into road blocks when they ask for income verification. Another problem is, depending on your career level, you may still need a roommate which may be impossible to obtain in such short notice. If that is the case, I would probably start over somewhere smaller where you may still be able to rent with a smaller budget. Find a job quickly in said respective city Then look for ways to increase my education in my career of choice with any extra proceeds, after obtaining that, get a job in said respective career in a more desirable city. If more funding is needed sooner, I would get my CDL and truck drive for awhile, they're in high demand right now. After which...continue focusing on me.

Old 10-19-2021, 08:16 AM

194 posts, read 306,897 times
There are MANY jobs available in the DFW area. My grandson just moved back here from another state and had a pick, despite having little college or specific work skills. He's at a WalMart warehouse now, earning $22/hr with benefits ... not bad for his age/experience. Amazon is hiring as well ... housing is going up, but you could find a short-stay hotel at a fairly decent price that would keep you going until the first couple of paychecks come in. ... and I'll add that he found his job online, while on the way back to Texas!

Old 10-19-2021, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot Daisy View Post
There are MANY jobs available in the DFW area. My grandson just moved back here from another state and had a pick, despite having little college or specific work skills. He's at a WalMart warehouse now, earning $22/hr with benefits ... not bad for his age/experience. Amazon is hiring as well ... housing is going up, but you could find a short-stay hotel at a fairly decent price that would keep you going until the first couple of paychecks come in. ... and I'll add that he found his job online, while on the way back to Texas!
Your writeup is very encouraging.I just can't afford 2100 dollars a month for a one bedroom/one bath apartment in Reno,NV..

Old 10-19-2021, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
Any career or profession? I'm assuming not but want to be sure.

Regardless of where you go, you're going to need a job very quickly.

You can probably rent in the Houston suburbs fairly affordable but you're going to run into road blocks when they ask for income verification. Another problem is, depending on your career level, you may still need a roommate which may be impossible to obtain in such short notice. If that is the case, I would probably start over somewhere smaller where you may still be able to rent with a smaller budget. Find a job quickly in said respective city Then look for ways to increase my education in my career of choice with any extra proceeds, after obtaining that, get a job in said respective career in a more desirable city. If more funding is needed sooner, I would get my CDL and truck drive for awhile, they're in high demand right now. After which...continue focusing on me.
Not a profession per se,but I had a lot of experience in the hotel industry back in San Antonio.As a matter of fact I was only working three days a week and making ends meet and living quite comfortably until you guessed it COVID hit and derailed San Antonio's hospitality industry.I had some good money saved from the stimulus unfortunately family issues came into play when I was not as "funded" with money so I had to pull all my finances together and kind of anticapting my inevitable homeless situation.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:45 PM

738 posts, read 768,345 times
Might go for extended stay hotel/suite until you find a job and then can get an apartment with verified income. Looks like there are options in Houston in the $40 a night range and I think you are exempt from hotel tax. $1200 a month isn't bad with all utilities included. Work in Texas is a decent job site.

If jobs ask for an address say you just moved back and are staying in a hotel until you find a job so you can live near work.

Shouldn't be hard to find a job of some sort. I know HEB is paying $15-$17 an hour starting with no experience for stockers and shoppers in pretty much every city($17 in the major metros $15 in the smaller ones). It's kinda why restaurants can't find anyone. OT on top of that.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:57 AM

11,852 posts, read 8,070,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
Not a profession per se,but I had a lot of experience in the hotel industry back in San Antonio.As a matter of fact I was only working three days a week and making ends meet and living quite comfortably until you guessed it COVID hit and derailed San Antonio's hospitality industry.I had some good money saved from the stimulus unfortunately family issues came into play when I was not as "funded" with money so I had to pull all my finances together and kind of anticapting my inevitable homeless situation.
How is the hospitality industry holding up currently? Seems as if a lot more people are traveling this year with vaccines available but I am not sure if we have recovered or not.

I would apply in Houston or DFW and see what I could get and for the time being let that be the determining factor of where I relocate to. If it looks like you’re unable to find one, I would do -something- for now atleast to get back and stay on your feet until you get the job you want.

As for the homeless situation, I personally think you still have an opportunity to avoid it but if work doesn’t come in the hospitality industry fairly soon, you may have to consider temporarily working in another line of work as to avoid depleting the rest of your savings while continuing to apply for hotels, ect until you’re able to get what you want again.

Another place to consider for hotels, although you will have to leave the state is Atlanta. They have the most hotels out of any metro in the country and also the worlds busiest airport. Perhaps their hospitality industry may still be workable, I am unsure though.

Last edited by Need4Camaro; 10-20-2021 at 01:32 AM..

Old 10-20-2021, 03:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4Camaro View Post
How is the hospitality industry holding up currently? Seems as if a lot more people are traveling this year with vaccines available but I am not sure if we have recovered or not.

I would apply in Houston or DFW and see what I could get and for the time being let that be the determining factor of where I relocate to. If it looks like you’re unable to find one, I would do -something- for now atleast to get back and stay on your feet until you get the job you want.

As for the homeless situation, I personally think you still have an opportunity to avoid it but if work doesn’t come in the hospitality industry fairly soon, you may have to consider temporarily working in another line of work as to avoid depleting the rest of your savings while continuing to apply for hotels, ect until you’re able to get what you want again.

Another place to consider for hotels, although you will have to leave the state is Atlanta. They have the most hotels out of any metro in the country and also the worlds busiest airport. Perhaps their hospitality industry may still be workable, I am unsure though.
You know its funny I was never offered my old job back in San Antonio but here in Reno its seems like the hotel industry bounced back and is alive and kicking.A housekeeper here said she lives with two other people in an apartment so she is able to live quite comfortably.

I went to El Paso briefly but it also seems like its up and running as far as hotel occupancy is concerned so ill most likely move to Houston and try to gain employment there,well first try and get a place to land,then apply for work.

Old 10-20-2021, 04:23 AM

9,854 posts, read 13,725,132 times
You’ll want to go somewhere with a solid homelessness services network.go to the United way’s website and search for “homeless services,” and speak to the non-profits on the list about job placement programs and case management. Most cities in Texas have what is called a “coordinated assessment” that can be completed when you are “literally homeless” as defined by HUD, which means you’re sleeping on the streets or in a shelter. There’s are other supports out there, but this assessment throws you into the housing program wait list for shelter and rapid rehousing. Austin’s system is broken. Despite what people “in” the system or who know Austin will say yo come here because of our services, but, as someone who touches people in that system, it’s broken. Pop over to the Austin forum to read about it.

Good luck.

Old 10-20-2021, 06:48 AM

18,139 posts, read 25,330,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLastVigilante View Post
I wont bore you with the details of why im on my way to homelessness (if youre wondering its not because of drugs or alcohol) but there were a lot of moving pieces that "moved" quite rapidly and i had to burn a lot of bridges in my ex-hometown and not really sure what my next step in life should be.Here is some background info,im currently on the West Coast but im originally from Texas and will be moving back there quite soon.Its simply just not affordable out west.At any rate does anybody know some place or places that i can "start all over again"?I was thinking Houston,TX but that city can get a little crazy.Im leaving San Antonio out because thats where i burned a lot of bridges.I tried Amarillo and i didnt fit in that town.Any advice?
Good luck and may God bless you and help you at this moment of struggle

I don't know your situation, but if I were to be homeless I would try to move to a small town where housing is more affordable
In my opinion, you also get more help/empathy from people in small towns than you will get in a city
When choosing that town, I would keep in mind that I'm not going to be there forever and will want to move to a bigger city at some point for better opportunities.

If I was from Texas, I would move somewhere in the College Station area
that would make it easier in the future to find opportunities in the big cities.

Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas