Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 09:07 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,950,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownLove View Post
Its the same for all cities. We have 3 major airports and a dozen private ones that take up over 125 sq miles of land.

Houston has two of the nations largest parks and some of the largest nature conservatories. Houston has over 50 sq miles of parks.

The entire half of the city is almost vacant. Even areas such as midtown Houston has huge plots of empty land. I posted an article last week.

Houston might be using less land than Dallas even though Dallas is 200 sq miles smaller.

All cities have what you mentioned it is not an uncommon thing to be using half the land the city claims.

although Dallas County does not seem that vacant to me:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ighted.svg.png

look at the flood plains in Harris county:
http://www.corpsnedmanuals.us/FloodD...loodplains.jpg

look how much of the land area is left empty:
//pics4.city-data.com/tym/un2620.png

here is a population density map for the city:
http://www.westhouston.org/COH%20200...%20Density.png
I got this information from the North Central Texas Council of Governments. Parts of Dallas County is very vacant. I live 10 mins away from Lancaster. There's farms and empty land everywhere but on the other side of the city it's very populated.

That map only shows the city limits.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 PM

18,495 posts, read 32,959,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallaz View Post
I got this information from the North Central Texas Council of Governments. Parts of Dallas County is very vacant. I live 10 mins away from Lancaster. There's farms and empty land everywhere but on the other side of the city it's very populated.
oh I don't doubt your info.

anyway take a look at the maps I posted in the last post. you can see the population density over a google map or in google earth. it is really cool.

makes me wonder why have all these extra counties in our metro. the densities there are too low to shade

Old 08-02-2011, 09:27 PM

Quote:
oh I don't doubt your info.

anyway take a look at the maps I posted in the last post. you can see the population density over a google map or in google earth. it is really cool.

makes me wonder why have all these extra counties in our metro. the densities there are too low to shade
I seen the maps. I wish I could go back in time and make Harris County smaller it isn't fair that it is bigger than Dallas County.......LOL

You know Harris County was originally called Harrisburg County.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
I seen the maps. I wish I could go back in time and make Harris County smaller it isn't fair that it is bigger than Dallas County.......LOL

You know Harris County was originally called Harrisburg County.
yeah I know. The county seat was Harrisburg (which was bigger than Houston).

But Houston outgrew and eventually swallowed Harrisburg 9I am not certain but I think Harrisburg is now a a Houston district).

after Houston became the county seat the burg was dropped.

I wish Harris county was smaller too. I wish it was just a little bigger than beltway 8.

if it was that small then all the Dallas posters would shut up about it being so large acting like the population is spread across the county and wanting to add poor Fort Worth along to win a match.

you think Harris County is big you should go back and see the sizes of the original counties.

There were only about 25 of them originally and Harrisburg was one of the smallest.

they set up a county whereever there was a county seat and out west the only seat in most of west Texas was San Antonio so Bexar County stretched from almost to the Valley to the Panhandle. HUGE

Old 08-02-2011, 10:07 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,221 times
This topic made me revisit those New York Times Census maps. I was looking at the one for population density, and, man, Houston does have a few VERY dense neighborhoods. I was surprised. There were a few tracts that had more than 20,000 people per square mile -- one tiny, little tract with 55,000 people per square mile! Dallas's top tract that I could find was around 20,000, with most inner-most city areas averaging between 6,000-12,000 per square mile. Uptown, obviously, was the most consistent large area with good density. I'm going to have to concede to Houston -- they have a lot more high density neighborhoods than I gave them credit for. Granted, I'm not familiar with them and they could be nice or terrible areas, but they're there at least.

In the end, though, both Houston and Dallas have another century to go before they start competing with the likes of Chicago, LA, and New England in density.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
This topic made me revisit those New York Times Census maps. I was looking at the one for population density, and, man, Houston does have a few VERY dense neighborhoods. I was surprised. There were a few tracts that had more than 20,000 people per square mile -- one tiny, little tract with 55,000 people per square mile! Dallas's top tract that I could find was around 20,000, with most inner-most city areas averaging between 6,000-12,000 per square mile. Uptown, obviously, was the most consistent large area with good density. I'm going to have to concede to Houston -- they have a lot more high density neighborhoods than I gave them credit for. Granted, I'm not familiar with them and they could be nice or terrible areas, but they're there at least.

In the end, though, both Houston and Dallas have another century to go before they start competing with the likes of Chicago, LA, and New England in density.
they are a mixed bag. The most dense one is where the condos are in greenway plaza which is really nice. the most dense large track is the gulfton area and that area is rough.

Other rough high density areas include Sharpstown and Greenspoint.

I don't fault you for not realizing that Houston has some fairly dense neighborhoods. People see that the city is as large as Jacksonville and assume it is the same. Houston has tons and tons and tons of empty land which means there are areas that are doing double and triple duty.

The lot size in the older areas are very small so although there are a plethora of single family homes mixed in with the townhomes and apartment complexes, the single family homes don't occupy that much land which makes it possible to maintain 8000ppsm to 12,000ppsm average for the entire south west Houston area.

unlike Dallas, the inner areas of Houston isn't the most dense. infact the east side of the inner loop is rather empty and brings down the average.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:35 PM

Can we talk about something other than density. This subject bores me LOL............

Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Can we talk about something other than density. This subject bores me LOL............
introduce something new and exciting just don't give us more pics of that bridge

Old 08-02-2011, 10:41 PM

Quote:
introduce something new and exciting just don't give us more pics of that bridge
I'm not. LOL

Ummmmmm let me think........... Do Downtown Houston have another arena other than the Toyota Center? (that's not located on a College Campus)

Old 08-02-2011, 10:49 PM

Quote:
I'm not. LOL

Ummmmmm let me think........... Do Downtown Houston have another arena other than the Toyota Center? (that's not located on a College Campus)
lol you know that the Minute Made Park is right next to the Toyota center
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas