Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 06:53 PM

343 posts, read 805,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairobi View Post
Yes, those things are facts, but when they are spun to be used as negatives against Houston, they become, thus making it an attack on the city. So again, it works both ways. Something else I didn't bring up is when we pick on DFW for having less greenery.there's also the matter of Dallas being more segregated. Those are some facts for you, but Dallasites hate for those things to be brought up, and they get right back to calling us bullies and haters.

But y'all are making me laugh with the negatives list of your city. You and Dallasboi couldn't even make it to number 5 without adding a "but" in there about how it's still better than Houston.

Would it really kill y'all to hit your town below the belt? C'mon. Even New Yorkers are good at being able to put down their own city.
Those are facts, and I agree with both of them... Materialistic and sterile on the other hand? Totally hypocritical and subjective. COME ON Nairobi, I will list more negatives for you. The 'buts' at least show that Dallas is working on improving these things and Houston is as well.

Dallas is TOO HOT
Dallas is not near any cool cities
Dallas proper is kind of segregated
The people are not as friendly as Houston
The culinary scene does not match Houston
The violent crime rates are too high
parts of the city get neglected
sometimes the projects are TOO flashy
Dallas has no ocean or dramatic scenery besides its hills

Please stop pretending you are such a bi-partisan saint. This is absolutely ridiculous. I can, and do, put down Dallas when necessary (even I think the location for the MMH bridge is ridiculous. I don't think it's ugly but come on...a little unnecessary) but at least I acknowledge it is working on improving things

I do not see Houston posters often disparaging Houston without mentioning Dallas. It comes from both sides and it is funny to me how you think that it is the Dallas posters who are so guilty about this. A little civic pride never hurts

Old 04-09-2012, 07:10 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nakold23 View Post
Those are facts, and I agree with both of them... Materialistic and sterile on the other hand? Totally hypocritical and subjective. COME ON Nairobi, I will list more negatives for you. The 'buts' at least show that Dallas is working on improving these things and Houston is as well.
Hypocritical in what way? Sterility and materialism aren't necessarily negatives. Some people like that.

Quote:
Dallas is TOO HOT
Dallas is not near any cool cities
Dallas proper is kind of segregated
The people are not as friendly as Houston
The culinary scene does not match Houston
The violent crime rates are too high
parts of the city get neglected
sometimes the projects are TOO flashy
Dallas has no ocean or dramatic scenery besides its hills
That's more like it.

Quote:
Please stop pretending you are such a bi-partisan saint. This is absolutely ridiculous. I can, and do, put down Dallas when necessary (even I think the location for the MMH bridge is ridiculous. I don't think it's ugly but come on...a little unnecessary) but at least I acknowledge it is working on improving things

I do not see Houston posters often disparaging Houston without mentioning Dallas. It comes from both sides and it is funny to me how you think that it is the Dallas posters who are so guilty about this. A little civic pride never hurts
I know I'm biased, and I'm certainly not innocent, but I'm just trying to clear the air, so it can no longer be said one side is more guilty than the other.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:46 PM

9,221 posts, read 15,955,543 times
Quote:
Yes, it is a very nice picture.
Quote:
They must have been asking to get cussed out.

What thread is this?
Actually, the first quote is from someone who became one of my best friends. The last quote comes from an ex from high school.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:49 PM

4,775 posts, read 8,841,718 times
I actually had a great time in Houston this weekend. I will let you children carry on. Have a blessed day.

Old 04-09-2012, 07:52 PM

343 posts, read 805,270 times
Quote:
Hypocritical in what way? Sterility and materialism aren't necessarily negatives. Some people like that.

That's more like it.

I know I'm biased, and I'm certainly not innocent, but I'm just trying to clear the air, so it can no longer be said one side is more guilty than the other.
You are right, looking back on it I got a little too angry... The more I think about it the more pointless this whole argument is.

I'll just take comfort in the fact that we live in Texas' two greatest cities

Old 04-09-2012, 07:58 PM

I drove on the MHH bridge over the weekend, too. When you don't think about where you are, the bridge is nice. When you realize what city you're in, you wonder why there is this big ass bridge in the middle of it. The skyline shot is nice. DT and Uptown Dallas look similar to the view of DT Houston from the southeast. If the arch wasn't so high, the bridge wouldn't look as ridiculous. Like, if there were two separate arches of similar height, or a design like the I-30 bridge.

Old 04-09-2012, 08:04 PM

6,695 posts, read 9,947,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
I drove on the MHH bridge over the weekend, too. When you don't think about where you are, the bridge is nice. When you realize what city you're in, you wonder why there is this big ass bridge in the middle of it. The skyline shot is nice. DT and Uptown Dallas look similar to the view of DT Houston from the southeast. If the arch wasn't so high, the bridge wouldn't look as ridiculous. Like, if there were two separate arches of similar height, or a design like the I-30 bridge.
My mom and I decided to go over the bridge today. (It looks better in person) My mom loves the bridge so much, she recorded it and drove over it two times.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:53 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
I like how the cables give you an animated art show as you drive thru...then BAM the skyline just lit up.....I just love Dallas

Old 04-09-2012, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dallasboi View Post
I like how the cables give you an animated art show as you drive thru...then BAM the skyline just lit up.....I just love Dallas
It's only lit up in white lights tho. Only time I've seen it look like the tacky Omni Hotel light show was on the weekend it opened.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:40 PM

5,673 posts, read 7,452,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae713 View Post
It's only lit up in white lights tho. Only time I've seen it look like the tacky Omni Hotel light show was on the weekend it opened.
No im talking about how the wires are intertwined and change formation as you drive thru...it looks like a mathematic equation or a diagram in a physics text book.....check it out the next time you drive thru.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas