Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2008, 12:00 AM

11,798 posts, read 25,181,738 times

Advertisements

tstone: NE TX tends to be kinda funky, but it hath its charms.

I hope you're keeping track of Ike. Looks like a bad scene.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2008, 12:30 AM

2 posts, read 4,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob102285 View Post
well, i've lived in carthage most of my life. I am now studying engineering at the University of Texas in Austin. It is an excellent town to retire to...actually there are several "celebrities" that have some form of home here, including Mike Tyson. I graduated from CHS with honors, got a full scholarship to panola college and transfered to UT. I must admit that while the town is booming right now, (we have had SEVERAL buildings and businesses come into town lately including a super-walmart), the school district has begun to seriously lack in performance. Its not exactly their fault though...

Carthage is actually one of the richest school districts in Texas because of all the natural gas in the area.

Texas passed the "robin-hood act" which takes from the richer districts and gives to the poorer districts...that means Carthage has to give away most of the money they bring in now.
I don't know where they are hiding the Super Wal-Mart and according to Mike Tyson's Bio he is from New York. Now George Forman is from down the road near Marshall.

Old 01-20-2009, 11:21 AM

1 posts, read 2,467 times
I moved to Carthage when I was younger from a city with over a million residents because extended family already lived in Carthage. Sure it was a big change, but after the initial shock I began to like Carthage. After high school I tried living in 2 major cities in Texas, thinking I would want to get back into big-city life. It was nice at first. All of the activity, nightlife, and people were entertaining, but soon those entertaining qualities turned to headaches. There were a million people around you, but getting to know even your neighbors just doesn't happen like it does in a small town. I moved back to Carthage and settled down, bought a house, and enjoyed the slower pace. The cost of living is low. A nice house in Houston is $150,000. A nice house in Carthage is $120,000 or less. I bought my house for under $80,000. Carthage is surrounded by Longview, Marshall, Shreveport, and Nacogdoches, so anything you would want to do is a short commute away ie. shopping, restaurants, nightlife, and just about any medical capabilities you might need. Lakes are plentiful, and one is only ten minutes away. You feel safe, and after a while you don't even worry if you forgot to lock your home while out. The phrase that comes up frequently is, "It's a great place to raise a family". Sure, it all depends upon what you are looking for. Fast paced life is not in Carthage. Slow paced, easy going, and mostly stress-free living is what you'll find.

(As of this writing, we have a regular Wal-Mart, but the land has been purchased for Super Wal-Mart construction. Tractor Supply, several new restaurants, several major hotel chains (including Holiday Inn & Best Western), and Junior College expansion have all happened recently. Oh, and I almost forgot about the new Texas Country Music Hall of Fame. We're going to have to expand the airport because of the last one. Maybe that's an exaggeration.)

Old 07-09-2009, 02:14 PM

17 posts, read 92,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ripley View Post
Not much there other than a junior college and a good youth baseball program. They do have a regular Wal-Mart.

Don't know any specifics, but I know people from Carthage who choose to drive the 40 miles or so to Longview for doctors and hospitals.

Natchitoches, La (pronounced Nak-uh-dish) would be your best bet.
My dad, God rest his soul, used to make us promise him that we'd drive him to a Longview hospital if he still had a breath in his body. I think he had a bad experience in his younger days. I would assume in this day and age that Panola General Hospital is probably just fine.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:06 AM

17 posts, read 92,433 times
I tried to edit one of my previous posts, but I was unable to do so.

Just wanted to say---I recently returned from a trip to Carthage. It had been awhile since I had been there, and I have to say---the town looks great. It has grown up quite a bit since the last time I was there. There seemed to be many new businesses and plenty of restaurants, the square is in good shape with many shops, and those great old houses just off the square (the ones that look like dollhouses to me) are still beautiful. One could certainly do worse that live in small town like Carthage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas