Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2008, 11:38 PM

28 posts, read 119,406 times

Advertisements

I moved here from Fort Worth about a year ago and its true about the service at reasturants and retail stores. Thats what you get with an unemployment rate of 2.7%. But I figure its worth it with the time I save not sitting in traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2008, 05:52 PM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatwilbotd View Post
I moved here from Fort Worth about a year ago and its true about the service at reasturants and retail stores. Thats what you get with an unemployment rate of 2.7%. But I figure its worth it with the time I save not sitting in traffic.
Thats interesting. A lot of locals now complain about the traffic. I try tell them how good we still have it compared to other cities.

Old 06-28-2008, 09:01 PM

384 posts, read 1,669,347 times
Default I don't know but

in the retail stores and restaurants, I don't think it is that the staff don't care, I personally think it's that every place is understaffed and people are doing double the workload. We got a burger from the drive through at Whataburger the other day and the girl working the window looked completely exhausted, the line of cars was really long behind me too but the wait wasn't really all that long. I just think many of the businesses are overwhelmed since they don't have the staff..........THe traffic? what traffic? At 5:00 you may get into a little backup exiting the Loop say at Midkiff, but that's what the side roads are for!! Midland really is a very pleasant place to live!

Pam

Old 06-29-2008, 08:48 AM

1,506 posts, read 4,279,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pammybear View Post
in the retail stores and restaurants, I don't think it is that the staff don't care, I personally think it's that every place is understaffed and people are doing double the workload. We got a burger from the drive through at Whataburger the other day and the girl working the window looked completely exhausted, the line of cars was really long behind me too but the wait wasn't really all that long. I just think many of the businesses are overwhelmed since they don't have the staff..........THe traffic? what traffic? At 5:00 you may get into a little backup exiting the Loop say at Midkiff, but that's what the side roads are for!! Midland really is a very pleasant place to live!

Pam
I agree. Recently I was at a restaurant in Odessa and the staff was obviously short handed when the entire kitchen staff quit. It was one of those restaurants with the windows so that you can see into the kitchen area. The cooks started cussing at the manager and just walked out. To the manager's credit he took over the cooking and did the best he could until more cooks could be called in. Later he came out and apologized to everyone. Our wait person was great through, so I tipped her more than normal. It is just crazy in restaurants right now.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:13 PM

3 posts, read 5,539 times
Been readin through this thread. I relocated to HellPaso about 6 years ago from a rural town in East Texas. I am looking at possibly relocating to Midland via job and have no clue what is there. We have alot of wind storms here, hardly any rain, no tornadoes, rare snow... what about Midland? Also one thing I really miss well, a few things.. Hunting? Fishing? 4Wheeling?.. oh and I saw a picture of trees?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:01 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EPguy View Post
Been reading through this thread. I relocated to Hell Paso about 6 years ago from a rural town in East Texas. I am looking at possibly relocating to Midland via job and have no clue what is there. We have a lot of wind storms here, hardly any rain, no tornadoes, rare snow... what about Midland? Also one thing I really miss well, a few things.. Hunting? Fishing? 4Wheeling?.. oh and I saw a picture of trees?
Well the weather is still West Texas weather except you get the occasional tornado warning!!! Hunting there is quail around, but deer you have to go south a couple of hours same with good lake fishing. Plenty of oil field sand for four wheeling thought.

Old 02-07-2009, 08:21 AM

3 posts, read 5,539 times
Any predator hunts..coyote,bobcat? Couple hours south for fishing, what is the nearest "fishing hole"? We used to get some tornado action in east texas every year from the gulf moisture fueling things, I don't miss that crap. Is that a normal thing for Midland being located in an open area like that?
Looking at apartments in the area right now trying to see what my options will be. Might actually get to Midland next week for a day or two so will give me a chance to look around anyways.
Hey thanks for the input, it's about the only way to research the area other than out dated statistics and demographic data on govt. web sites.

Last edited by EPguy; 02-07-2009 at 08:34 AM..

Old 02-07-2009, 05:35 PM

550 posts, read 1,549,903 times
Actual tornadoes I remember very few in Odessa & Midland. But you do always get the warnings in the spring when cold fronts collide with the warm fronts I was living in Seminole 60 miles to the north in '83 when we had a tornado rip through the town. Not fun!!!
The ranchers hate the coyotes and Prairie dogs they will generally let you hunt them if you get in good with one and respect his property.
Lake Spence is about 2 hours south east and San Angelo about 21/2 or 3 hours away and has a couple of good lakes.
Of course you know at least you won't have the East Texas humidity!!!

Old 10-30-2009, 01:09 PM

14 posts, read 43,635 times
Wow, what a boring, out of the way place. I thought Amarillo was bad..

I too was looking at considering a job transfer, but even the positive reviews of the area sound drab.

The restaurants, or lack thereof, there's a poorly reviewed Italian restaurant, Mexican restaurants, typical chain restaurants and such.

If I ever plan on the wife leaving me, I'll move to Midland to seal the deal..!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas