Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 07:07 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYer75 View Post
I went to Dallas for the first time this month. I have been a resident of Houston for the past 4 years.

I was impressed by Dallas. I thought it was a nice smaller city, with all you need for city life. The suburbs are..well, suburbs.

I felt that Dallas has a slight California vibe, while Ft. Worth was so Texan. Interesting with them being in the same metro area.

I prefer Houston because I enjoy really big cities. Houston has more of everything, that's really the only difference. Houston is HUGE next to Dallas. Both have great hoods, sites, restaurants and things to do.

If I had to move to Dallas, I could see myself adjusting rather quickly. My friend simply said "Wow, it's the same exact thing (as Houston)". I thought that was funny. So I know that people like to say one city is better than the other...but Dallas and Houston are more alike than different.
I get the CA vibe in Dallas as well. More southern CA than northern.

I am not sure I would call Dallas a "smaller" city. I've actually never heard it called that by anyone before. It does have 1.2 million people without annexing into major suburban type areas. And the metro area is larger than Houston so I'm not sure that Houston is HUGE compared to Dallas.

I know that Houston has more buildings all over the place, but I'm not sure what else Houston has more of as claimed here.

Houston has larger city limits than Dallas, it covers a lot of land that would be the suburbs of Dallas. When you are in person in either city you don't see the lines that divide city from burbs its just one big expanse.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:20 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R1070 View Post
I get the CA vibe in Dallas as well. More southern CA than northern.

I am not sure I would call Dallas a "smaller" city. I've actually never heard it called that by anyone before. It does have 1.2 million people without annexing into major suburban type areas. And the metro area is larger than Houston so I'm not sure that Houston is HUGE compared to Dallas.

I know that Houston has more buildings all over the place, but I'm not sure what else Houston has more of as claimed here.

Houston has larger city limits than Dallas, it covers a lot of land that would be the suburbs of Dallas. When you are in person in either city you don't see the lines that divide city from burbs its just one big expanse.
Maybe the Inland Empire minus the mountains, definitely not coastal California.

Totally different vibes & people. The Inland Empire leans to the Right just like North Texas, though some areas are increasingly Democratic like Dallas itself.

I still say Dallas feels & looks Midwestern. There is little resemblance to California in Texas outside of the Hill Country, West Texas, Big Bend, & the Gulf Coast.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-29-2012 at 07:29 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 07:21 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
Austin has the whole Northern California vibe going on, not Dallas.

Dallas feels & looks more like a large Midwestern city in comparison though it pretends to be a NYC, LA, Milan, or Paris. Fort Worth on the other hand feels & looks very Western-Southwestern staying true to its roots & doesn't care too much for its neighbor 30 miles to the east. The two cities might as well be on opposite sides of the country that's how little they have in common.

Houston feels & looks like a conglomerate of Los Angeles, New Orleans, & Miami.

Do you ever get tired of sounding so bitter? Dallas and Fort Worth are definitely different, but both are great cities in different ways. Dallas DOES have somewhat of an LA/California vibe. MUCH more than Houston I would add -- not that that's a good or bad thing. Houston has more of a New Orleans/Southern Gulf Coast feel. I've never felt a trace of LA or California in Houston. The fact that water is in close proximity is the only thing the two cities have ever had in common. The personalities of Dallas and LA are MUCH more similar.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:42 PM

12,498 posts, read 27,001,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClarenceBodiker View Post
Do you ever get tired of sounding so bitter? Dallas and Fort Worth are definitely different, but both are great cities in different ways. Dallas DOES have somewhat of an LA/California vibe. MUCH more than Houston I would add -- not that that's a good or bad thing. Houston has more of a New Orleans/Southern Gulf Coast feel. I've never felt a trace of LA or California in Houston. The fact that water is in close proximity is the only thing the two cities have ever had in common. The personalities of Dallas and LA are MUCH more similar.
Downtown Houston looks like a carbon copy of Downtown Los Angeles from afar & street level.

The sheer diversity of Houston is also more on par with LA even though Dallas' metro is larger than Houston's by 500-700K.

Both Houston & Los Angeles are inland-coastal cities with tons of palm trees & beaches in their respective metro areas.

Dallas tries harder to copy the attitude, glitz, & glamour of LA while Houston maintains its Southern identity even though its the 4th largest US city & 5th largest metro. Dallas is the 9th largest city & 4th largest metro.

Driving around Houston you get more of a California/LA vibe than Dallas especially down streets like Bellaire & Westheimer.

Last edited by Metro Matt; 02-29-2012 at 07:51 PM..

Old 02-29-2012, 08:02 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,536,538 times
Quote:
Downtown Houston looks like a carbon copy of Downtown Los Angeles from afar & street level.

The sheer diversity of Houston is also more on par with LA even though Dallas' metro is larger than Houston's by 500-700K.

Both Houston & Los Angeles are inland-coastal cities with tons of palm trees & beaches in their respective metro areas.

Dallas tries harder to copy the attitude, glitz, & glamour of LA while Houston maintains its Southern identity even though its the 4th largest US city & 5th largest metro. Dallas is the 9th largest city & 4th largest metro.

Driving around Houston you get more of a California/LA vibe than Dallas especially down streets like Bellaire & Westheimer.

Disagree completely. Driving around Highland Park you get the vibe way more than Bellaire and Westheimer.. I don't see what size has to do with it. We're talking about the culture of two cities. Houston's personality is totally different -- much more southern and gulf coast. Not to mention, the diversity of Houston and Dallas are almost identical. You keep pretending that Dallas is this whitebread city that is 90%+ white. That is hardly the case, and you know it.

And how does Dallas pretend to copy the ALTITUDE????? LOL, I would LOVE to hear this.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:06 PM

4,435 posts, read 6,307,587 times
Dallas has had the reputation for glitz, glam and flash for decades. I don't think it's trying to be anything but itself.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:22 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,037 times
Quote:
Austin has the whole Northern California vibe going on, not Dallas.

Dallas feels & looks more like a large Midwestern city in comparison though it pretends to be a NYC, LA, Milan, or Paris. Fort Worth on the other hand feels & looks very Western-Southwestern staying true to its roots & doesn't care too much for its neighbor 30 miles to the east. The two cities might as well be on opposite sides of the country that's how little they have in common.

Houston feels & looks like a conglomerate of Los Angeles, New Orleans, & Miami.

I don't get a california vibe from Dallas at all. Its more like a larger, more dense version of OKC if I had to choose another city.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:00 PM

20,516 posts, read 33,556,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo2000 View Post
I don't get a california vibe from Dallas at all. Its more like a larger, more dense version of OKC if I had to choose another city.
Then you must have never been to OKC. There are very little similarities between the two other than maybe topography. OKC is more like Ft Worth than it is Dallas. Dallas has virtually nothing in common with OKC.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:07 PM

8,928 posts, read 14,344,702 times
Quote:
Maybe the Inland Empire minus the mountains, definitely not coastal California.

Totally different vibes & people. The Inland Empire leans to the Right just like North Texas, though some areas are increasingly Democratic like Dallas itself.

I still say Dallas feels & looks Midwestern. There is little resemblance to California in Texas outside of the Hill Country, West Texas, Big Bend, & the Gulf Coast.
The Gulf Coast does NOT resemble anything in California. Dallas does indeed look very Midwestern, but in attitude, it's far more "Hollywood" than Houston.

Houston's palm trees don't make it look any more like Los Angeles than they make Jacksonville look like San Diego.

Your statements get more and more ridiculous and it's definitely clear that you intentionally spin things to make Houston come out better than Dallas, with every chance you get. I'm a Houstonian, and your posts annoy even me. That ought to tell you something.

Old 02-29-2012, 10:08 PM

998 posts, read 1,326,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
Then you must have never been to OKC. There are very little similarities between the two other than maybe topography. OKC is more like Ft Worth than it is Dallas. Dallas has virtually nothing in common with OKC.
I've been to OKC more than a few times and that was enough for me to be honest. Sorry, I don't get a Cali vibe from Dallas. Its closer to OKC than LA IMO. Aside from the fact that the topography is TOTALLY different from southern Cali, dfw is too conservative to be compared to a city like LA. I've spoken previously about the ridiculous "dry" areas throughout the metroplex. The type of mindset that says that is ok doesn't exist in LA. Besides sprawl and several satelite mega-suburbs, what exactly does Dallas have in common with a city like LA? I just don't see it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas