Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-17-2014, 06:41 PM

12,735 posts, read 21,811,191 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majicdonjuan View Post
I don't know about that - my largely black Houston-based social circle seems to be prospering. It's not just the oil elites - there's no shortage of work for doctors, nurses, lawyers, shipyard workers, business owners, blue-collar oil laborers, etc. and at rising wages.

I think the Texas Observer article you posted makes some good points, but it's from the perspective of an E-J crusader, and I'll be the first to admit that Houston's E-J record is nothing to write home about. However, he ignores literally all of the economic growth that minorities have seen in the city since the 80s when he first lived there.

Poor people don't run anything, anywhere, and Houston is no different. As far as minorities irrespective of income level, Houston has the third highest percentage of minority-owned businesses in the country (41.3%), behind the only two large regions with a proportionally higher level of minorities, Miami (53.4%) and LA (41.9%). For reference that number is 28.1% in DFW. (Where Do Minority-Owned Businesses Flourish in the U.S.? - NationalJournal.com)

Minorities in Houston are largely making their money via entrepreneurship moreso than conventional work. While I agree it would be nice if there was a higher level of minority representation in O&G, minorities are doing better in Houston than many, many other places in the country. There is a ridiculous amount of opportunity there.
All of this will SOON change, especially since many oil companies are working on diversifying their workforces. Africans are represented pretty nicely in higher level.

Old 09-17-2014, 09:25 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,466,953 times
Now this is ridiculously insecure.
Dumping on Dallas | CW39 NewsFix

Old 09-17-2014, 10:16 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,517,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Now this is ridiculously insecure.
Dumping on Dallas | CW39 NewsFix
So what if it is ? There are insecure people in every town. And isn't searching the internet for any critiques of Dallas a bit insecure>>> CW39 does anybody watch that channel?

Old 09-18-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
So what if it is ? There are insecure people in every town. And isn't searching the internet for any critiques of Dallas a bit insecure>>> CW39 does anybody watch that channel?
Actually I was on the phone with A friend who is from Houston. And the news was on and he mentioned a segment called "Dumping on Dallas"..and I was shocked!! he said they show that segment every night with different stuff about Dallas......I was thinking ..Wow..they really envy Dallas more than I thought....I started blushing...lol

Old 09-18-2014, 12:23 PM

6,294 posts, read 7,517,529 times
Quote:
Actually I was on the phone with A friend who is from Houston. And the news was on and he mentioned a segment called "Dumping on Dallas"..and I was shocked!! he said they show that segment every night with different stuff about Dallas......I was thinking ..Wow..they really envy Dallas more than I thought....I started blushing...lol
So your friend is one of those who are ridiculously insecure and envious of Dallas, maybe? I personally have never heard of this segment and will agree that it is over the top in media pandering especially if it is on, on a daily basis...

Old 09-18-2014, 01:15 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,730 times
Memorial Park master plan is underway.. preliminary plans show NINE land bridges spanning barriers (roads and rail road tracks) throughout the park.

Memorial Park proposal bridges history and ecology - Houston Chronicle

Quote:
The long-range plan was commissioned by the Houston Parks and Recreation Department, the Uptown Park tax increment reinvestment zone and the privately-funded Memorial Park Conservancy. The internationally-renowned landscape architecture firm Nelson Byrd Woltz is nearly three months into a 10-month design process, and should have the master plan complete by April, when it would go before the council for a vote.

He used maps, drawings and aerial views to explain the park's ecological and cultural histories, also unveiling a dramatic solution to one of the landscape's biggest problems. Woltz is proposing a grass- and tree-covered land bridge, 800 feet long, that would rise gently across Memorial Drive, over a tunnel, to reconnect the park's north and south sides.

While it's not realistic to remove the street, which is crucial to Houston's traffic circulation, the land bridge is "a kind of triumph ... the park wins," Woltz said.

The park's recreational amenities also would be improved. High-activity areas currently on the park's south side could be relocated within the park to protect the least-disturbed, fragile ecologies along the bayou - an area Woltz sees as a preserve for people on foot or on bikes.

The Uptown Park TIRZ is committed to spending $100 to $150 million on the restoration projects and infrastructure, project director Sarah Newbery said.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:16 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,973,778 times
Quote:
Never heard of it, so I had to Google. It's on the joke of a news network the CW and they do not even do it anymore.

Old 09-18-2014, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Lance View Post
So your friend is one of those who are ridiculously insecure and envious of Dallas, maybe? I personally have never heard of this segment and will agree that it is over the top in media pandering especially if it is on, on a daily basis...
No He doesn't envy Dallas. We are good friends.When he moved to Dallas I let him stay with me for a month until he got a job(years ago). He lives back in houston and he never knew about the Dallas and Houston rivalry,so when he mentioned that segment he was confused on what it was....Then I had to explain to him what it was......and he laughed and bought right into it....He mentioned how Houston weather always feels like Hawaii...lol

Old 09-18-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by h town repn View Post
It goes both way's. . Last night i was watching this gossip show dish nation and apparently they are honoring cities and this week was dallas.. they had 2 people on from Dallas I don't know who they were or what they do but anyways the host asked both of Em what they liked most about dallas the lady said " well I was born and raised here so I love EVERYTHING about dallas" she looked like she came straight from the 1950 ' s.. anyway then it was the guy's turn.. and what he said really made me laugh.. His favorite thing about dallas was that and I quote "it's not houston". This is all he could think of lol nobody mentioned houston the show was honoring dallas.. There was an awkward laugh session and the host had too step in and say "ohh well we are honoring houston next week soon yeah" Lol cmon dallas is so boring that it needs to bring up houston in every event mentioned for dallas. Just go watch the conan Obrien show he did in Dallas it's on YouTube.
oh shut up "Newbie"...

Old 09-18-2014, 02:07 PM

3,231 posts, read 4,571,730 times
I like how the article on the 100+ million dollar renovation to Memorial Park gets ignored while people continue to bicker about which city references the other the most.. Houston and Dallas are like NYC and Chicago.. Their history will always be intertwined.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas