Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 06:30 AM

1 posts, read 1,501 times

Advertisements

I have to make a decission today or t'morrow!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
About me
I have 2 kids (5,1) and i've stayed in Michigan for 6yrs!

I have a preference for seattle coz my brother and his wife are there. Along with some frens! Houston..... I dunno anyone! Never been that side! One thing that's making it hard to decide is that my husband is not going to be around much due to his new job description..... How convenient is it going to be without his help!

Can anyone tell me a little abt good elementry education around here!!!

Something that i definitely want to stay away from is the cold! How long does the winter last here and how bad can it go?

HElP
HELP
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2008, 08:03 AM

1,507 posts, read 3,412,165 times
Smile Houston vs Seattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mumoftwo View Post
I have to make a decission today or t'morrow!!! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
About me
I have 2 kids (5,1) and i've stayed in Michigan for 6yrs!

I have a preference for seattle coz my brother and his wife are there. Along with some frens! Houston..... I dunno anyone! Never been that side! One thing that's making it hard to decide is that my husband is not going to be around much due to his new job description..... How convenient is it going to be without his help!

Can anyone tell me a little abt good elementry education around here!!!

Something that i definitely want to stay away from is the cold! How long does the winter last here and how bad can it go?

HElP
HELP
If you don't want to be in the cold then that alone rules out Seattle. Seattle is a cold, cloudy and drizzling, rainy place most of the time. I lived there for 17 years and got out because of the weather, I remember in July having to put a coat on in the morning and being able to see my breath.

Seattle is also very expensive right now, a lot more expensive than Houston. Other than that Seattle is a great place and much more asthetic than Houston. If you like to drink coffee in the cold and watch the mountains and water while living in a cosmopolitan city then Seattle is for you.

Houston has more to do than Seattle and is a much larger city and much more cosmopolitan. Oh, and far less expensive.

Old 05-31-2008, 09:29 AM

Location: from houstoner to bostoner to new yorker to new jerseyite ;)
4,084 posts, read 12,683,905 times
That's tricky because you're a single mom. What will you be doing for work? I'd go where I already had relatives and friends because having a support system is key. However, Houston is a fairly easy city to get to know people. Seattle I've heard mixed things on in this regard. Houston has pretty parts, but Seattle is definitely more beautiful overall, while Houston is definitely more affordable, but I wouldn't move here just for that if I were in your shoes. I'd say the weather is a wash; both cities have their pluses and minuses. I'd think both areas would have good schools, so that would probably be a wash, too. Why are you thinking Cypress in particular? Houston is large and sprawling, which can be intimidating to newcomers. You really have to break it down into smaller chunks to get to know it well, and that can take a while. Seattle is more compact and there are more outdoorsy things to do there. I'd advise you to read the forums here to gain a little insight into the culture of each place, but you don't seem to have the time for that. And really, that being the case, I wouldn't advise moving here sight unseen (have you visited Houston?) without knowing anyone. Good luck!

Old 05-31-2008, 10:47 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
That's tricky because you're a single mom. What will you be doing for work? I'd go where I already had relatives and friends because having a support system is key. However, Houston is a fairly easy city to get to know people. Seattle I've heard mixed things on in this regard. Houston has pretty parts, but Seattle is definitely more beautiful overall, while Houston is definitely more affordable, but I wouldn't move here just for that if I were in your shoes. I'd say the weather is a wash; both cities have their pluses and minuses. I'd think both areas would have good schools, so that would probably be a wash, too. Why are you thinking Cypress in particular? Houston is large and sprawling, which can be intimidating to newcomers. You really have to break it down into smaller chunks to get to know it well, and that can take a while. Seattle is more compact and there are more outdoorsy things to do there. I'd advise you to read the forums here to gain a little insight into the culture of each place, but you don't seem to have the time for that. And really, that being the case, I wouldn't advise moving here sight unseen (have you visited Houston?) without knowing anyone. Good luck!
I agree Seattle very beautiful but the weather is yucky. I spent many summers there.
Houston is HOT..my son lives there now but I prefere it to Seattle.
I agree she needs to visit both places.

She didn't say she was a single mom....her husband just isn't around much because of his job.

Old 05-31-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
She didn't say she was a single mom....her husband just isn't around much because of his job.
Ah, that is so. I kept seeing "me" this and "I" that, so that threw me off.

mumoftwo
, Houston gets about three weeks of "winter" and I use that term loosely. We don't really have winter here. If you could add more details about you guys' background and what you like to do, that may help further narrow things down.

Old 05-31-2008, 11:51 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,017 times
I agree with houstonian, having a support system is key. Me personally, i've found it to be a lot of work moving to a place where you know no one and having to meet new people. You can't trust just anyone who acts like they want to be your friend, especially in a large city.

The only thing i disagree with is saying that houston only has 3 weeks of winter weather. It doesn't really snow here but we do get chilly here from november through february. It's not always chilly during that period but the days that it's not, it's very pleasant and cool.

Seattle may have better urbanization for now but Houston is trying to catch up. All the new things going downtown, Midtown, Uptown/Galleria, and Upper Kirby, i'd say Houston is sprucing up rather quickly. The only thing is the long debate as far as mass transit goes is far from over and hasn't really got moving forward yet. Now Cypress is a rather new area and is growing very fast.

I've never been to Seattle so i can't really speak but from what i've heard from Seattle residents is it doesn't even get 100 days of sunshine a year. That can get rather depressing. The trade off is that it has alot of amendities and fun things to do with a beach right outside of its downtown.

I'd would say visit both areas if you had more time but you can go thehaif.com for info on Houston and visitseattle.com for better info than what i can give you.

Old 06-01-2008, 12:42 AM

4,391 posts, read 9,484,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houstoner View Post
Ah, that is so. I kept seeing "me" this and "I" that, so that threw me off.

mumoftwo, Houston gets about three weeks of "winter" and I use that term loosely. We don't really have winter here. If you could add more details about you guys' background and what you like to do, that may help further narrow things down.

I know I thought at first she was single too till I reread it

My son lives in Houston...is it as humid as Corpus Christi or do you know. He told me Houston wasn't all that bad. I am not moving there or anything...just curious

Old 06-01-2008, 09:32 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,695,313 times
I don't know. It's pretty humid there. It MAY be a little less humid though, but not by much.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post
The only thing i disagree with is saying that houston only has 3 weeks of winter weather. It doesn't really snow here but we do get chilly here from november through february. It's not always chilly during that period but the days that it's not, it's very pleasant and cool.
That was a slight exaggeration, but she'd be coming from Michigan. I don't think our winters and their winters are in the same universe! She'd probably be wearing shorts and laughing at us while we're bundled up in parkas at 50 degrees.

Old 06-02-2008, 11:25 AM

663 posts, read 2,263,659 times
I say Seattle - doesn't matter what the weather is like anywhere, it's always better to be closer to family & friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
View detailed profiles of: