Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2008, 08:11 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Took the accent test and it pegged my as 100% Canadian. That's good considering that is where I'm from.

Everyone keep telling my 15 year old daughter that the boys in Austin will just love her Canadian accent. Her reply is that she does not have an accent. I just got her to take the quiz and it came up Canadian! Guess she does have an accent.

I'll have to talk to someone next year and have them rate me on this quiz. I seem to pick up local accents wherever I go. Being Irish descent, you should hear me when I come back from a trip to the ole sod!

Thanks for the link THL.
Well, from what I hear about our state capitol these days, you are not likely to pick up a Texas/Southern accent in Austin, at any rate. California, maybe? LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2008, 05:07 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,110,686 times
Born and raised Texan, with one parent from TX/OK and the other from Michigan...

...and I have a "western" accent?! Weird. I can say that there's a sub-dialect up here in the Pac NW. They pronounce "bag" so that it ends like "vague" but with a little more "ee" to it..almost "beeg." Not quite like the upper midwest. Also they say the word "both" as though it has an "L" in it: "bolth."

Never heard anything like these before, and I certainly don't say those words that way, so if I have a "western" accent, there's definitely a "northwestern" one.

Old 08-01-2008, 06:46 PM

2 posts, read 6,268 times
Default accent

accent quiz was right on the money - NY, NJ accent and we don't really say Joisey but use guys (sounds like youths, the way we say it - if you ever watched the movie My Cousin Vinny - you know what exactly what I mean)
I love Southern accents and can't wait to move to Texas in two months.

Old 08-01-2008, 09:10 PM

1,178 posts, read 3,836,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasReb View Post
Ok y'all,

Much has come up lately about Texas speech, and a while back we did the "What American Accent Do You Have" quiz/survey. Lots of good comparrisons, but something that was rightfully brought up was certain problems in it (On, Dawn and Don, one of the worst).

Here is Part II of the same...which welllll, sorta/kinda corrects a few errors from the earlier one. Still not perfect, but maybe better than the first one.

Y'all try this one when you have a chance and post your results (I will do the same in my follow-up in a minute)!

Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com
Reb, I took that test, and I ended up getting "Neutral", even though I live in the South (Atlanta suburbs). I have always lived here.

I've taken another test, though, and gotten Southern, with Midland second.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:32 AM

10,239 posts, read 19,610,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scraper Enthusiast View Post
Reb, I took that test, and I ended up getting "Neutral", even though I live in the South (Atlanta suburbs). I have always lived here.

I've taken another test, though, and gotten Southern, with Midland second.
Scraper E, I have seen others from other Deep South states say the same thing. That is, getting neutral in their results.

Do you think that maybe living in the Atlanta suburbs might have some bearing on it? Just curious...because, at least here, a true Texas/Southern accent in large urban areas like the DFW metroplex, Austin, etc, is becoming almost a novelty in its own right!

Old 08-02-2008, 11:56 AM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
I have a Southern Midwestern Californian accent. Grandparents and ancestors all from the deep south, whose speech and ways partially passed on to parents. I was born and grew up in the midwest. Have lived in Cali for 28 years.

Old 08-02-2008, 12:08 PM

679 posts, read 2,834,190 times
I have a Southern Midwestern Californian accent. Grandparents and ancestors all from the deep south, whose speech and ways were partially passed on to parents. I was born and grew up in the midwest. Have lived in Cali for 28 years.

ETA...okay, I just took the test and it says I have a SOUTHERN accent. Shocked me a little because I thought my accent was all mixed up. I guess it's more southern than anything else. I know that when I talk fast, it really comes out. When I first moved to Cali, people I worked with would laugh at how I talked. From then, I tried to speak more carefully. At least when I get to Texas, my speech will be at home. To this day, I still say y'all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas