Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2022, 09:08 AM

340 posts, read 266,864 times

Advertisements

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bus...y-17295889.php

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of worrying about whether the power will stay on every winter and summer. I'm going to remember this when I vote in November.

After last year's power outage, Uvalde, Odessa running out of water, and the disastrous COVID response, this could be the thing that finally sinks Abbott.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2022, 09:15 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post

I don't know about anyone else, but I'm tired of worrying about whether the power will stay on every winter and summer. I'm going to remember this when I vote in November.

After last year's power outage, Uvalde, Odessa running out of water, and the disastrous COVID response, this could be the thing that finally sinks Abbott.
Abbott has an R next to his name, the major urban areas arent yet ahead in of exurbs, small cities, and rural areas in population and the guy running against him campaigned on gun control when he was running for president. This wont sink Abbott though I wish it would and I share your frustration about the power issues.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:27 AM

1,051 posts, read 574,172 times
I just want to quote Beto this morning:

“We can’t rely on the grid when it’s hot.

We can’t rely on the grid when it’s cold.

We can’t rely on Greg Abbott. It’s time to vote him out and fix the grid.”

Sounds like a Dr. Suess poem.

For such a powerful, wealthy state, supposedly the ““the energy capital of the world” yet this keeps happening.

If Texans keep voting Abbott, it’s on them.

The global warming is here and it’s real, unless you don’t believe it. (Oh wait, I forgot, many DON’T believe in global warming.)

I’ll vote for anyone who is NOT Greg Abbott.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:38 AM

1,952 posts, read 829,742 times
I am pretty sure, replacing R's with D's is not going to solve this or other problems this state faces.

We need total reform in our current 2 party duopoly.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Abbott has an R next to his name, the major urban areas arent yet ahead in of exurbs, small cities, and rural areas in population and the guy running against him campaigned on gun control when he was running for president. This wont sink Abbott though I wish it would and I share your frustration about the power issues.
He won’t get nominated by GOP for 2024. As much as I loathe DeSantis, he has a much national recognition (for the Covid denial and making FL the go-to place for people who “escaped for freedom” during pandemic.) and a cult following. Abbott wished he were DeSantis, both are charisma-free, it pains me to say but Trump does have charisma.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raider Scott View Post
I am pretty sure, replacing R's with D's is not going to solve this or other problems this state faces.

We need total reform in our current 2 party duopoly.
Yes we can wait for your solution, while waiting in the dark in the power outage.

D isn’t perfect, especially the far D, but I’ll take anyone who’s not far R, capital R.

Old 07-11-2022, 09:52 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,054,966 times
Beto will fix it. He will take your AC's away !

Old 07-11-2022, 09:59 AM

1,514 posts, read 1,794,676 times
The idea that the power grid cares who sits behind the governor's desk, at least in the short term, is comical.

Electricity prices are up because of global market forces (specifically, natural gas prices). Grid reliability is questionable due to the age of the infrastructure. Demand is high because of high temperatures and the booming economy + industrial growth in Texas (I mean, I guess you could "blame" that factor on state politics).

Upgrading the grid will be a 20+ year effort, and the costs will be borne by the customers. Reliability improvements are welcomed, but costs and benefits need to be balanced. On a block-by-block level, some improvements would be so disruptive that residents would fight them even if they were free (ie digging up mature trees and landscaping to bury the power lines).

On a personal note, I'd rather keep a generator for the one time every 5 years that the power goes out for an extended period than pay an extra 5-10 cents/kWH for reliability improvements that *may* yield benefits in the next few decades.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:10 AM

19,799 posts, read 18,099,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CastletonSnob1 View Post

1. The state bound grid and ERCOT both originated and came into modern form under more or less 100% democratic leadership. The grid in the 1930s and '40s....ERCOT in the 1970s.

2. People on the left, heck everyone, should be celebrating that we are moving so quickly to more solar. While decreasing coal as a fuel.

3. The fact is we are making an incredibly fast transition from mostly coal and gas to more or less very little coal, gas and wind and solar. FWIIW the pain point this afternoon is wind which will produce at about 10% capacity.

But the fact is emotional people are going get by on emotion.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwarnecke View Post
The idea that the power grid cares who sits behind the governor's desk, at least in the short term, is comical.

Electricity prices are up because of global market forces (specifically, natural gas prices). Grid reliability is questionable due to the age of the infrastructure. Demand is high because of high temperatures and the booming economy + industrial growth in Texas (I mean, I guess you could "blame" that factor on state politics).

Upgrading the grid will be a 20+ year effort, and the costs will be borne by the customers. Reliability improvements are welcomed, but costs and benefits need to be balanced. On a block-by-block level, some improvements would be so disruptive that residents would fight them even if they were free (ie digging up mature trees and landscaping to bury the power lines).

On a personal note, I'd rather keep a generator for the one time every 5 years that the power goes out for an extended period than pay an extra 5-10 cents/kWH for reliability improvements that *may* yield benefits in the next few decades.
Apparently a “comical” question: why did Texas not join the national grid?

Anything to do with the “booming economy” that thanks to the outstanding state politics?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas