Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2023, 09:34 PM

285 posts, read 134,334 times

Advertisements

Turtle Creek looks better????
I Challenge that. It is an opinion but Allen Parkway and the Park itself just shines more. With The Allen and Hanover Autry Park plus The Aga Khan Center and Buffalo Bayou Park is just better. I'll have to call you on this one. Plus Allen Parkway leads tight into River Oaks.

What have you got to compare yo Post Oak Blvd?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
Who is saying that? Cuz some of that I'm scratching my head at. But the corridor from Preston Hollow to Downtown is pretty nice IMO. I have never heard people say it is exactly like those places, but Highland Park is Dallas' Beverly Hills. Those towns were designed by the same person. I am sure Houstonians would say that River Oaks is Houston's version.

Not gonna lie, I like driving down Turtle Creek Blvd. It's a nice landscaped parkway in core of Dallas with condo/apt/office tower overlooking it. Allen Pkwy in Houston is cool but Turtle Creek Blvd looks better. Same concept too with both being adjacent to a waterway and park. I think Allen Parkway looks more like a freeway with the grade separations and frontage roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2023, 09:55 PM

4,453 posts, read 6,342,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
Turtle Creek looks better????
I Challenge that. It is an opinion but Allen Parkway and the Park itself just shines more. With The Allen and Hanover Autry Park plus The Aga Khan Center and Buffalo Bayou Park is just better. I'll have to call you on this one. Plus Allen Parkway leads tight into River Oaks.

What have you got to compare yo Post Oak Blvd?
eh... the main thoroughfare feels like a scaled down highway. I like the tree cover and varied architecture along Turtle Creek more as well.

Old 07-15-2023, 10:01 PM

Default It's Allen Parkway

Yes its a Parkway. Not a street . But it is a very beautiful Urban scenic drive. What about Post Oak Blvd. Have you seen that one Lately after all the Upgrades?

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
eh... the main thoroughfare feels like a scaled down highway. I like the tree cover and varied architecture along Turtle Creek more as well.

Old 07-16-2023, 07:41 AM

908 posts, read 495,017 times
Quote:
The scenery along Allen Pkwy is better imo.

Old 07-16-2023, 08:55 AM

1,775 posts, read 1,062,369 times
Quote:
Allen Parkway by itself is not that wide. You may be looking at it alongside Memorial Drive. Memorial runs north of the bayou while Allen Parkway runs south. Allen Parkway turns into Kirby Drive west of Shepherd, going right through the middle of River Oaks.

Many wanted Minute Maid Park to be built on Allen Parkway for the spectacular views of downtown. I googled Turtle Creek and didn’t find any images that would rival Allen Parkway. Please post them…no videos please…

Old 07-16-2023, 09:07 AM

10,046 posts, read 6,745,029 times
The thing that makes Allen Pkwy and Memorial Dr great is that it’s a route from two important focal points in the city. The Downtown and uptown region as well as the neighborhoods in between. Turtle Creek is beautiful but it’s route isn’t as important.

Old 07-16-2023, 09:47 AM

Default Allen Parkway

Allen Parkway has the angeled in parking for the park along the side. Plus it has the slope of the bank of the Bayou . Compared to Turtle Creek you can see the difference with Houston having a more lush landscape. It is absolutely beautiful. I drive it just to take the scenic route and that Buffalo Bayou park is outstanding. BTW, if you continue on Kirby through River Oaks to Upper Kirby it creates like a 5 mile Scenic Urban Drive and is probably the best Urban drive in Texas especially if you continue on Westheimer to Post Oak. This wiuld create a very impressive view of the city.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:15 AM

4,343 posts, read 2,851,628 times
1552 Allen Pkwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zTBmzuHmsjuNhGsw8

2630 Turtle Creek Blvd
https://maps.app.goo.gl/zrgGFWH4U11EhX198

I'm gonna have to agree that Allen Parkway is better landscaped.
I think the way the Dallas posters sometimes write things kinda makes it seem like the same can't be found in Houston.
God forbid anything looking nice in Houston, because the Dallas mantra is that it is ugly.

Allen Parkway has come such a long way and it has so much more in store. The major arterial streets through the loop are developing nicely. DFW has a ton of nice developments throughout the metro, and I think the metrowide developments surpasses Metro Houston, but core for core I think Houston is running loops around Dallas. Had the Republicans not crippled Metros growth for decades I think it wouldn't even be a contest.

Dallas's Core transition to mainly single family homes in the blink of an eye. Houston's corridors extend a lot of amenities for miles out and support more people for a longer distance. I am not sure if you guy realize how small ( physically) the neighborhoods surrounding Downtown Dallas are.

It is exponentially harder to beautify an area 5 miles in each direction than an area 1 mile in each direction. While Dallas's focus has mainly been to the north, Houston has been tackling north, south, east, west and areas in-between.

Give it time.

Market Square was a homeless camp. Look at it now.
GRB area was just a sea of parking. Look at it now.
Remember going to Enron Field? Look at MMP now.
Bagby/Brazos area through Midtown developed nicely after the street upgrades, I am sure the Caroline/Austin area is going to be the same.
I remember cowfields lining Almeda. Look at it now.
Allen Parkway, Memorial, North Main, Fulton, Harrisburg, Navigation...

Houston and Dallas are very similar in the grand scheme of things, but also very different. In my opinion Houston is the stronger city. It will be very evident once things are tied to each other.

Conversely, DFW has a stronger freeway network. It has a much stronger cast of supporting cities that make the area as a whole feel stronger on paper.

I agree with Para. The set up of Houston’s core allows for more important arterial ways, while the set up of DFW makes for more freeways that are important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by run forest run View Post
Right, the growth trends do change but DFW has remained larger than Houston for decades now and is currently growing faster.

Anything could happen but with the way our world is changing it does look like North Texas is more set for the long term future. Better infrastructure, centralized location, more diverse economy etc.
Houston pop 2000= 4,177,646
DFW pop 2000= 5,221,801
Difference = 1,044,155

Houston pop 2010= 5,920,416
DFW pop 2010= 6,426,214
Difference = 505,798

Houston pop 2020= 7,122,240
DFW pop 2020 = 7,637,387
Difference = 515,147

Doesn't follow the narrative that DFW is pulling away from Houston like you say.
Like I said it fluctuates. Yes DFW has stayed ahead. But Houston always narrows down the edge when it booms again.

Last edited by atadytic19; 07-16-2023 at 10:27 AM..

Old 07-16-2023, 10:15 AM

4,398 posts, read 4,662,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darkeman41 View Post
Come on Redlionjr...everyone already KNOWS you live in Houston, but it's also pretty well-known that you DO NOT want to be here. The (supposed) subtle shots you take at Houston anytime threads like this come up clearly tell us that you prefer Dallas. Which is not what bothers me...everyone is certainly entitled to how they feel. There are plenty of things I like about Dallas over Houston, and wouldn't hesitate to say so. What bothers me are the over-dramatizations of how Dallas is so much better in areas that really aren't, or only pitifully fractionally so (like the damn weather). It's sad and pathetic.

You REALLY gonna use corp relocations as the reason the Big D is so important? When everyone KNOWS it's because Texas land and taxes are a million times cheaper than wherever those companies are moving from, and DFW is more ideal than anywhere else in Texas because it's closer to everywhere else in the nation than the other Texas cities? Oh...you thought those corps chose Dallas simply because it's...DALLAS? Oh...okay

I never said Dallas is irrelevant...I simply said that COMPARED TO HOUSTON, anyone with a logical mind would conclude that the Bayou City is the more IMPORTANT of the two IN TEXAS. Yea, neither city is a London or New York. I get that. But in TEXAS, I'd deem Houston as more important based on some of the reasons I named. And all I'm asking is that SOMEONE name something in Dallas that's more important than Energy, Medicine, and Space. Because all I can think of is the show and the NFL team. And if you think that's more important, then hey...more power to you. Everything you named is related to entertainment. Just as I thought.
1) It's not that I prefer Dallas over Houston it's just Houston for all it's pros and it has pros but those CONS on the other hand make it harder to live in FOR ME. And if I think DFW does some things better than Greater Houston so what? You said there's plenty of things Dallas does that you like more than Houston yet when I do it oh it's something more to it? It's cool when you do it it's a problem when I do it huh? And never did I say DFW is SO MUCH better than Houston. IMO, they're both damn near on equal footing for overall experience for me. But Houstonians are so sensitive and insecure about any little criticism aimed at Houston that any little credit you give to Dallas is looked at as a threat. LOL

2) Greater Houston is in the same state as DFW yet DFW has more corporate relocations. You damn right I'm going to use those corporate relocations as an example of DFW's relevancy. And of course corporations choose cities due to a number of factors DUH. It's never solely because a corporation just loves the city for being itself. You think the Medical, space, energy and O&G industry chose Houston because they're in love with the city? Hell NO, just like DFW or any other city in the nation it's all based on a set of circumstances more so than simply loving a city. Had Spindletop never happened in Beaumont you think the nearest biggest city (Houston) would be a powerhouse in O&G now? Nope, but Houston benefitted from Spindletop due it's location.

I already stated Houston is more important when speaking from the perspective of industry powerhouses. What more do you want from me? You want me to kiss Houston's dirty dingy feet? Nah, but hey I'll let you do your thing and go back to bragging about retractable roofs and the Rockets winning championships from over 20 years ago. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
Also, local and state government, up to Abbott himself aid in DFW attracting relocations.

But yeah, you right, the shots are not so subtle. The attempts to be balanced were weak. Posting clear strengths for one and trying to make flitting things like relos a thing for the other
From about 2005-2015 when Houston was killing it on relocations, I bet you if it was a Houstonian that used that as an example he would be ridiculing it up and down.

Relocations stimulate the economy, they are a plus, but sometimes Houston gets more, sometimes DFW gets more. There is nothing special about being on top for relocations because it is not permanent. In 2 years San Antonio might be getting the most relocations
Had I gave all strengths to Houston you wouldn't be up here crying about my opinions on Houston now would you?

And back in 2005-2015 I was way more pro Houston than Dallas so you wouldn't see me ridicule Houston at all. That's changed buddy. And we're not talking about the past. That's yall problem yall too stuck in the past to give Houston some sort of win over DFW. We're talking about now. It's 2023 my dude.

I've never been in a city with such a bunch of fragile egos. You would think I was actually insulting Houstonians in general. My complaints about Houston are mostly targeted towards development, local government, O&G influence and the infrastructure mostly outside the 610 loop where most Houstonians live in. The culture and the people is actually one of the things I love about the city. But again so many Houstonians are overly sensitive and insecure that they can't help but to get offended.

Example:
Me: Hey Houston needs to improve on being more walkable
Some Houstonians: WHAT!? It's too hot and humid to walk in the city that's what TUNNELS are made for. *aggressive tone*

Me: Man the traffic is horrible here!
Some Houstonians: You think our traffic is bad how about driving in that ****hole Dallas! Why don't you move!

I get the insecurities though. 4th largest city right behind New York/LA and Chicago yet don't get the same respect or recognition like your peers. I get the foolish pride. Don't like it but I understand it.

Old 07-16-2023, 10:23 AM

10,046 posts, read 6,745,029 times
Redlion vs SpaceCityTx is suddenly easier to laugh at than Dallasboi vs spacecitytx
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas