Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:46 AM

430 posts, read 1,359,868 times

Advertisements

Texas unemployment/COL is low because its a low-tax state with strong tort-reform and few if any unions who spend their time whining. Texas has an EXCELLENT education system and very strong rule of law as well. Finally, cities and business work together to plan for the future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2008, 11:52 AM

304 posts, read 1,127,772 times
Unemployment is about 3.5% in CC and cost of living is low. Jobs are plentiful (only about 10% of job openings are or ever have been in the local newspapers. New construction of homes are still very strong in Corpus. Last evening my wife had a conversation with 3 neighbors about electricity bills for last month. Ironically, we have the largest home per square foot and last months electrictiy bill was $93.00 and thats with my wife running her financial consulting business out of our home. One neighbor said her last months electric bill was $400, the other said hers was $350. We even have 2 electric water heaters and 2 central air conditioning units. Both neighbors said they keep their thermostats at 72 degrees. We keep ours at 78 degrees. You have more control over your expenses than you often times think you have.

Old 07-17-2008, 04:02 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,909,608 times
Overall Texas is rated the best place to do bnusiness right how and i the near future. It how leads the nation in fortune 500 companies. It is just oil but eneregy overall and many other businesses. Its a big state and you will find areas that are suferign from the econom ylike always but it has several mtero areas and medium cities that are booming.

Old 07-17-2008, 07:37 PM

420 posts, read 1,237,065 times
Wow!!! These responses are awesome!!!! I currently live in Wisconsin, and I really want to relocate to Texas in the near future. Thanks for all your responses, I guess the hype is true. Everything is big in Texas!!! LOL

Old 07-17-2008, 09:37 PM

10,447 posts, read 49,677,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ministers View Post
Wow!!! These responses are awesome!!!! I currently live in Wisconsin, and I really want to relocate to Texas in the near future. Thanks for all your responses, I guess the hype is true. Everything is big in Texas!!! LOL
It's all true minister but dont tell anyone else ok? We dont want it to get too overcrowded.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:35 AM

50 posts, read 168,069 times
There are many places with a lower cost of living then Texas.

Texas is being over run with illegals, high utilities and crime just like California.

Old 07-18-2008, 06:11 AM

8,376 posts, read 30,716,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmora View Post
Texas is being over run with illegals, high utilities and crime just like California.

And like California, this has been going on for a considerable amount of time now.

Old 07-18-2008, 09:31 AM

2,935 posts, read 6,719,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolmora View Post
There are many places with a lower cost of living then Texas.

Sure there are places with lower COL, but do they afford the same opportunities? For myself, being in high tech, I have a number of choices as to where I can live and make a decent salary. Iowa Falls might be pretty and inexpensive, but when it comes to finding a job my family would starve. In Dallas or Houston the large number of corporate offices increase the opportunities significantly.

Old 07-18-2008, 12:31 PM

439 posts, read 1,242,783 times
I think rising oil prices have helped Texas considerably. I myself work in the aerospace industry and my company has quite a few high paying engineering job openings. Also in Houston the Medical Center is growing like crazy. So it aint just oil.

Old 07-18-2008, 01:17 PM

304 posts, read 1,127,772 times
Government jobs in cities in most services and especially urban planning are growing to handle the rapid expansion in government services and infrastructure. DFW, SA, Houston and CC adding employees. Financial service and insurance firms adding employees as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas