Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2023, 07:51 AM

67,650 posts, read 61,055,961 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
It may be due to a lack of historical value. I remember learning about the Boston Tea Party, The Paul Revere ride, Going to Ellis Island and checking out the Statue if Liberty or Times Square, Chicago with its Mob history, the Chicago fire and AL Capone. Baltimore with Fort McHenry, DC with endless history, Philadelphia with Independance Hall and the Liberty Bell. SaN Fran with the Golden Gate Bridge and the Gold Rush us Fisherman's Warf and Ghirardelli Square. Seattle with Alaskan Way and The Space Needle, LA has Hollywood. Heck even Nashville and Memphis have more history..San Antonio has The Alamo. New Orleans has The French Quarter and the War of 1812.
Places like Dallas, Houston and others really don't have any iconic, significance historically. Couple that with having no notable natural features like mountains or beaches rough weather. You cant build history or add natural features.
Most Americans would have to scratch their heads if you ask them about the 2. Yes, you can get a job there, it's cheaper than California, they are big cities and have a lot of mann made stuff to do. Yes I know JFK was shot I'm Dallas and Texas was won at San Jacinto. But most Americans don't care a lot about that.
Hey, remember the Alamo.

Also, go to the Stockyards in Fort Worth. Do the museum thing while you're at it. Visit Sundance Square.

Texas has a lot to be proud of. Oh, by the way, the history goes as far back as any other history anywhere - it's just not white, ango saxon history.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2023, 08:05 AM

4,344 posts, read 2,823,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I didn't even read all your post. LOL
You didn't miss anything important

Old 07-13-2023, 09:19 AM

23 posts, read 5,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Hey, remember the Alamo.

Also, go to the Stockyards in Fort Worth. Do the museum thing while you're at it. Visit Sundance Square.

Texas has a lot to be proud of. Oh, by the way, the history goes as far back as any other history anywhere - it's just not white, ango saxon history.

That's the one

Old 07-13-2023, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atadytic19 View Post
You didn't miss anything important

At ALL!!

Old 07-13-2023, 06:40 PM

4,393 posts, read 4,636,648 times
When people start talking about consultants, retractable roofs, malls in vogue magazine and god knows what else it’s obvious this “debate” has run its course.

I promise you nobody cares about having the first dome stadium in the world while they’re stuck in 610 traffic. Or that this is the energy capital of the world when they experience a power outage at the slightest gush of wind.

I don’t know any 2 similar size metros that share a state with one another that have more in common with one another than Houston and DFW. There are differences between both but I don’t think enough to justify the rivalry to this level. Matter fact Austin and San Antonio are more distinctly different from one another than Houston and DFW yet their rivalry isn’t as strong.

Both metros have foolish pride which isn’t solely a fault of their own. Texans in general are overly prideful so its 2 biggest metros are just an extension of that pride.

In reality, both metro are growing and both have their pros and cons. Being honest, I’d say DFW is benefiting more from the growth and receiving more attention than Houston is in this past decade. Houstonians can deny it if they want to but it’s true. It doesn’t take a genius to see that transplants are choosing DFW and Austin over Houston at this point. Houston still has momentum it’s just more people are choosing to flock to DFW.

With that said as far as what both metros offer overall to the average person I don’t think they’re far off from one another.

Houston imo wins in city core culture (610 loop imo wins in this department hands down)
DFW imo wins in overall metro area ( While 610 loop imo is more culturally my vibe, the core of Dallas has a lot going for itself and has vastly improved since the days I would frequent Dallas from Waco every other weekend back in the early 00’s. So Dallas core plus having more competent and better suburbs along w/ Fort Worth it just offers more quality overall than Houston)

DFW wins in the economy department
DFW wins in safety
DFW wins in traffic
Hou wins in cuisine
Hou wins in diversity
DFW wins in thrills and entertainment
Hou wins in art and cultural experience
DFW wins for quality of life
Hou wins in a variety of options outside the city limits thanks to Galveston to the east and the Piney Woods to the North.

Take this how you wanna

Old 07-13-2023, 07:03 PM

6,717 posts, read 9,966,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post
When people start talking about consultants, retractable roofs, malls in vogue magazine and god knows what else it’s obvious this “debate” has run its course.

I promise you nobody cares about having the first dome stadium in the world while they’re stuck in 610 traffic. Or that this is the energy capital of the world when they experience a power outage at the slightest gush of wind.

I don’t know any 2 similar size metros that share a state with one another that have more in common with one another than Houston and DFW. There are differences between both but I don’t think enough to justify the rivalry to this level. Matter fact Austin and San Antonio are more distinctly different from one another than Houston and DFW yet their rivalry isn’t as strong.

Both metros have foolish pride which isn’t solely a fault of their own. Texans in general are overly prideful so its 2 biggest metros are just an extension of that pride.

In reality, both metro are growing and both have their pros and cons. Being honest, I’d say DFW is benefiting more from the growth and receiving more attention than Houston is in this past decade. Houstonians can deny it if they want to but it’s true. It doesn’t take a genius to see that transplants are choosing DFW and Austin over Houston at this point. Houston still has momentum it’s just more people are choosing to flock to DFW.

With that said as far as what both metros offer overall to the average person I don’t think they’re far off from one another.

Houston imo wins in city core culture (610 loop imo wins in this department hands down)
DFW imo wins in overall metro area ( While 610 loop imo is more culturally my vibe, the core of Dallas has a lot going for itself and has vastly improved since the days I would frequent Dallas from Waco every other weekend back in the early 00’s. So Dallas core plus having more competent and better suburbs along w/ Fort Worth it just offers more quality overall than Houston)

DFW wins in safety
DFW wins in traffic
Hou wins in cuisine
Hou wins in diversity
Hou wins in a variety of options outside the city limits thanks to Galveston to the east and the Piney Woods to the North.

Take this how you wanna
Agreed, my response was simply meant for entrainment purposes. I can't speak for everyone else lol

Old 07-13-2023, 09:01 PM

281 posts, read 126,643 times
Default Pretty even

I think the 2 places are pretty even overall. My problem is the propaganda and rhetoric that Dallas folk spread. They spread memes, an attitude of hate and propaganda that slanders Houston. It's ignorant and they brainwash everyone up there to think that Houston is an icky, yucky, trashy hellhole that's over ran with minorities. They'll sneer at you and say "Houston.. eeeew, no way !!! Their Newspapers, commercials, magazines and especially the snobby narrow minded bigots up there who think the"re better. Then there's the Boomhauer racist pigs who
Spread rhetoric that Houston I's "Dirty"
DO YOU TALK ABOUT PEOPLES MOTHER LIKE THIS!!!
The Dallas folks do not show mutual respect and that's why there is a problem. So that's why I'm calling them out WWE Smackdown style. They think there bad and they put Houston down so bring it on.Yall ain't got nothing on this place.

Last edited by Texas100; 07-13-2023 at 09:15 PM..

Old 07-13-2023, 10:47 PM

407 posts, read 343,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas100 View Post
I think the 2 places are pretty even overall. My problem is the propaganda and rhetoric that Dallas folk spread. They spread memes, an attitude of hate and propaganda that slanders Houston. It's ignorant and they brainwash everyone up there to think that Houston is an icky, yucky, trashy hellhole that's over ran with minorities. They'll sneer at you and say "Houston.. eeeew, no way !!! Their Newspapers, commercials, magazines and especially the snobby narrow minded bigots up there who think the"re better. Then there's the Boomhauer racist pigs who
Spread rhetoric that Houston I's "Dirty"
DO YOU TALK ABOUT PEOPLES MOTHER LIKE THIS!!!
The Dallas folks do not show mutual respect and that's why there is a problem. So that's why I'm calling them out WWE Smackdown style. They think there bad and they put Houston down so bring it on.Yall ain't got nothing on this place.
I agree. I lived in the Dallas area for over 3 years and hated how racist and snobby everyone there is. I visited Houston once and liked it better.

Old 07-14-2023, 04:38 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,463,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
No I was not wrong. You were. As you usually are. There aren't 40+ consulates in Dallas. I don't care if Texas100 (also erroneously) said that there were 90+ in Houston. There's not. It's a fake number. Just like the idea of 40+ in Dallas. A phone number does not equal a functioning consulate or embassy. Its just a phone number to allow people in a particular area to get access to consular services faster.

Its not petty to demand accuracy. You don't care about accuracy, and then you use the weak excuse of trying to blame another poster's inaccuracy for the fact that you just parrot more inaccuracies. Life advice bro - if you do something wrong, don't KEEP doing it wrong - understand where you could improve and get better. You're a joke, because you just say things that are provably wrong and easy to disprove in the service of shameless cheerleading. It is why many don't take you seriously. And they shouldn't, when you just say things that have very little basis in reality.

To be 100% fair there are plenty of Houston posters that do the same thing, but none of them do so to the extent you do. You are the prototypical sunshine pumper within the Texas C-D space. I'm sure you take that as a point of pride.

If Dallas has all of these consulates on that list, please find the physical location of the Iceland consulate, or the Romania consulate in DFW. They don't exist - a phone number does not a consulate make.

What I said still stands - Houston is the international center of the state and will remain so for the foreseeable future, regardless of how many fake consulates DFW wants to claim. You should get over this. Its not my fault I call out BS when I see it.
... Nope!!!!....You and everyone else know what I'm talking about. You said I wouldn't have mentioned foreign consulates if I didn't already think Dallas was superior in that area...... Insinuating that I was bragging fluffing Dallas up.

It made you so mad You threw up all over your keyboard because you knew Houston had way more and you thought I didn't know that and was talking out of my ass.

Now you're trying to redirect the focus of what you actually said.......to save face!!!

........ OWN IT!!!......So your friends won't lose respect for you and your ignorant ways.

I never try to slander someone's character and speak for the masses.

Oh and go quote all the wrong stuff I posted. ....it shouldn't be hard since you say I never tell the truth about anything...(B.A.N) would go here if we were in person.

Old 07-14-2023, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlionjr View Post

DFW wins in safety
DFW wins in traffic
Hou wins in cuisine
Hou wins in diversity

Take this how you wanna

Lol...you missed the ENTIRE point, but I digress.

Fact remains...NOT ONE OF YOU DALLAS BOOSTERS CAN SHOW ME WHY AND HOW DALLAS CONQUERS HOUSTON IN IMPORTANCE. I've named (a million times) how Houston is the more important city of the two...and you keep telling me about all of the people moving to DFW. That makes absolutely no sense, because there are droves of people moving away from San Francisco and New York...yet you certainly wouldn't consider Dallas more important than either of those two cities.

So I'll ask one more time and then I'm truly done with it...how is a city known only for a football team and an 80's tv soap opera more important than a city who commands NASA's space shuttles, is world-renowned for it's enormous medical complex (biggest in the WORLD, lest you forget), and is LITERALLY the energy capital OF THE WORLD??

Because it's shinier and it's downtown buildings has lights on it at night???

Last edited by darkeman41; 07-14-2023 at 07:20 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas