Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-29-2008, 09:16 AM

1 posts, read 5,762 times

Advertisements

Hi, there. I am looking to relocate my parents within 200 miles, no more than 300 miles in any direction but south of Beaumont, TX. They are in their 60s and would like a smaller town (however, within reasonable driving distance to a Wal-Mart or Super Target, mall, etc. preferable a Harbour Freight for my dad!). The town they live in now has a population of about 1500 people in a city in Arkansas. They were able to buy and pay cash for a 3-bed, 2 bath house 2 years ago where they are now for around $150,000 on 2 lots and would like something comparable (1 lot would be okay, preferably new construction or a lot to build on--I KNOW...THEY ARE PICKY--or at least a house no older than 5 years old) to be near me in Beaumont, Texas. They are really put off by the property taxes here in Beaumont and in Lumberton. I am just exhausted trying to figure out where to start looking. So, North, East or West (they would NOT be comfortable anywhere too close to Houston) or East (south would be too close to hurricane season for them, which is why they moved from Louisiana in the first place. Please help. They are miserable where they are right now and my children are missing their grandparents. Any help is appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2008, 09:52 AM

595 posts, read 2,721,716 times
Wow! You have a lot of requirements! If they think the property taxes are high in that area...don't sent them to the Hill Country. We don't have a state income tax...so therefore we have property tax. Maybe that will help them ease into it.

Old 06-29-2008, 10:14 AM

3,264 posts, read 5,628,678 times
Jasper! Jasper County taxes are pretty good. No Harbor Freight but there is a Lowes and a Super Wallyworld. Nice houses / properties on the outskirts of town and the lake 12 miles north of town. 80-90 minutes to Beaumont mostly divided 4 lane. I live in Woodville which is a town of 2400 with a Super WM but little else. Nice town with nice properties too

Tyler may have all your requirements but is 4 1/2 hours 200+ miles from Beaumont and I'm not that familiar with it. West of Beaumont it is 300 miles to San Antonio so north to Tyler and West to San Antone covers a lot of territory. I think you should lessen your distance some. Think where things may be in 10 years when their health begins to diminish .... make things easier for all and stay reasonably close!

Old 06-29-2008, 12:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Lumbertton is popular because it has low property taxes but then realively poor services as a result. They need to live in the country somewhere with no city taxes but then that means more driving distance to the stores really. Tyler area maybe their best bet. Antwhere souht of that has shown it will be effected by a hurricane like Rita and the piney woods can be a real problem with winds and trees falling.

Old 06-29-2008, 01:14 PM

3,028 posts, read 5,080,951 times
Yes, by all means - look just outside of Tyler, in smaller towns of Bullard, Whitehouse a nice house can be found for 150,000 Tyler has the most extensive medical center in East Texas even a level one truma center , actually two medical centers plus The University of Texas at Tyler Health Science Center - many retire here, love Tyler - the city property tax rate is the lowest in Texas of any town over 30,000 population and lower than most any city - city is debt free - Pines, Oaks, Azalea Trails in the Spring Roses much of the season - clean - Tyler is no more than 4 hours from Beaumont right up highway 69 - 200 miles north - fours season but little snow - your should try it out - all the shopping, upscale, "down" scale any scale as well are all the restarants you need. Lakes all around, golf, Cowen Preforming Arts Center with plays etc that perform in Dallas stop here East Texas Sympony is quite good. Must check it out !!!

Last edited by Mark Senior; 06-29-2008 at 01:22 PM..

Old 08-23-2008, 01:58 AM

4 posts, read 11,573 times
my family wishes to relocate to a town in tx with a population of 6000-12ooo, near lake within 30 miles or so , being i now live in a largely white pop. in mo , that to is what i would prefer . any ideas?

Old 08-25-2008, 01:59 AM

12,498 posts, read 26,979,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassymo View Post
my family wishes to relocate to a town in tx with a population of 6000-12ooo, near lake within 30 miles or so , being i now live in a largely white pop. in mo , that to is what i would prefer . any ideas?
There are MANY towns in Texas of that size located near a lake. You would have to narrow your specifics down a little more for me to be able to help you any.

Old 08-25-2008, 10:52 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
The jasper area. would be a good fit in thast it is close to sam rayburn lake and toledo bend lake.

Old 08-25-2008, 03:23 PM

4,604 posts, read 8,228,724 times
Quote:
Use maps.google.com and search on Texas. Focus near Dallas. See those blue things? Those are lakes. Most of those towns could meet your criteria.

Texoma, Possum Kingdom, Cedar Creek, Tawakoni, Fork, Palestine, Limeston, Belton, Stillwater, Toledo Bend, Sam Rayburn... you get the picture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas