Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-09-2007, 03:43 PM

20 posts, read 118,189 times

Advertisements

Is that too far away for the Austin forum?
Is it a nice lake? Is it quiet or super-touristy?
Are the schools good enough to live there year-round?
Are they predicted to improve? (ex., new schools going up?)
I caught a glimpse of something about meth addiction being a problem out there, but then couldn't find any particular articles.
Anybody familiar with the area?
Whad'ya say locals? What's the inside scoop?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2007, 07:15 PM

122 posts, read 180,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tygr View Post
Is that too far away for the Austin forum?
Is it a nice lake? Is it quiet or super-touristy?
Are the schools good enough to live there year-round?
Are they predicted to improve? (ex., new schools going up?)
I caught a glimpse of something about meth addiction being a problem out there, but then couldn't find any particular articles.
Anybody familiar with the area?
Whad'ya say locals? What's the inside scoop?

Better off posting in San Antonio Fourm. Been their its nice but just played on the lake for a couple days. No boat docks so that is a downer.

Old 01-09-2007, 07:22 PM

20 posts, read 118,189 times
Ah, Rnelson!
Coming to my rescue once again.
Thanks!

Old 01-09-2007, 08:50 PM

15,268 posts, read 35,630,016 times
Personally, the no boat docks is a plus...keeps the boat traffic down and the lake nice and peaceful

Old 03-10-2009, 07:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,841 times
Canyon Lake is awesome. The schools are wonderful. We moved there from Houston a few years ago and are really pleased. We have two kids six and ten. The whole way of life is better for them. The south side of the lake does have some drug problems, but the north side is fine. Realistically of course there is always some problem with drugs, but The Woodlands (where we moved from) had a much worse problem with drugs in the schools that we encounter here. The only real problem is during the summer when tourists come to the river and forget people live there. This is mainly below the lake though and we don't deal with it too much, just sometimes you'll drive to the store and a few people are walking down the highway like its a bike path.

Old 03-10-2009, 11:56 PM

3,018 posts, read 3,566,216 times
Which side of the lake?

Cranes Mill was 'lake trash' city when I grew up there.

Personally I don't like the lake.

It's man made and the shore line only has a few sandy places where the danger is minimized of your next watery step not being into a ten foot hole
...or a nest of fishhooks or god knows what.

Old 03-11-2009, 11:41 AM

1,192 posts, read 3,482,755 times
There are actually boat docks, I believe they're on the S. side of the lake on that little peninsula that juts way out (might be a county or state park) into the lake. They rent ski-do's and boats as well if you're not towing your own.

BTW, I've never even seen any rowdy drunks there let alone meth-heads. Pretty quiet scene, maybe a couple of teenagers hopped up on beer or killer-weed at worst! Very pretty, too ... classic hill country semi-desert exposed limestone and mosquite scenery for a flatlander from Houston to get refreshed in. There are some nice condos (where I've stayed) and abundant 2cd home rentals (probably more than ever in this poor economy) at very reasonable prices. I've seen weekly rentals cheaper than Motel 6 in Houston rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas