Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2010, 09:48 AM

2,930 posts, read 5,272,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
Says who?...houstonians?....Dallas havent died yet...we been building and building and building....thats what they hate...they would sell their soles to try and make everyone believe that Dallas is doomed.....I say build as many as we can get and and let the city grow into em......Houstonians try so hard to old our office vacancy over our heads while they glorify theirs...but if theirs is so much better at 12-13% why are they not building out the roof?....we are still building more than them....and recession or not, more and more cranes are slowly popping up around DTDallas AGAIN!!!....we cant be stopped....and if we can...it hasnt happend yet!!...overbuilding and all...
now what sense does this make? I mean really?

It's not just Houstonians, believe me. I don't know why you seem to take so much pride in becoming Miami on the prarie. If quanitiy is what you want, more power to you, but Dallas should be more focused on trying to fill up existing Office Space. You guys may be building more than us right now, but you're only catching up to what we have already been building for decades. East downtown Houston is still building up and is keeping on pace quite nicely. The new park has brought more development and interest to the area than you realize. We already have 2 stadiums downtown and in the process of adding a third which will spur more development on the other side of 59, so don't act like Houston isn't building up either.

And you bring up our vacancy rate of 12-13%. That's all of the Houston area. Downtown Houston is below 12%, which what permitted adding 2 more skyscrapers. Downtown Dallas alone is over 25%. Sorry, but I'm missing how that's would even be comparable with a 12% downtown vacancy rate (which Houston doesn't even have!)

Old 07-06-2010, 10:10 AM

659 posts, read 1,376,922 times
Quote:
Says who?...houstonians?....Dallas havent died yet...we been building and building and building....thats what they hate...they would sell their soles to try and make everyone believe that Dallas is doomed.....I say build as many as we can get and and let the city grow into em......Houstonians try so hard to old our office vacancy over our heads while they glorify theirs...but if theirs is so much better at 12-13% why are they not building out the roof?....we are still building more than them....and recession or not, more and more cranes are slowly popping up around DTDallas AGAIN!!!....we cant be stopped....and if we can...it hasnt happend yet!!...overbuilding and all...
Note to self: don't hire Dallasboi for development team. (I'm pretty sure he sucks at Monopoly too...)

Old 07-06-2010, 10:28 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by feufoma View Post
Note to self: don't hire Dallasboi for development team. (I'm pretty sure he sucks at Monopoly too...)
(im pretty sure u suck at hiding the envy you carry).

Old 07-06-2010, 10:41 AM

Quote:
(im pretty sure u suck at hiding the envy you carry).
Dallasboi, don't make me laugh out of my chair. Trust me, there's nothing to envy about building a bunch of buildings just to be building. Houston is focused on creating a vibrant city center that already has buildings and still adding more abeit just a little slower than Dallas at the time.

I do think the bridge is going to make a statement though, but still a waste of money through these economic times.

Old 07-06-2010, 10:42 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
First, Dallas is NOT building more office towers than Houston, nor does DT Dallas have more cranes in the sky than DT Houston. And we've already mention that in Dallas, you see buildings built more on speculation, so they'll go up, even if there is no purpose for them.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:17 AM

5,673 posts, read 7,454,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface713 View Post
First, Dallas is NOT building more office towers than Houston, nor does DT Dallas have more cranes in the sky than DT Houston. And we've already mention that in Dallas, you see buildings built more on speculation, so they'll go up, even if there is no purpose for them.
I agree...this has been this way for YEARS!!!!!!!....so why do houstonians still gripe about it when we do it?....Just take it for what it is..if there is a lesson for Dallas to learn from this...we will....but if its anything like the lessons we was supposed to learn from overbuilding in the past then im not worried because we still keep pushing....and I think thats the problem that SOME houstonians have.....they think with all the overbuilding in the past and corruption that Dallas has had in the past,dallas should no longer exist or should be obsolete by now or something..lol....but we are not gong anywhere...when peole come here statistics go out the window and at the end of the day people just want to see a colorful, vibrant ,edgy city. They dont care about the office vacancy when they are partying and enjoying themselves. The statisical stuff is what Houstonians use for themselves to prove to THEMSELVES that Houston is indeed better than Dallas.Its only because they know at face value Dallas wins everytime they visit.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:47 AM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Come on guys, both cities are great american cities. Dallas wins in certain categories, and Houston trumps Dallas in others. This argument is going no where, there will be no winner here. You can name zillions of things that are better in the one over the other and vice versa.

I see this thread was started by someone in Austin. Austinites And SAers pit us as a distraction to cover up how sucky those cities are.

Both Dallas and Houston are super, lets just leave it at that.

Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM

9,221 posts, read 15,958,071 times
Quote:
I agree...this has been this way for YEARS!!!!!!!....so why do houstonians still gripe about it when we do it?....Just take it for what it is..if there is a lesson for Dallas to learn from this...we will....but if its anything like the lessons we was supposed to learn from overbuilding in the past then im not worried because we still keep pushing....and I think thats the problem that SOME houstonians have.....they think with all the overbuilding in the past and corruption that Dallas has had in the past,dallas should no longer exist or should be obsolete by now or something..lol....but we are not gong anywhere...when peole come here statistics go out the window and at the end of the day people just want to see a colorful, vibrant ,edgy city. They dont care about the office vacancy when they are partying and enjoying themselves. The statisical stuff is what Houstonians use for themselves to prove to THEMSELVES that Houston is indeed better than Dallas.Its only because they know at face value Dallas wins everytime they visit.
Yes, people love to walk by tall, empty, dark skyscrapers! Though, since it's Dallas, the empty towers will probably have LED lights of some kind.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:27 PM

The thread is entertaining to me. Dallas and Houston have both made mistakes with their city. While I wish Houston would focus more on asthetics too, I have to say Houston is a tad more successful right now in correcting their past mistakes.

Houston primary mistake was the laxed zoning ordinance laws which make the city feel chaotic, diversified, and even "ugly" in many parts of the city. Houston has started to focus on densifying the urban cores and developing deed restrictions to somewhat counter this problem. Notice, most of the new develoments within Houston's core look just as good, if not better than Dallas. They also have a plan now with lightrail.

Dallas has proven that its trying to prove to outsiders that its not your typical Texas city even if it means oversaturating their market. They continue to throw up empty condos when there's no market, large urban centers with large billboard TV screens with no one to watch them except on game nights. They continue to waste millions of dollars on unnecessary things like bridges and what not. These things definitely look cool, no doubt, but its still fun to call them out on it, i'm sure the same way people love to call out Houston for its past mistakes.

It's just funny to see the mistakes in Dallas being repeated. After a brutal beating with the hyped Victory Park, it sees like the focus would shift a little to creating vibrant centers. I applaud their efforts with the deck park, the success of the Uptown area, and the new Arts district, but continuing to oversaturate a market that's not even there is far more ludicrous and spells DISASTER. True Dallas may not be going anywhere, but it will be in the state of Miami if it doesn't get its act together.

Old 07-06-2010, 12:40 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2H (ComingtoHouston) View Post

Houston primary mistake was the laxed zoning ordinance laws which make the city feel chaotic, diversified, and even "ugly" in many parts of the city. Houston has started to focus on densifying the urban cores and developing deed restrictions to somewhat counter this problem.
I actually love Houston's lack of zoning.

I hated living in san Antonio and having to go so far to get to anything.

Also, I don't see the big deal about density.

I love space, I love less dense areas.

dense parts are okay, but anything other than random pockets is too much for me.

I like the density of Midtown. That type of density is good in my book
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas