Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2023, 10:28 AM

450 posts, read 1,503,140 times

Advertisements

Wife has family in Houston/Lake Livingston area. But we don't want to be that far from my family in California. But we visited her family and just fell in with Texas and all it stands for.

I was talking to her relatives and highly recommended looking at the panhandle and Canyon came up. So I'm looking for advice from Texans. I promise I will not even try to Californicate Texas....

Thanks LeeB

Oh goodness I just did a search for ME and found a old thread about Canyon I started back in 2018.. Duh Lee... But here it is 6yrs later and I'm now in my mid 70's so forgive me cause I forgot what it did.... Old Age is catching me LoL

Last edited by LeeB; 06-29-2023 at 10:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2023, 10:47 AM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Canyon is a long drive from California. If you need easy access to that family, you'd be better off living closer to Houston/Lake Livingston and just flying when you need to see them. The drive from Canyon to Lake Livingston is over 9 hours, too.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Canyon is a long drive from California. If you need easy access to that family, you'd be better off living closer to Houston/Lake Livingston and just flying when you need to see them. The drive from Canyon to Lake Livingston is over 9 hours, too.
Thanks I know what your saying about the distance's. In our travels we have driven I-40 many times going back a forth from California to Tennessee.... A 9 hour drive to Lake Livingston is very doable. LeeB

Old 06-29-2023, 11:26 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Sorry, but Canyon to California isn't really that much different from Houston to California. If you need to get there fast, airplanes are the way.

Old 06-29-2023, 11:29 AM

4,511 posts, read 2,660,480 times
Sorry, but Canyon to California isn't really that much different from Houston to California. If you need to get there fast, airplanes are the way. If you really want to get west and live in Texas, think El Paso- but it's a hella long day drive to Houston.

Living in West Texas is not a meaningful "halfway point" between CA and Houston. You'd be better off to pick one or the other.

In addition, life in Houston (4th largest in the US, huge international city) and life in Canyon (pop. 15,000, on the high Plains) is very different. What you thought you liked so much about Houston, might not be present in Canyon.

Old 06-29-2023, 02:12 PM

2,282 posts, read 4,058,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbit33 View Post
Sorry, but Canyon to California isn't really that much different from Houston to California. If you need to get there fast, airplanes are the way. If you really want to get west and live in Texas, think El Paso- but it's a hella long day drive to Houston.

Living in West Texas is not a meaningful "halfway point" between CA and Houston. You'd be better off to pick one or the other.

In addition, life in Houston (4th largest in the US, huge international city) and life in Canyon (pop. 15,000, on the high Plains) is very different. What you thought you liked so much about Houston, might not be present in Canyon.
And what you DIDN'T like about Houston, might not be an issue in Canyon!

(I am a Houston-lover by the way....but there are folks that love them some Panhandle!)

Old 06-29-2023, 03:50 PM

Sever Weather, Humidity, Traffic, Crowds, in Houston metropolitan area ...... I am well aware of the location Canyon is at.

Sorry was not looking for lectures on the environment, (I can get that from the weather channel) I was just looking for thoughts on the town of Canyon in general.

Old 06-29-2023, 04:50 PM

15,525 posts, read 10,492,988 times
I like Canyon, you should go visit and see for yourself.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:22 PM

11,853 posts, read 26,861,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeB View Post
Sorry was not looking for lectures on the environment, (I can get that from the weather channel) I was just looking for thoughts on the town of Canyon in general.
I spent a night there when we were visiting Palo Duro Canyon. Yes, it has West Texas A&M University, which is a small, regional university. (My brother in law played college football for WTAMU.) It’s a nice little town, but there’s not much there. You’ll be going to Amarillo for any shopping beyond basics, and for most medical care. Yes, Amarillo has a regional airport, and is served by Southwest Airlines.

That 9 hour drive to Lake Livingston was the Google time, which doesn’t include any stops for meals, fuel, etc. Realistically, that’s a 10 hour drive, and even longer if you hit bad traffic along the way.

Speaking as someone with elderly parents, and someone who also lost both of my in-laws within the past year, you need to live closer to family. If you try to live far away, when you do eventually end up needing support, one of your family members will end up having to travel to help you. If that caregiver has a career, or a busy family, that becomes very difficult. Please keep that in mind…

Old 06-29-2023, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristieP View Post
Speaking as someone with elderly parents, and someone who also lost both of my in-laws within the past year, you need to live closer to family. If you try to live far away, when you do eventually end up needing support, one of your family members will end up having to travel to help you. If that caregiver has a career, or a busy family, that becomes very difficult. Please keep that in mind…
Funny but not funny you bring that up. Wife and I just today talked about that very thing and your right there would be no relative's close should the need arise. Could be just a pipe dream I'm having but it sure would be nice to get the heck out of California. I think I should put my traveling hat on and do that. That would be one way of getting out of California..... Thanks ChristieP for putting things into perspective

LeeB
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas